Meena Rana is an Uttarakhandi singer who sings primarily in Kumauni and Garhwali languages. She is considered to be one of the finest female singes of Uttarakhand and is also the most recorded female singer in Uttarakhand. She is often referred to as ‘Lata Mangeshkar of Uttarakhand’ and ‘Sur Kokila of Uttarakhand.
Meena Rana was born as ‘Meena Singh Rana’ on Saturday, 24 May 1975 (age 44 years; as in 2020) in Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. She did her schooling from the Butler Memorial Girls Senior Secondary School, Delhi. She then went to Mussoorie to stay with her elder sister, Uma, where she completed her schooling from Mussoorie Girls Inter College, Mussoorie. Meena did her graduation from Delhi University.
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Meena Rana belongs to a Garhwali Family. Not much is known about her parents.
She has an elder sister named Uma and a brother named Mohan.
She got married to Sanjay Kumola (a music director who runs a recording studio called ‘Surbhi Multi-Track Sound Studio’) on 1 December 2001. The couple has two daughters named Surbhi (Singer) and Pari.
Meena Rana made her singing debut with the Garhwali film “Nauni Pichhadi Nauni” (1992).
In the film, she sang three songs, which were ‘Ni Biwanu Shairu Ma,’ ‘Baith Dola Laadi,’ and ‘Jando Ni Chhaun Mi.’
She has sung in many popular Uttarakhandi albums such as Chand Taro Maa, Meri Khati Mitthi, Darbar Nirala Sai Ka, Utrakhandi Garhwali Teri Meri Maya, Meru Uttarakhand, Chilbilat, Mohana, Chandra, and Lalita Chi Hum, and has collaborated with many popular Uttarakhandi singers such as Narendra Singh Negi, Pritam Bharatwan, Fauji Lalit Mohan Joshi, Anil Bisht, Gajendra Rana, and Manglesh Dangwal. Meena has sung in many languages including Garhwali, Kumaoni, Jaunsari, Jaunpuri, Bhojpuri, Rajasthani, Kargali, Balti, Hindi, and has recorded more than 500 songs in Ladakhi.
Awards & Achievements
- Young Uttarakhand Cine Award for Best Singer Female for the song “Palya Gaun Ka Mohana” in 2010
- Young Uttarakhand Cine Award for Best Singer Female for the song “Au Bulanu Yo Pahara” in 2011
- Young Uttarakhand Cine Award for Best Singer Female for the song “Ham Uttarakhandi Chha” in 2012
- She likes listening to music and travelling.
- In an interview, Meena revealed that before making her singing debut, she had never taken any formal training in singing. She learned music, a few years after her debut.
- Meena Rana started her singing journey at the age of 16 with the Akashvani Club in Mussoorie, where she sang ‘Nainon Me Badra Chhaye’ by Lata Mangeshkar. The club was owned by Mukesh Lal Kumola (a relative) and Ram Lal Kumola, her elder sister’s husband.
- She is inspired by the Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- Mani Bharti and Puran Singh Rawat, folk singers, spotted Meena during one of her performances and contacted her through her sister’s husband, Ram Lal Kumola. Therefore, she went to Delhi in 1991 to record her first song, making her debut with the film “Nauni Pichhadi Nauni” (1992).
- Her husband, Sanjay is also a singer and her elder sister’s brother-in-law. They used to sing together at the Akashvani Club in Mussoorie. Meena’s sister, Uma, thought that Sanjay and Meena will be a good match for each other, and she arranged their marriage.
- In an interview, she revealed that she initially wanted to become a nurse.
- She has performed live shows in both India and abroad including the countries like Oman, UAE, and Australia.