Udhayanidhi Stalin is a South Indian film actor, filmmaker, and politician who is primarily known for his work in Kollywood (Tamil film industry). He followed in his father’s, M. K. Stalin, footsteps to enter politics by joining the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) in 2019. It is said that Udhayanidhi is being groomed to succeed his father as DMK’s future president.
Udhayanidhi Stalin was born on Sunday, 27 November 1977 (age 43 years; as of 2020) in Madras, Madras State (present-day Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India). His zodiac sign is Sagittarius.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Religion
Grandfather, Parents & Siblings
Udhayanidhi Stalin’s grandfather, M Karunanidhi, was the second Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu who served on the post for almost two decades over five terms between 1969 and 2011. M Karunanidhi died of prolonged illness in 2018.
His father, MK Stalin, is the president of DMK, while his mother, Durga Stalin, is a homemaker.
He has a sister named Senthamarai Sabarish.
Wife & Children
Udhayanidhi is married to Kiruthiga Udhayanidhi, a film writer and director known for her work in Tamil films. She is the head of the Lifestyle Magazine Inbox 1305.
They have been married since 2002 and are the parents of two children, Inbanithi (son) and Tanmaya (daughter).
25/9, Chittaranjan Road, Alwarpet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
As a Filmmaker
Stalin ventured into Kollywood as a film producer and distributor with his production company, Red Giant Movies. His first film as a producer was an action comedy film Kuruvi (2008). The film starred Vijay and Trisha Krishnan in the lead roles.
His next film as a producer was Aadhavan, an action comedy film released on the occasion of Diwali in 2009. His third production was a romantic comedy film ‘Manmadan Ambu’ (2010). He has produced many other films over the course of his career as a film producer. Apart from producing films, he has also worked as a film distributor. His projects as a film distributor include, Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa (2010) Madrasapattinam (2010) Boss Engira Bhaskaran (2010) Mynaa (2010) Bakrid (2019).
As an Actor
Only a couple of years after entering the Tamil film industry as a filmmaker, Stalin made his acting debut through the romantic comedy, Oru Kal Oru Kannadi (2012) co-starring Hansika Motwani and Santhanam. The film starred Stalin in the lead role, and it was also produced by Stalin’s profuction company.
He received the Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut – South for his performance in Oru Kal Oru Kannadi.
He garnered positive reviews for his acting and has since continued to play cameos and lead roles, along with producing and distributing films. He played the lead role of Sakthivel in the courtroom drama ‘Manithan’ (2016), the Tamil-language remake of Arshad Warsi starrer ‘Jolly LLB’ (2013).
As a Politician
In July 2019, Stalin was inducted into the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) as its youth wing secretary. The post of youth wing secretary is considered crucial in the party’s hierarchy as it was also held by Udhayanidhi’s father and president of DMK, MK Stalin, for more than three decades since 1982 before he took u-p the presidential position in 2016.
Stalin is set to make his electoral debut in the 2021 Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly election. The DMK has fielded him from the Chepauk-Thiruvallikeni constituency.
- Range Rover Sport (Vehicle number – TN 07 CS 0001)
- Toyota Land Cruiser LC 200 VX (Vehicle number – TN 01 BH 2345)
- Mercedes-Benz C-Class C 200 CGI (Vehicle number – TN 07 BM 0001) registered in his company’s name, Red Giant Movies
- Hummer H3
As of 2021, Udhayanidhi’s net worth stands at approximately Rs. 27 crore. Out of which, movable assets listed to his name are worth Rs. 21,13,09,650 and immovable assets are worth Rs. 6,54,39,552. The News Minute
- Udhayanidhi Stalin was born and raised in a family that has been associated with filmmaking and politics for a very long time. His grandfather, M Karunanidhi, was a writer-turned-politician. Udhayanidhi’s father, MK Stalin, had a brief stint in acting during the late 80s and acted in two Tamil movies and two TV dramas. Moreover, there are many other relatives of Udhayanidhi who are actively working in the Tamil Film industry.
- Udhayanidhi has three tattoos inked on his body: the names of his son and daughter, and an abbreviated logo of his acting debut film ‘Oru Kal Oru Kannadi.’ The Times of India
- As of 2021, Udhayanidhi has 22 criminal cases registered against him in different districts of Tamil Nadu. The News Minute