Milind Chitragupth is an Indian music composer known for being a part of the duo film music composers Anand–Milind. He is also known for being the son of music composer Chirtagupth.
Milind Chitragupth also known by the name Milind Chitragupth was born on Sunday, 31 May 1959 (age 64 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Gemini. When he was a child, he enjoyed reading film magazines, but his father encouraged him to read science magazines instead. Both Milind and his brother Anand were excellent students and were toppers in school. During his summer vacations, he used to take piano lessons from a lady named Susan Pinto in Bandra. He entered the industry at the age of 23 when his father fell ill and was bedridden for 18 months. Once his father recovered, he resumed his work, and Milind began assisting him. During this period, Kishore Kumar generously provided his father with numerous songs, and Anand started composing songs together with him. In order to support his father, Milind took on documentary projects with Marathi directors and also played the guitar in programs alongside Anoop Jalota.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Chitragupth, who was a famous composer.
His mother’s name is Krishna.
He has an elder brother Anand Chitragupth, who is also a music composer and is a part of the duo film music composer Anand-Milind.
Wife & Children
He is married but there is not much information available about his wife and children.
In 1984, he made his debut with songs in the film Ab Ayega Mazaa.
In 1986, he composed songs for the film Peechha Karro, Maa Beti, and Tan-Badan. In 1988, he composed songs for the films Woh Phir Aayegi, Zanjeer, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, Shiva Shakti, and Aurat Teri Yehi Kahani. In 1989, he composed the songs for the film Anjaane Rishte. In 1990, he composed songs for the films Kafan, Nyay Anyay, Jawani Zindabad, and Zakhmi Zameen.
In 1991, he worked as a music composer for the films Love, Dancer, Ayee Milan Ki Raat, Saugandh, and Haque. He gave some popular hits in 1992 including Jaan Se Pyaara, Adharm, Suryavanshi, Jaan Se Pyaara, and Aaj Ka Goonda Raaj. In 1993, he composed songs for the films Hasti, Pehchaan, Pardesi, Phool, and Platform. He composed music for the Bangladeshi film Keyamot Theke Keyamot (1993). In 1994, he was a music composer for films including Raja Babu, Madhosh, Laadla, Maha Shaktishaali, and Suhaag. In 1995, he composed music for the films God and Gun, Taaqat, Angrakshak, Hum Dono, and Kismat. He was a music composer in 1996 for the films Vijeta, Bandish, Army, Loafer, and Rakshak.
In 1997, he gave some popular songs including Yeshwant, Sanam, Banarasi Babu, Insaaf: The Final Justice, and Suraj. In 1998, he composed music for the films Jhooth Bole Kauwa Kaate, Sar Utha Ke Jiyo, Pardesi Babu, Barood and Yamraaj. In 1999, he composed songs for films including Kaala Samrajya, Hogi Pyaar Ki Jeet, Rajaji, Gair, Dillagi and Jaanwar. In 2001, he was a music composer for the films Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar and Chhupa Rustam: A Musical Thriller. In 2002, he composed songs for the films Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani and Akhiyon Se Goli Maare.
In 2003, he was a composer for the song Miss India: The Mystery and Gupta vs Gordon. In 2004, he composed songs for the film Police Force: An Inside Story. In 2005, he became a music composer for the films Mastaani, Khullam Khulla Pyaar Karen and Naam Gum Jaayega. In 2006, he was a music composer for the film Jaana… Let’s Fall in Love and Dhadkanein.
In 2012, he composed songs for the film Yeh Khula Aasmaan. In 2016, he was a composer for the film Tie the Knot. As an Anand-Milind duo, they produced songs for the films Maha-Sangram (1990), Honeymoon (1992), Pehla Pehla Pyar (1994), Daanveer (1996), Aunty No. 1 (1998), and Shikaar (2000).
In 1996, he made his debut by directing songs for the film Muqaddar.
As an individual, he has worked as a music director for the film Zanjeer (1998).
In 2000, he worked as a music director for the film Chal Mere Bhai.
He worked as a playback singer in the film Woh Phir Aayegi (1988) and Ek Rishtaa: The Bond of Love (2001).
- 1989: Filmfare Award for Best Music for the song Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and shared it with Milind Chitragupth
- 2022: Lata Mangeshkar Award
- According to his brother Anand, there are instances where he and Milind had disagreements while composing music. However, they resolved these conflicts by discussing the tune at home and playing it for the producer the following day.
- In his debut film “Ab Ayega Mazaa” released in 1984, he had the opportunity to sing a song alongside the renowned singer Lata Mangeshkar.
- In 2007, after a gap of six years, lyricists Sameer, Anand, and Milind collaborated once again to compose music together. It was reported that they had experienced conflicts in the past, which led them to stop working with each other. By 2001, they had already composed over 950 songs collectively. However, in 2007, they decided to reunite for a Bhojpuri film titled “Sajan Sangh Laagi Laganiya Re.” Their differences were resolved during a book release function by Sameer, where he acknowledged their partnership. In an interview, Milind mentioned that he reached out to Sameer and suggested that they should work together again, aiming to add another 50 songs to the already impressive count of 950. He denied any major fights with Sameer and clarified that their inability to work together was primarily due to being occupied with individual projects.
- In an interview, he mentioned that after the year 2000, there was a trend of using multiple composers in a single film, and they chose not to be a part of it. Out of the 250 films they worked on, they composed music for 150 films independently and even handled the background music for them. He further explained that their reduced output of songs after 2000 was due to the fact that filmmakers they had collaborated with, such as Harmesh Malhotra and Vimal Kumar, stopped making films.
- In an interview, Anand mentioned that they have produced approximately 1600 songs, and only seven or eight were accused of plagiarism. He explained that in those cases, they were compelled by the producer and director to mimic a specific tune that they were fond of.
- The duo of the brothers was nominated for several prestigious awards. They received a nomination for the Filmfare Award in 1991 for the film “Dil” and another nomination in the same year for the film “Baaghi: A Rebel for Love” in the category of Best Music. Additionally, they were nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Music Direction in 1993 for their work on the film “Beta.”
- In 2023, the Anand-Milind duo made an appearance on The Kapil Sharma Show, where they were joined by other renowned singers, including Udit Narayan and Sameer Anjan.
- In June 2023, the music video for the song “Sapne Jo Dekhe,” featuring lyrics by Sameer, composition by Anand-Milind, and vocals by Alka Yagnik and Makarand Patankar, achieved over 1 million views. To celebrate this milestone, they organized a grand success party at the Country Club in Mumbai’s Andheri area.
- In an interview, Alka Yagnik talked about the time she met Anand and Milind and said,
In those days, Anand-Milind used to be his (Chitragupt ji) assistants. They anyway don’t talk much and during those days, they hardly spoke. They would silently walk around and work and I used to wonder who they are. It is then that I realized that they are Chitragupt ji’s sons and work as his assistants.”
- In an interview, he mentioned that he had relatives in influential positions. One of his cousins holds a prominent position in the RAW (Research and Analysis Wing), while another cousin was associated with the income tax department. Furthermore, his father’s elder brother gained recognition as a renowned journalist at the Indian Nation in Patna.