Trisha Krishnan is an Indian model and actress who works in South Indian Film Industry and Bollywood.
Trisha Krishnan (also known as Trisha) was born on Wednesday, 4 May 1983 (age 37 years; as in 2020) in Chennai. Her zodiac sign is Taurus.
She did her schooling from Sacred Heart Matriculation Hr Sec School in Chennai.
She did Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) from Ethiraj College for Women in Chennai.
Trisha aspired to become a Criminal Psychologist.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Trisha Krishnan belongs to a Tamil Palakkad Iyer Family. Her father, Krishnan (died in October 2012) was a General Manager at a five-star hotel in Hyderabad.
Her mother’s name is Uma Krishnan.
She got engaged to a Chennai-based-businessman and film producer, Varun Manian on 23 January 2015.
In May 2015, Trisha announced that she had ended her engagement with Varun. There were many speculations about their broken engagement; two of them being, disagreement of Varun’s family about marrying an actress, and Varun wanting Trisha to quit acting. Reportedly, one of the other reasons was the presence of Dhanush during their engagement. Varun and Dhanush were not in good terms with each other and when Dhanush attended their engagement, Varun lost his cool, and they both had a quarrel. She has been linked with many actors including Vijay, Dhanush, and Prabhas.
She was in a relationship with the actor Rana Daggubati.
Talking about Rana, Trisha once said-
I’ve known him since I was 18. We were neighbours…we go through phases when we’re great friends and then we don’t talk at all. I guess with Rana it’s a love-hate relationship. He’s a very gracious person.”
On the show, Koffee With Karan Season 6, Rana Daggubati said,
She’s (Trisha) been a friend of mine from a decade. We have been friends for very long and dated for a little time. But I guess, things didn’t work out.”
As a Model
In 1998, Trisha Krishnan started her career as a model, when she was pursuing her graduation. She appeared in many television and print advertisements. In 1999, she won Miss Salem beauty pageant and went on to win the Miss Madras contest, the same year.
She won the title of ‘ Miss Beautiful Smile’ at Miss India 2001.
As an Actor
She made her acting debut with the 1999 Tamil film “Jodi” in which, she played the role of ‘Gayathri’s friend’ and was directed by Praveen Gandhi.
Following this, she appeared in the music video of Falguni Pathak‘s song ‘Meri Chunar Udd Udd Jaye’ alongside Ayesha Takia.
She was approached for the lead role of ‘Balamani’ from the film “Lesa Lesa” (2003) but the film did not release on the scheduled time, which made “Mounam Pesiyadhe” (2002), Trisha’s first release in a lead role.
She acted in many commercially successful Tamil films such as ‘Saamy’ (2003), ‘Ghilli’ (2004), ‘Kireedam’ (2007), ‘Bheemaa’ (2008), ‘Sarvam’ (2009), ‘Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa’ (2010), ‘Mankatha’ (2011), ‘Endrendrum Punnagai’ (2013), ‘Aranmanai 2’ (2016), ‘Kodi’ (2016), ’96’ (2018), and ‘Petta’ (2019). She made her Telugu Debut with Jyothi Krishna’s 2003 film “Nee Manasu Naaku Telusu,” in the role of ‘Preethi.’
She has acted in many commercially hit Telugu movies like ‘Varsham’ (2004), ‘Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana’ (2005), ‘Pournami’ (2006), ‘Aadavari Matalaku Arthale Verule’ (2007), ‘Krishna’ (2008), ‘Bodyguard’ (2012), ‘Lion’ (2015), and ‘Nayaki’ (2016). She made her Bollywood debut with the Priyadarshan’s film “Khatta Meetha” as ‘Gehna Ganphule’ in 2010. Although the film was a commercial and critical failure, she earned a nomination for a Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.
She made her Kannada debut with the 2014 film “Power,” in the role of ‘Prashanti.’ The film was directed by K. Madesh.
She made her Malayalam debut with the film “Hey Jude” (2018) in the role of ‘Crystal Ann Chakraparambu.’ The film was directed by Jeethu Joseph.
