Rahul Roy is an Indian model, actor, and producer. He is best known for his debut film ‘Aashiqui’ in 1990, which established him as an overnight star in Bollywood.
Rahul Roy was born on Friday, 9 February 1968 (age 52 years; as in 2020), in Mumbai. Times of India His zodiac sign is Aquarius. He completed his schooling up to the sixth class from St. Columbus High School, New Delhi. He completed his further schooling from The Lawrence School, Sanawar, Solan in Himachal Pradesh. Later, he completed his B. Com. from Delhi University. YouTube
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Rahul Roy was born in Mumbai, and later, his family shifted to New Delhi. His father Deepak Roy was a businessman in Delhi. His mother Indira Roy worked as a writer for the UNICEF magazine. He has a twin brother Rohit Roy, who is 25 minutes younger to him. His maternal uncle Cory Walia is a well-known name in the fashion world.
He worked with the actress Pooja Bhatt in a few films at the beginning of his career. There were rumours that they were dating each other. They were often spotted together in various parties and events.
There were rumours of Rahul dating the actress, Manisha Koirala while shooting for the Bollywood films Majhdhaar (1996) and Achanak (1998). However, he reportedly started ignoring Manisha to focus on his career, and later, both parted ways.
He was in a serious relationship with the model-turned-actor, Suman Ranganathan. They dated for almost two years, and due to their work commitments, they were not able to give enough time to each other, which resulted in their separation.
In 1998, he met the model Rajlaxmi Khanvilkar in a party, who was earlier married to the actor Samir Soni. Rahul and Rajlaxmi dated for almost two years and finally got married in 2000.
After almost 14 years, the couple got divorced. Reportedly, the reason behind their split was that Rajlaxmi had set up a business in Australia, and she wanted to settle there, but Rahul was not happy with her decision of moving abroad. In an interview, Rahul said,
I have the highest respect for Rani (Rajlaxmi). She didn’t meet me when I was at the peak of my career. She met me when I was down. She has literally carried me on her shoulders although she is 11 years younger. She’s a tremendous woman. We have an amazing relationship. She understands me. Both of us would like to spend more time together, but with her spa and salon that she is doing in Australia, she needs to spend a lot of time there. But, on an average, I go there four times a year and when she comes down she spends at least a month.”
The couple does not have any child. Talking about the divorce, Rahul said,
We have filed for divorce by mutual consent. Rajlaxmi will always remain an integral part of my life. She shares the same sentiment. Her family is still my family and that’s that. I’ll always be there for her.”
In 2016, he was spotted with the supermodel Sadhna Singh, and she is almost half of his age.
In an interview, Rahul talked about Sadhna, he said,
It seemed like I have known her since many years. But we are taking it easy and I am treating the relationship with the utmost respect. She is a remarkable girl with her head on her shoulders. I really feel blessed. We are still getting to know each other, so let’s see where this goes. But one thing’s for sure, this relationship is for keeps… My relationships have always been very serious… When we are ready, I will announce in the proudest manner to the whole world.”
After completing his graduation, he joined his father’s company in Delhi. He met the fashion designer Rohit Khosla, who asked him to give a try in modelling. Rahul started his modelling career, and within 20 days, the designer and choreographer, Hemant Trivedi, spotted Hemant Trivedi spotted him and offered him a modelling project in Mumbai.
After seeing his photos, the Bollywood director Mahesh Bhatt offered him the film Aashiqui (1990). He accepted the offer, and the movie turned out to be a blockbuster. He acted in the film along with the actors like Anu Aggarwal and Deepak Tijori.
He has acted in many Bollywood films including Pyaar Ka Saaya (1991), Junoon (1992), Sapne Sajan Ke (1992), Naseeb (1997), and Phir Kabhi (1999).
In Junoon (1992), his transition from a human face into a tiger became very popular.
In 1993, he acted in the Mahesh Bhatt’s autobiographical film ‘Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayee’ along with Pooja Bhatt.
He has appeared in a few TV serials like Kaise Kahoon (1998), Karishma- The Miracles of Destiny (2003), and Comedy Nights Bachao (2016).
