Abhishek Singh is a retired Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the 2011 batch of the Uttar Pradesh cadre, rapper, businessman, social worker, and actor. He is known for appearing in the Netflix crime series Delhi Crime 2 (2022). He hit the headlines in October 2023 after he resigned from the service following an 8-month-long suspension.
Abhishek Singh was born on Tuesday, 22 February 1983 (age 40 years; as of 2023) in Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Pisces. After completing his schooling in Uttar Pradesh, Abhishek enrolled at Delhi University’s School of Correspondence & Continuing Education (now known as the School of Open Learning). There, he earned a bachelor’s degree in commerce; he secured a second division. LinkedIn – Abhishek Singh After completing his formal education, he appeared for the Civil Services Examination (CSE) conducted by the UPSC and managed to pass it. He then opted for the Indian Police Service (IPS) and joined the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA) in Hyderabad, Telangana. After completing his training module, he was allotted the Maharashtra cadre. He went on to become an Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) in Mumbai. However, at his father’s urging, he reappeared for the UPSC CSE exams to become an IAS officer. He cleared the exams and secured an All India Rank (AIR) of 94. After that, he reported to the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy Of Administration (LBSNAA) in Mussoorie, Uttarakhand, where he underwent administrative training.
Height (approx.): 6′ 2″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurement (approx.): Chest: 40″, Waist: 32″, Biceps: 14″
Parents & Siblings
His father, Kripa Shankar Singh, is a retired Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre. His mother, Janki Singh, is a homemaker. He has several sisters. One of his sisters’ names is Archana Singh.
Wife & Children
His wife, Durga Shakti Nagpal, is a 2010 batch IAS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre. The couple tied the knot in 2012. She is well-known for her actions against illegal mining in UP. The couple has two daughters, Digara, and Dania.
Abhishek Singh was in a relationship with a girl while preparing for the UPSC CSE. However, the relationship ended when the girl cheated on him. He met Durga while they both were preparing for the civil services exams. They later entered into a relationship and dated each other till their marriage with one another.
After completing his administrative training at LBSNAA, Uttarakhand, he was allotted the Uttar Pradesh cadre. On 29 August 2013, Abhishek Singh was posted at Kanpur Dehat (Rural), where he became a joint magistrate in the Land Revenue Management and District Administration/Sub Divisional Administration. He served in the post till 27 February 2015. He later served as an SDM in Mathura and Gautam Buddh Nagar.
From 16 November 2016 to 13 August 2019, he was sent on an inter-cadre posting to New Delhi, where he served as a deputy commissioner. For this, his cadre was changed from UP to AGMUT. In 2018, he was given an extension of two years in New Delhi; however, he was ordered to go back to his home cadre, Uttar Pradesh, in March 2020, after he went on medical leave.
He then served as an honourary advisor to the BRICS Chambers of Commerce & Industry (CCI). In 2022, Abhishek was appointed as an observer during the Gujarat assembly elections; however, in November 2022, the Election Commission of India (ECI) sent him back to UP after he posted a photo of himself with his official car on social media. He resigned from the services in October 2023 following a suspension of eight months, which occurred after he failed to report to the office following his dismissal as an observer.
He made his acting debut with a Hindi short film titled Chaar Pandrah in 2020. In the film, he played the role of a character named Debashish. The film won many accolades at various international film festivals.
In the same year, he was featured in the music video of the song Dil Tod Ke, which was sung by B Praak. In 2021, Abhishek Singh appeared in the music video of Tujhe Bhoolna Toh Chaaha, sung by Jubin Nautiyal. In the same year, he was seen in the music video of the song Slow Slow, which was sung by Badshah. In 2022, he landed the role of an IAS officer in his first OTT series Delhi Crime Season 2; the show premiered on Netflix. In an interview, he spoke about his role and said,
I was well-prepared for the role. I think the best part about this service is, it trains you to slog your way through with utmost dedication and sincerity. I applied the same principles to acting. However, as I approached the set, I got cold feet. I was reminded of the day when I was appearing for my IAS Interview. There I was, mentally prepared that I will be needing at least 7-8 takes for the first shot! But to my surprise the shot was approved in one take.”
In 2023, he appeared in Yaad Aati Hai’s music video; the song was sung by Harrdy Sandhu.
He was seen alongside Adah Sharma in the 2023 music video Kali Kali Zulfon Ke. He made his debut as a rapper in November 2023 with the song Third Party. The music video of the rap featured Sunny Leone.
