Asin Thottumkal is a former Indian actress who primarily worked in Tamil, Telugu and Bollywood films. Asin is best known for playing the dual role of Kodhai and Andal in Kamal Haasan starter Dasavathaaram. She appeared in the Tamil thriller Ghajini, where she portrayed the role of a struggling model, Kalpana. Asin featured in the Hindi remake of Ghajini starring Aamir Khan.
Asin Thottumkal was born on Saturday, 26 October 1985 (age 36 years; as of 2021) in Cochin, Kerala, India. Her zodiac sign is Scorpio. She completed her schooling till matriculation from Naval Public School in Cochin. Asin actively participated in literary competitions during her school days. She went to St. Theresa’s Higher Secondary School and opted for Humanities for higher studies. Asin graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from St. Teresa’s College in Kochi. IMDb
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 58 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 34-28-34
Asin belongs to a Malayalee Catholic family.
Parents & Siblings
Asin father’s name is Joseph Thottumkal, an Ex-CBI officer, who is now a businessman and mainly deals in furniture and antiques.
Her mother’s name is Dr Seline Thottumkal, a surgeon by profession.
Husband & Children
On 19 January 2016, Asin Thottumkal married Micromax co-founder Rahul Sharma in a Christian wedding followed by a Hindu ceremony.
The couple has a daughter, Arin Sharma, who was born on 24 October 2017.
Reportedly, it was rumoured that Asin and Salman Khan got close while shooting for their film London Dreams. However, Asin denied any romantic relationship with her co-star Salman and revealed in an interview,
Everyone knows that the rumours had no truth in them. These rumours started during ‘London Dreams’. However, I want to clarify that I’m single and not in a relationship and that’s why I think rumours like these get stronger”. The New Indian Express
There were rumours of a link-up between Asin and M.S Dhoni. Both of them had done a commercial ad together for Big Bazaar. The rumours of them being in a relationship surfaced when Dhoni was seen coming out from Asin’s home in Lokhandwala in 2010.
In 2001, at the age of 15, Asin made her acting debut in the Malayalam comedy drama Narendran Makan Jayakanthan Vaka.
In 2003, Asin made her Telugu debut with the film Amma Nanna O Tamila Ammayi. In 2004, she made her debut in Tamil cinema with the Tamil film, M. Kumaran S/O Mahalakshmi. After her debut in the Telugu film industry, Asin worked in Shivamani alongside Nagarjuna, Lakshmi Narasimha and Gharshana. In 2005, Asin appeared in the film Ghajini, co-starring Surya which proved to be her career’s turning point. She appeared in the films, Sivakasi and Majaa in the same year. In 2006, Asin had two releases Varalaru and Annavaram. Her next release was Aalwar and Pokkiri in 2007. Pokkiri was a hit and her role as a TV anchor was appreciated by the audience.
In 2008, Asin’s next movie Dasavatharam was released starring Kamal Haasan.
Asin made a huge impact with her performance in dual roles, Kodhai and Andal. After a successful career in the Tamil film industry, Asin made her debut in Bollywood in 2008, with the remake of her blockbuster Tamil film Ghajini by the same name. Ghajini became the first Bollywood film of 2008 which collected more than ₹1 billion at the domestic box office.
In 2011, her next release was Kaavalan. Asin appeared in her next film Ready, opposite Salman Khan, which became the fifth movie in Bollywood to cross ₹1 billion at the domestic box office. In 2012, Asin was seen in Housefull 2, Bol Bachchan and Khiladi 786. In 2015, Asin appeared in her next film, All Is Well, starring Abhishek Bachchan after which she retired from her acting career.
Asin has featured in several commercial advertisements like Mirinda, Fairever, Colgate, Clinic All Clear, Lux, Tanishq, Tata Sky, Big Bazaar, and Parachute coconut oil.