- In 2017, a series of tweets from the anchor and singer, Suchitra Karthik’s handle, through which private pictures of the South Indian actors were leaked, shook the South Indian Film Industry. While Suchitra claimed that her account was hacked, the whole scenario became a nightmare to actors. Trisha was one of the major targets of the controversy. Some of the photos which showed her getting intimate with Rana Daggubati and Dhanush were posted online. India Today
- Trisha has campaigned for the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) before, and extended her support to them, through her Twitter account, when they let out their fight against the festival of Jallikattu (a traditional festival in which bull-tamers men chase and try to remove prizes fixed on bull’s horn) in 2017. However, her support for PETA turned against her when Trisha was targeted on social media and was subjected to death and rape threats. Her family asked for police protection, which was denied. In the end, she had to delete her tweet. She posted another tweet in which she denied her support on the ban of the festival and later, deactivated her Twitter account. BBC
- In 2017, Trisha found herself in the middle of controversy when she was spotted in a neural white tee, sitting on Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) camp during the final IPL match between Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in Chennai. Her social media account was flooded with hate comments for supporting KKR. However, she kept her cool and replied- News 18
I will always support only CSK but have some KKR friends. Let us have a large heart ‘n’ be happy for others.”
Awards & Achievements
- Kalaimamani Award for Contribution to the Tamil Cinema in 2010
- Tamil Nadu State Film Awards for Special Jury Award for Best Actress for the film “Abhiyum Naanum” in 2009
- Nandi Award for Best Actress for the film “Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana” in 2005
Filmfare Awards South
- Best Actress for the film “Varsham” in 2004
- Best Actress for the film “Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana” in 2005
- Best Actress for the film “Aadavari Matalaku Ardhalu Verule” in 2007
- Best Actress (critics) for the film “Kodi” in 2016
- Best Actress for the film “96” in 2018
South Indian International Movie Awards
- Youth Icon of South Indian Cinema in 2012
- 10 years of excellence in Tamil cinema 2013
- Best Actress for the film “Endrendrum Punnagai” in 2014
- Most Popular Actress in South India on Social Media in 2014
- Best Actor in Negative Role “Kodi” in 2017
- Best Actress – Tamil “96” in 2019
- Critics’ Choice for Best Actress – Malayalam “Hey Jude” in 2019
- Food: Gujarati Cuisines, Kadhi
- Actress: Jayalalithaa
- Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar
- TV Shows: Sherlock Series, Game of Thrones Series
- Fashion Brands: Rolex, Dior
- Travel Destinations: New York, Istanbul, Puerto Rico
- Book: “Behind Closed Doors” by B. A. Paris
- She likes reading books, swimming, and travelling.
- Trisha’s family members and close friends call her ‘Honey’ with love.
- She is a cricket fanatic and likes Sachin Tendulkar. In 2017, an insurance company gifted a bat to Trisha, which was signed by Sachin.
- Trisha’s mother had been offered many roles by several Tamil filmmakers and actors including Kamal Hassan. However, she turned down all their offers, as she wanted to focus on building her daughter’s career.
- Trisha credits all her achievements to her mother. In an interview, she talked about how her mother was instrumental in shaping her career. Talking about her, she said-
My mother has been my support system and was pretty instrumental in shaping up my personality and career. I draw strength from her, and today what I am, is all because of her. I owe everything to her. She’s been supporting me in all my endeavors and has been a huge source of inspiration. She doesn’t interfere much in my scheme of things yet supports me unconditionally. Whatever I do, she’ll always be there for me. Whenever I want to lean on her, she’s always there. Her hand will always be there to hold me. We don’t just share a mother-daughter bond, there’s more to it. We share a comfort zone like friends and that makes our bonding even stronger.”
- Trisha has been the brand ambassador of many brands like Fanta India, Scooty Pep+, and Vivel Di Wills. She has also featured in many TV commercials for the brands such as Britannia, Cold Coffee, Kurl-on Mattresses, Junior Horlicks, and Lalitha Jewelers.
- In 2017, Trisha Krishnan became the first actor from South India to be bestowed with the title of the UNICEF Celebrity Advocate. In the event, where she was honoured, Trisha said-
I commit myself to creating more awareness on health, education, nutrition and protection of children, especially the adolescents and young people in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. I would support the efforts of the government to make Tamil Nadu malnutrition-free and open defecation-free”
- Trisha is an avid animal lover and is the goodwill ambassador for People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). She has also campaigned for PETA many times. In 2011, she was featured in the ‘Be an Angel’ campaign of PETA.
- She loves dogs and owns more than three dogs; two of her dogs’ names are- Cadbury and Zoya. While she was shooting a driving sequence for one of her films, she spotted ‘Cadbury,’ who was injured and lying in the rain. She hospitalized him, and since then, Cadbury has been with him.
- She has inked three permanent tattoos on her body; the first one being, the Disney character ‘Nemo’ on her left chest. Out of her other two tattoos, the first one is her sun sign ‘Tauras’ on the back of her right hand’s palm and the other is on her left shoulder, which is a camera on tripod resembling a clapboard.
- She inked temporary tattoos of ‘Jayam Ravi’ on her arms, thighs, and tummy, for her film “Bhooloham” (2015).
References [ + ]