In 2001, he appeared in the film ‘Afsana Dilwalon Ka,’ and after almost four years of this, he appeared in the Bollywood film ‘Meri Aashiqui’ (2005). Unlike his first film, he failed to give a hit film, and the downfall in his career started.
He again came into the limelight, when he participated as a contestant in the first season of Bigg Boss in 2007, hosted by the actor Arshad Warsi. He was the winner of Bigg Boss 1 and received the prize money of Rs. 1 crore.
In 2011, he started his own production company ‘Rahul Roy Productions.’ He continued acting in films and appeared in the films like ‘2B Or Not To B’ (2015), ‘2016 The End’ (2017), ‘Cabaret’ (2019), and ‘Agra’ (2020).
In December 2019, he appeared in the music video ‘Sufiyana Tu.’
- Once, a renowned newspaper published that Rahul Roy was dating a lady double of his age. Later, it was found that the lady was his mother. In an interview, Rahul told this story, he said,
Once I visited Hotel Taj with a group of my friends for a party. My mother was also there already with her friends. She was very beautiful. When she saw me she asked me to dance together. Next day it became a headline of a newspaper. A news was published that, Rahul Roy was caught while dancing with an old lady last night.” YouTube
- While he was shooting for a fight sequence for ‘Jab Jab Dil Mile’ (1994), his jeep brakes got jammed, and he ran out of control. He accidentally hit a man who was watching the shooting of the film. Later, a complaint was filed against Rahul Roy. In an interview, Rahul said,
I don’t know, this man who was selling something, was sitting there watching the shoot despite the production officials having cleared the area. He wasn’t meant to be there. And unfortunately, the skidding jeep hit him and he fractured his thigh bone. But the producer has taken care of that.” Free Press Journal
- In 1993, while he was shooting for the film ‘Gumrah’ in Mauritius, a local newspaper linked him with a notorious dealer named Riyazat Hussain. Later, the director Yash Johar mediated the whole matter and settled the situation. IMDB
- He studied in St. Columbus High School, New Delhi with Shah Rukh Khan.
- At the age of 11, after Rahul’s parents got separated, he moved to a boarding school in Himachal Pradesh along with his brother, Rohit Roy. Actor, Sanjay Dutt was his senior in the school, while the actress Pooja Bedi was his junior. YouTube
- In an interview, Rahul revealed the story behind getting his debut film,
After reading an article that my mother wrote for a fashion glossy, Mahesh Bhatt sahab expressed the desire meet her. That’s when he saw my pictures and asked whether I would want to work in Hindi films. So, my mother asked me to meet Bhatt sahab once. He told me to come and see him at his Juhu home. When I met him, he narrated a line about the film (Aashqui)…and I was convinced about do it.
- The popularity of his debut film Aashiqui (1990) can be assessed with the fact that after its release, the film went on to remain houseful for almost six months. Rahul became very popular after the film’s release, and he is still known as the ‘original Aashiqui boy.’ At that time, his hairstyle became a trendsetter in India.
- After the success of his first film, he signed 47 films in 11 days. But later, he turned down some offers due to his busy schedule.
- He is the owner of Rajpipla Kings, a cricket team of Gujarat’s Iconic VPL-Valiant Premier League.
- In 2017, he joined the BJP at the party headquarters in New Delhi.
- After joining the BJP, he said,
The way Narendra Modi ji and Amit Shah ji have been taking the country forward and the way the perspective of the world towards India has changed in the past two years is remarkable. I am elated to have taken this decision.”
- He has been honoured with life membership of the ‘International Film and Television Club’ of ‘Asian Academy of Film & Television.’
- He is often invited as the chief guest at various events.
- In ‘The Kapil Sharma Show,’ he revealed that initially the character of Shah Rukh Khan in the Bollywood film Darr (1993) was offered to him, but due to his busy schedule, he rejected the offer.
- In an interview, Kareena Kapoor said that Rahul Roy was her celebrity crush.
- He has got a tattoo inked on his left chest.
- His hobbies include swimming, playing cricket, and reading books.
- He is an animal lover, and he posts pictures with various animals on his Instagram account.