Amrita Singh is an Indian film and TV actress. Starting her career in 1983, Amrita was the talk of the town in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Born in a Punjabi family and married in a Nawab family, Amrita Singh has adapted herself in several characters in real life. Let us check out more about Amrita Singh.
Amrita Singh was born to a Muslim mother and Sikh father on 9 February 1958 (65 years old; age as of 2023) in Hadali, Pakistan. For her primary education, she attended Modern School in New Delhi.
She is 5 feet 1 inch or 155 cm tall and weighs in about 70 kg or 154 lbs. Her eye and hair colour is brown.
Amrita Singh was born to Shivinder Singh Virk and Rukhsana Sultana. Her father was an army officer and her mother was a political associate of late Sanjay Gandhi during the time of National Emergency in 1975-76.
She is the great-granddaughter of Sobha Singh who was a civil contractor in Delhi. Amrita is the great-niece of novelist Khushwant Singh. Actress, Begum Para is her aunt and actor Ayub Khan is her second cousin.
In October 1991, Amrita married Saif Ali Khan (Actor). Before her marriage with Saif Ali Khan, she converted to Islam.
On 12 August 1993, she gave birth to their first child, a daughter, Sara Ali Khan and in October 2001, she gave birth to their second child, a son, Ibrahim Ali Khan.
In 2004, she divorced Saif Ali Khan.
In 1983, she made her Bollywood debut with co-actor, Sunny Deol in Betaab. Following years were the golden period of her career, she appeared in some other hit films such as Sunny (1984), Mard (1985), Saaheb (1985), Naam (1986), Chameli Ki Shaadi (1986), Khudgarz (1987), Waaris (1988), etc. She also played some negative roles in the films like Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman (1992) and Aaina (1993). After the film ‘Rang’ (1993), she quit acting.
She returned to acting in 2002 and appeared in 23rd March 1931: Shaheed in which she played the mother of Bhagat Singh (played by Bobby Deol). In 2005, she joined the TV industry with Ekta Kapoor’s family drama Kavyanjali. In 2013, she appeared in Aurangzeb in which she was paired with Jackie Shroff almost after two decades. In 2017, she played the role of a Principal in an acclaimed drama, Hindi Medium.
In 1994, Amrita won the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress for the film, Aaina. In 2005, she won the Indian Telly Award for Best Actress in a Negative Role for Kavyanjali.
She was linked to Sunny Deol after her first film with him. The couple became very popular in media.
After some years, her relationship with Cricketer Ravi Shastri caught the attention of the public. She engaged to Ravi Shastri in 1986. TIMES NOW
In the late 1980s, she had an affair with late Vinod Khanna.
- Before being an actress, Amrita Singh was a belly dancer. Her mother helped her a lot to be a lead actress.
- Her ex-husband, Saif Ali Khan is 12 years younger to her.
- She loves listening to Ghazals.
- Amrita Singh dressed her daughter, Sara Ali Khan, for Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor’s wedding. Saif Ali Khan wrote a note wishing Amrita good luck in her life before his marriage to Kareena Kapoor. India Today
- When Saif Ali Khan was asked about his divorce in an interview, he replied that Amrita abused both his mother and sister that he could not tolerate.
- Saif revealed that after divorce, he was ordered to pay ₹1 Lakh alimony/month to Amrita until their son, Ibrahim, who was under Amrita’s custody turns 18 years old.