In April 2021, Abhishek Singh founded a not-for-profit organisation named United by Blood. The organisation aims to provide blood and plasma to needy patients. The organisation also assisted the authorities in dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic in India by providing food and other essential commodities to the poor. He later started the OxyTaxi initiative in the NCR through which he started providing free-of-cost oxygen cylinders to patients in need. In October 2022, Abhishek initiated the No Shame Movement. The movement aims to help women cope with the trauma that they go through after their intimate photos and videos are leaked by their partners after their breakup. Later, Sara Ali Khan joined the movement.
He is also the founder of a student organisation named Students for Involved Governance and Mutual Action (SIGMA). Abhishek started this organisation along with the students of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) while he was serving in the IAS. It is a student think tank forum, where students from different fields indulge in discussing different types of topics. The organisation also serves as a platform for young job seekers to help them find appropriate employment according to their educational qualifications.
Through his NGOs, Abhishek has played a key role in funding the maintenance and repair of schools in the backward areas of India.
Suspended for Allegedly Misbehaving With A Dalit Teacher
In 2014, the Uttar Pradesh government suspended Abhishek Singh for allegedly misbehaving with a Dalit primary school teacher named Fauran Singh in Mathura. According to sources, while Abhishek was serving as the Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) of Mathura, he called a teacher to his office, where he asked him to do sit-ups for not submitting a report on time. However, when the journalists reached out to the spokesperson of the UP government, they were not able to get a statement regarding the issue from him. Moreover, Abhishek Singh, in an interview, claimed that the charges levied against him were false and that he had not done such a thing. His suspension was later revoked by the state government. The Economic Times
Removal From A Post By The Election Commission of India and Suspension
In 2022, Abhishek Singh was appointed as the General Observer for two assembly constituencies in Ahmedabad, i.e., Bapunagar and Asarwa, by the Election Commission of India (ECI). However, he was soon removed from the post after he shared a photo on Instagram in which he was seen posing in front of the official car allotted to him by the ECI. The commission then wrote a strong-worded letter to him in which it called Abhishek’s posting of the photo on social media as a “publicity stunt.” The ECI, in its letter, wrote,
Abhishek retaliated to the ECI through social media and said that he found nothing wrong with sharing a photo with public property. In his Tweet, Abhishek wrote,
I accept the Hon’ble ECI’s decision with all humility. Though I believe there’s nothing wrong in this post. A public servant, in a car bought by public’s money, reporting for public duty, with public officials, communicating it to the public. It is neither publicity nor a stunt!” Times Now
After his removal, he was asked to report to the office in UP; however, he went on leave without authorisation. After remaining absent for more than two months, Abhishek was suspended by the Yogi Adityanath-led UP government. The Times of India He resigned from his post as an IAS in October 2023.
- In 2021, Abhishek Singh was awarded the Delhiites Lifestyle Award in the Debutant of the Year category.
- In the same year, he received the Most Fashionable Officer of the Year Award at the India Fashion Awards.
- He was given an Iconic Gold Award in 2021.
- In 2021, Abhishek was presented with an award at the Khajuraho International Film Festival (KIFF) in Madhya Pradesh.
- He received a certificate of appreciation from NewsX for Excellence in Public Service in March 2021.
- In October 2022, Abhishek Singh won the GlobalSpa’s Most Inspiring Person of the Year Award.
- In the same year, he received an award from the BRICS Chamber of Commerce & Industry for giving a speech on social welfare.
He owns a Royal Enfield.
- In July 2023, Abhishek Singh was listed in The Times of India’s 40 Under 40 Leaders list.
- While serving as an IAS officer, Abhishek Singh started the World of Wardi initiative. The aim of it is to give a platform for those serving in the Indian Armed Forces to showcase their talents. The initiative was endorsed by many renowned personalities such as Sussanne Khan.
- He passionately follows his hobby of reading and biking.
- Abhishek Singh is a travel enthusiast and has visited many places such as Dubai.
- He likes to take part in adventure sports such as skydiving.
- He often posts his photos while working out on his social media accounts.
- In an interview, he revealed that while serving as the Deputy Commissioner in New Delhi, he adopted a neglected government primary school in Shahdara.
- In June 2022, Singh was invited to give a speech on the talk show TEDxFORESchool.
- In the same year, Abhishek Singh walked the ramp at both the Lakme Fashion Week and The Manish Malhotra Mijwan Couture Fashion Show.
- As of 2023, he has more than 5.1 million followers on Instagram, 15k followers on Facebook, and 39.8k followers on X.
- In 2023, Abhishek Singh invited various Bollywood celebrities such as Shah Rukh Khan and Salman Khan to his hometown in Jaunpur, Uttar Pradesh, to celebrate the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Abhishek Singh is a follower of Guru Rambhadracharya of Tapo Bhumi Jaunpur. Before the release of this debut rap, he visited Ram Bhadracharya and sought his blessings.
- His favourite quote is “Die With Memories, Not Dreams.”