Saira Banu is the wife of the famous Indian music composer, singer, and songwriter A. R. Rahman.
Saira Banu was born on Thursday, 20 December 1973 (age 47 years; as of 2020). Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. Her hometown is in Kutch, Gujarat.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Golden Brown
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Abdul Sattar, worked as a pilot with the Indian Airlines, and later, he joined Saudi Airlines. She has two sisters, and one of her sisters’ name is Meher who is married to the South Indian actor Rashim Rehman.
Husband & Children
She got married to the ace Indian music composer, singer, and songwriter A. R. Rahman on 12 March 1995, and it was an arranged marriage. A. R. Rahman had three conditions of selecting a girl for him which he told his mother. Those conditions were that his future wife should be educated, beautiful, and full of humility. Later, his mother spotted a girl at a mosque, and her name was Meher who is the younger sister of Saira. Rahman’s mother and sisters went to Meher’s house to meet her father, but when she saw Saira she decided to select her as her daughter-in-law. In an interview, A.R. Rahman talked about his marriage. He said,
We had a conversation before marriage, otherwise, we would have separated long back. That was my orientation to her. I had told her, if we have planned dinner and a song comes up, we will have to ditch the dinner.”
The couple is blessed with three children, two daughters and one son. Their eldest daughter is Khatija Rahman who is a musician and director-trustee at A. R. Rahman Foundation, and she is always spotted wearing a burka. Their son, A. R. Ameen, is a playback singer, and their youngest daughter is Rahima Rahman.
- Before getting married to A. R., Saira was a big fan of his songs, and one of her favourite songs was “Urvasi Urvasi” from the Tamil film ‘Kadhalan’ (1994).
- In an interview, Saira shared that when she first met A. R., she asked him only two questions first was whether he could speak English, and the second was that if he could drive a car?
- In an interview, Saira shared that she loved going on a midnight motorcycle ride with her husband.
- According to some media sources, Saira was once stopped by A. R. Rahman from dancing on one of his songs in a talk show. Asianet Newsable
- During an interview, Rahman shared that it was his wife Saira’s idea of making a virtual reality film ‘Le Musk’ (2017). He said,
One day I was chatting with my wife (Saira Banu) and she is fond of perfumes. So, she said, ‘Why don’t you make a movie on perfumes?’ It was actually her initiative. That time I wanted to create a theatre with projections all over and have scent added to it — just as an experiment. But, in three months, somebody gave me a headset and then my wife said don’t create a theatre and rather do it with VR, which is evolving. It was a kind of an experiment and I loved doing it. So now I will look at doing more of it.”
- During a talk show, A. R. talked about his wife. He said,
She’s a bubbly person and loves peppy music. Whenever I drift towards spiritual music she pulls me back saying there’s enough time for that kind of music.”