Shilpa Shinde is one of the most prolific Indian TV actresses. She became a household name after her portrayal of the role of Angoori Bhabhi in Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hai. She entered the Bigg Boss 11 (2017) house as a celebrity contestant and went on to win the show. Let us check out her age, personal life, career, and other facts.
Shilpa Shinde is 49-years-old (born on 28 August 1977) actress who hails from Mumbai. Though she wanted to become a film actress, she ended up being a TV actress. She became a household name after playing the role of Angoori Bhabhi in Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hai. Her fame got extended with her stint in the Bigg Boss 11 (2017) house.
She is 5′ 4″ tall and has been trolled on social media for being overweight, which is around 65 kg.
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
She hails from a middle-class Scheduled Caste Hindu-Marathi family of Mumbai. Her father was a Judge in High Court, who died in 2013. Her mother is a homemaker.
In 2007, she did a TV serial Maayka, during the course of which, she fell in love with her co-star Romit Raj. In fact, they were supposed to tie the knot in Goa, but it was called off at the last moment, only because of Shilpa’s issues with Romit’s family.
Shilpa always wanted to be an actress, but her family was against it. She is a Graduate in Psychology. Despite that, she started her career with Marathi and Telugu films but didn’t succeed. She, then, decided to work in TV serials, and in 2002, she played her first role of a negative character in the serial Bhabhi.
In 2015, she played the role of Angoori Bhabhi in &TV’s comedy serial Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hai, after which she became popular.
Her catchphrases, such as – “Sahi Pakde Hain,” “Ladoo Ke Bhaiya,” “Haye Daiya, ” and her poor English speaking skills, made her the most lovable character of the show.
On 5 February 2019, she entered politics by joining Rahul Gandhi‘s Indian National Congress (INC) in Mumbai.
— Mumbai Congress (@INCMumbai) February 5, 2019
Sexual Harassment Case
Her fairy tale journey in Bhabhi Ji Ghar Par Hai ended in March 2016, when she left the show and filed a case of sexual harassment against its producer Sanjay Kohli. She also filed a defamation case against the producer, CINTAA and Indian Films and TV producers’ council (IFTPC). She took the support of MNS chief, Raj Thackeray. Such was her impact on the show that after her exit there was a dip in the viewership of the show.
War of words with Gulki Joshi
Following her abrupt exit from the television show Maddam Sir, Shilpa had a war of words with actress Gulki Joshi. She bashed the leading ladies of the show through a video on Instagram and said that the cast and crew of the show were not involved in the shooting with zeal to which Gulki responded and said that they had no idea why Shilpa was bashing at them. Later, Shilpa mocked Gulki and said,
Who is Gulki Joshi, what she has done in her career? She has become popular because of me.”
While responding to Shilpa’s comment, Gulki said,
I don’t think so it was a personal attack. It was done so that she can stay in limelight. These comments can’t affect us. Woh kuch bhi bol le, but the amount of love that I have got from this controversy is beyond life. Meri following badha di usne.” Koimoi
- Shilpa is a shopaholic and loves to buy embroidery saris by Ritu Kumar. She also likes wearing jeans and tops but doesn’t like extravagant clothes.
- The most expensive outfit she ever bought was a sari that was worth ₹25,000.
- She is a huge fan of Marathi actor Sachin Khedekar and Bollywood superstar Salman Khan. Her all-time favourite actress is Kajol.
- She is a follower of Indian women cricket team and loves watching Mithali Raj, Harmanpreet Kaur, and Smriti Mandhana in action.
- She is a spiritual person and is a devotee Lord Ganesha & Shirdi’s Sai Baba. She always has a picture of Shirdi’s Sai Baba in her purse.
- She owns a luxurious house on Malad Link Road, Mumbai.
- In October 2022, after being evicted from Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 10, she criticized Karan Johar, Madhuri Dixit, and Nora Fatehi. According to Shinde, contestants were harshly judged by the judges, and she asked the judges to be kinder. NDTV While sharing a video on Instagram, she said,
It’s my humble request to all the judges of #JhalakDikhhlaJaa and requested them to go easy on the contestants and to take it as an entertainment show.”