Vivian Fernandes is an Indian Rapper. His nickname is Divine. He became famous all over Mumbai with his debut track, “Yeh Mera Bombay” which released in 2013. Let us find out some more interesting details about Vivian Fernandes life, his family, biography, and other facts.
Vivian Fernandes was born on 2 October 1990 (age 28; as in 2018) in Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He was raised in the chawls of J. B Nagar in Andheri, Mumbai. He was educated at St. John the Evangelist High School, Marol Andheri, Mumbai. He graduated from R.D. National College, Mumbai. Since his childhood, he was inclined towards singing. He started writing rap songs when he was in 11th standard. Inspired by the famous rappers, Eminem and 50 Cent, Vivian started with English rap but later shifted to rap in the Hindi language. He used to accompany his mother to a church in Marol where he practised rap music in a peaceful environment. After this, he named himself ‘Divine.’
Height: 5’ 6”
Weight: 60 kg
Body Measurements: 40′ Chest, 30′ Waist, 14′ Biceps
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Girlfriend & Caste
Vivian was born into a Christian Family. His father was abusive in nature and abandoned his family when Vivian was a child. His mother moved to the middle-eastern country, Qatar in Arab to earn the livelihood; leaving her two children with their grandmother. Vivian has an elder brother, Anthony Fernandes, who relocated to Qatar to help his mother.
During his childhood, Vivian’s friend gave him a CD with the songs of Eminem and 50 Cent. After listening to the songs, Eminem and 50 Cent, Vivian was inspired and started writing rap songs. In his initial days, Vivian took more than 5 hours to compose perfect lyrics. He started his career as an independent artist. He shot his first song “Coming For You” with his Nokia N8 mobile. During his college days, he was a member of Mumbai’s Finest, a hip hop squad in Mumbai and was trained under a rapper called Ace. In 2013, he was noted for his solo debut track “Yeh Mera Bombay.”
In 2013, his autobiographical rap song “Jungli Sher” was released under the Sony Music India. The song covers around 40 locations of Mumbai and was shot on iPhone.
In 2015, Divine collaborated with another rapper, Naezy and referred to the collaboration as Divine and Naezy and released a song ‘Mere Gully Mein’ under Sony Music India, which was a huge hit. It was referred to be the Mumbai’s rap anthem.
In 2017, Divine collaborated with the female rapper, Raja Kumari and composed an old school hip hop vibe to their song, City Slums.
Divine made his singing debut with the Bollywood movie, Mukkabaaz. He sang the song “Paintra” along with the fellow rapper, Nucleya.
Awards & Achievements
- Best Video Of The Year Award – Rolling Stone India – Yeh Mera Bombay in 2014
- Best Electronic Dance Music (EDM) Of The Year – Global Indian Music Academy Awards (GIMA) – Jungle Raja in 2015
- Listed among the ‘Top 10 Artists To Watch Out For’ – BBC Asian Network in 2016
- Musician Of The Year – Outlook Social Media Award in 2018
- Food: Dal-Rice
- Colour: White
- Singers/Rappers: Michael Jackson, Eminem, 50 Cent, Bob Marley, Jay-Z, Lecrae, Tupac Shakur, Nas, Stormzy, and Chance The Rapper.
- Songs: Changes by Tu Pac and Alright by Kendrick Lamar.
- Albums: Illmatic by Nas, Me Against the World by Tupac, and Straight Outta Compton by NWA.
- Hip-Hop Producers: Dr Dre, DJ Premier, and Pharrell Williams.
- Divine established a Mumbai-based crew and a music label with the name, Gully Gang.
- He dislikes beatboxing music genre.
- He is a non-vegetarian.
- He is the first Indian artist to have a solo released worldwide by Apple Music.
- He is the first Indian rapper to rap in freestyle in the Hindi language for BBC 1 radio show, ‘Fire in the Booth’ series.
- His hobbies include travelling and gymming.
- He has a tattoo of a house and a tree on his right forearm and a tattoo of wings of a bird on his right side of the chest.
- He resides in chawl area of J. B. Nagar in Andheri, Mumbai.
- He is a dog lover and has a pit bull, Grumpee.
- He was gifted a computer and a microphone by his mother after he passed out from college.
- He smokes weed.
- On 8 October 2018, he was gifted a ‘Mahindra Thar CRDe’ by the chairman of Mahindra Group, Anand Mahindra.
I’m a fan of desi rap. I see it as a new voice of the next generation. It’s raw, uninhibited, and constantly explores new territories of expression-Just like the Thar. I’m also a fan of the rapper Divine. Yesterday I got a chance to gift one Jungli Sher to another.. pic.twitter.com/lPfK5EGQav
— anand mahindra (@anandmahindra) October 9, 2018
- Zoya Akhtar, film director, was inspired by the life story of Divine when she saw his concert at the Blue Frog Club in Mumbai and decided to make a movie on him.
- In 2019, a Bollywood movie titled, Gully Boy, is released which depicts the life of the rappers Divine & Naezy. The role of Divine is played by Ranveer Singh.