Sumit (Sumeet) Kumar Ganguly is an Indian singer and the youngest son of legendary playback singer and actor Kishore Kumar. He has sung a few Hindi songs. Most of the time he performs on stage with his brother Amit Kumar who is a notable singer as well. He founded Kishore Brothers Music in 2020.
Sumit Kumar Ganguly was born on Thursday, 15 April 1982 (age 41 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. His zodiac sign is Aries. He completed his schooling in Mumbai. Sunidhi Chauhan was his schoolmate and best friend. He pursued graduation in commerce at The Mithibai College of Arts, Mumbai. During his college days, he also learnt Western classical music and Western dancing.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Sumit Kumar belongs to a Bengali Brahmin Ganguly family, originally from Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh.
Parents & Siblings
Sumit was born to Kishore Kumar and Leena Chandavarkar. His father was an iconic playback singer and actor and his mother is a former Bollywood actress. He was only 5 years old when his father died in 1987. Remembering his father, he said in an interview,
I lost my father at the age of five. Whatever I remember of him is as a fun-loving father pampering me to the hilt with toys and videos. I was a fat child and he used to call me ‘Chiballa Bachcha’ “
He has a stepbrother, Amit Kumar, who is also a notable playback singer. Sumit, during an interview, spoke about his brother,
He is thirty years elder to me and he is more like a father-figure. I consider him as my idol. Not only his singing but also all his mannerisms constantly remind me of my father- so much so he sounds and behaves like him. I can confide everything in him. He is a Cancerian and very emotional. Even if he is not happy about something I have done; he would tell me in a roundabout way. He is the Go- Get man for me. Mom might deny me something but Bhaiya always indulges me.”
Sumit Kumar follows Hinduism.
Kishore Kumar Bungalow, Gauri Kunj, Juhu, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
In 2002, at the age of 20, he was performing his father’s songs on stage when he was spotted by producer Raju Mawani who called him to sing songs for his film ‘Mudda – The Issue,’ and Sumit made his debut as a playback singer with this film; he sang two songs, ‘Dewangee,’ and ‘Kaise Mai Kahoon,’ for the film. After this, in 2004, he got another offer from director Ram Gopal Verma to sing a song for the film ‘Naach’ (2004) starring Abhishek Bachchan; he sang the song ‘Bandhane Lagi’ with Shweta Pandit.
In 2011, he did a tribute concert, ‘Do Kishore’, with his brother Amit Kumar at various places. This concert consisted of an audio-video show about their father, his music, and the songs of both brothers. In 2020, Sumit launched a new project, Kumar Brothers Music. It was launched to create an online music store of their songs, their father’s unreleased songs and much more. Kumar Brothers Music – Instagram
- In 2022, Sumit Kumar leased out his father’s Juhu bungalow, Gouri Kunj, to Virat Kohli for 5 years. Virat Kohli opened a restaurant, ONE8 COMMUNE there.
- Through Kumar Brothers Music, he promotes Bhadra Sangeet, a neglected form of Indian classical music.
- Sumit sang the song “Hum Hain Do Kishore” with his brother, Amit Kumar, at the age of 9.
- He is an introvert person by nature. He was raised under the protective gaze of his mother and elder brother. In an interview, he spoke about it and said, Times Of India
I’d led the life of a girl, for my mom wouldn’t allow me to go anywhere.”
- He is the nephew of legendary Bollywood artists Ashok Kumar and Anoop Kumar.
- He appeared on Kapil Sharma Show on 21 April 2019 with his brother Amit Kumar and mother Leena Chandavarkar.
- He debuted as a playback singer at the age of 20.
- Kumar Brothers Music launched its first album ‘Haan, Main Badnaam Hoon’ in 2015. It was recorded at Gauri Kunj Bungalow. The album consists of eight tracks sung by Amit and written by Leena Chandavarkar.
- Sumit consumes Alchohol.
- In his childhood, Sumit used to accompany his father, Kishore Kumar, and brother, Amit Kumar where he learnt to play casio.