Asin blacklisted from South Indian Cinema
Asin along with Salman Khan, during the shoot of her film Ready in Sri Lanka, participated in camps to help the Sri Lankan Tamil people who were affected by the Sri Lankan Civil War. But, her generous work was fiercely criticised. Tamil Industry boycotted Sri Lanka because of the inhuman treatment received by Tamil refugees in the country. As a result of it, South Indian Film Artistes Association (SIFAA) issued a statement warning celebrities against attending IIFA in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Asin, being from the Tamil film industry was warned to step back from her film Ready because the shoot of the film was scheduled in Srilanka. But, Asin due to her professional commitment continued her shooting. As a consequence, it was announced that she would not be allowed to shoot in Tamil Nadu and is unofficially blacklisted from South Indian films. In an interview she said,
The cricketers were going there and no one was objecting, businessmen were going and no one was protesting, tourists were going and no one was criticising but only actors were being threatened with penalties for going to Sri Lanka. Instead of boycotting Sri Lanka, more people from the Tamil Nadu film industry should visit Sri Lanka and express solidarity with the people”.
Asin greeted with a black flag
Asin, who went to Mettupalayam, for the shooting of her film Kaavalan, was greeted with a black flag by the activists of the Pro-Tamil organisation Periyar Dravida Kazhagam (PDK). The members gathered together at the location and demonstrated Asin’s visit to Sri Lanka for the shooting of her film, Ready. The Times Of India
- 2003- Best Actress Telugu award for Amma Nanna O Tamila Ammayi at Filmfare Awards South.
- 2003- Best Actress for Shivamani at Santosham Film Awards.
- 2005- Best Actress Tamil award for Ghajini at Filmfare Awards South.
- 2008- Best Actress for Dasavathaaram at International Tamil Film Awards.
- 2009- The most prestigious Kalaimamani award by the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for excellence in the field of art and literature.
- 2009- Star Debut of the Year-Female for Ghajini at IIFA.
- 2009- Superstar of Tomorrow- Female for Ghajini at Stardust Awards.
- 2009- GR8! Women Achiever Award in Cinema at Indian Television Academy Awards.
- 2009- Most Promising Newcomer -Female for Ghajini at Screen Awards.
- 2012- Best Actress for Kaavalan at South Indian International Movie Awards.
- 2012-Pride of Kerala award at the Asianet Film Awards.
- 2013- GR8! Women Achiever Award in Cinema at Indian Television Academy Awards.
- 2013- Pride of South Indian Cinema at South Indian International Movie Awards.
- 2014- Youth Icon of South Indian Cinema at South Indian International Movie Awards.
- 2015- Most Popular Actress Middle East at South Indian International Movie Awards.
Asin owns a Toyota Camry premium saloon and an Audi Q7 SUV.
- Food: Appam, prawns and rice
- Actor: Akshay Kumar, Mohanlal
- Colour: Black and Red
- Poet: William Shakespeare
- Asin has the skill of learning new languages and currently she can speak nine languages which include Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, French, English, Italian, German and Spanish.
- Asin is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer.
- As per custom, Asin was to be initially named Mary after her grandmother but later her father named her Asin, meaning pure.
- In Times 50 Most Desirable women poll, Asin was listed seventeenth in 2011, and sixteenth in 2012 The Times Of India
- As per a poll conducted by Shaadi.com, 49% of females have voted Asin as the ‘Most Eligible Single’.
- Asin is referred to as the “Queen of Kollywood” by the media after her great success and contribution to Tamil Cinema.
- Asin’s father accompanied her in the initial days of shooting. Reportedly, it was rumoured that her co-stars didn’t favour her father coming on the sets frequently. In an interview she said,
- The very first assignment of Asin was a commercial advertisement for BPL Mobile.
- Asin established a trust in the Siriliya Sevana home at Vavuniya, where a total of 150 children ranging from 1-16 years of age, were adopted or sponsored by her trust.
- Asin has been part of the 100 crore club with four of her movies, Ghajini (2008), Ready (2011), Housefull 2 (2012) and Bol Bachchan (2012).
- Reportedly, Asin’s engagement ring costs around ₹6 crores with the initials of both of their name engraved on it.
- Asin has featured in several magazine covers for Vogue, Femina, Cosmopolitan, Filmfare, Verve and many more.