Balraj Syal is a popular Indian comedian. In 2020, he appeared in the Colors TV show, ‘Mujhse Shaadi Karoge.’
Balraj Syal was born on Wednesday, 26 January 1983 (age 37 years; as in 2020), in Jalandhar, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. He did his schooling from Shree Parvati Jain Co-Education Senior Secondary School, Jalandhar. Later, he pursued his graduation in arts from Jalandhar. YouTube
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Eye Colour: Hazel Brown
Hair Colour: Black
His parents died when he was too young. He was brought up by his paternal uncle and aunt. He has two sisters.
While he was in college, he joined a theatre group. Once his acting guru, Amit Sharma, told him about the auditions of the comedy show, ‘Hasde Hasande Ravo’ (2009), aired on MH 1. He auditioned for it and got selected and made it to the top finalists. This marked the beginning of his career as a comedian.
He has appeared in many TV shows, including ‘Ikk Tara Bole,’ ‘Music Online,’ ‘Desi Talk,’ and ‘Lots of Ladies.’ Later, he participated in one of the seasons of ‘The Great Indian Laughter Challenge’ but got rejected in the first episode. In 2009, he participated in ‘Laughter Ke Phatke,’ aired on Star One channel. He won the “Best Stand-up Comedian Trophy” in this show.
He debuted as an actor in the Punjabi film, ‘Dharti’ in 2011.
He has acted in many Punjabi films, including ‘Kabaddi Once Again’ (2012) and ‘Tu Mera 22 Main Tera 22’ (2013).
In 2014, he won the comedy show, ‘Comedy Ka Maha Muqabla.’
In 2015, he penned down the script of the Punjabi film, ‘Sardarji.’ He has worked as a scriptwriter in many Punjabi films, including Ambarsariya (2016), Sardarji 2 (2016), Jindua (2017), and Anakh (2017). He has worked as a host in many TV shows. In 2018, he appeared in ‘Entertainment Ki Raat’ an Indian reality TV show on Colors TV.
He has appeared in ‘The Great Punjabi Comedy Show’ and ‘Hasde Hasande Ravo 2.’
In 2020, he participated in the Colors TV show, ‘Mujhse Shaadi Karoge.’
In the same year, he participated in the Indian he participated in an Indian stunt reality TV show, ‘Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 10,’ hosted by Rohit Shetty.
Car & Bike Collection
Toyota Corolla Altis
- Cricketer: Virat Kohli
- When he was in school, he wanted to become an IAS or IPS officer. But after his schooling, he left the studies midway; as his family’s financial condition was not good.
- After leaving his studies, he started selling clothes to support his family financially. Later, he joined a college in Jalandhar and completed his graduation.
- While he was in college, he came to know that students who participate in extracurricular activities, get a concession in fees. So, he joined a theatre group in his college.
- Even after winning a few comedy shows, he had to struggle a lot to get recognition in the entertainment industry. Reportedly, he even sold the car that he had bought from the prize money to meet the expenses.
- He appeared as a guest in Bigg Boss Season 11 (2017).
- He won ‘Big Punjabi Rising Star Award’ in 2011 for the ‘Best Comedian Male.’
- He was awarded “30 Under 30” Award by Hindustan Times in 2013.
- He has worked as a creative writer in ‘Comedy Nights With Kapil’ (2013).
- In 2018, he won 7th Times of India Film Awards (TIIFA).
- He has participated in various seasons of ‘Box Cricket League.’
- In an interview, he talked about why he participated in ‘Mujhse Shaadi Karoge’ (2020), he said,
My relatives are behind my life to get married and settle down. And I have been running from it since a long time. There are 2 reasons for it- firstly that I don’t have anyone in my life, and secondly weddings are an expensive affair. Here the channel is taking care of everything. Agar Shehnaaz ko main pasand aagaya to meri shaadi ye yahin kara denge aur mere paise bhi bach jaayenge.”
- He is a good friends with the actor, Suyyash Rai.
- He considers the Indian comedian, Rajiv Thakur his mentor.
- His hobbies include travelling and listening to music.
- He has got a tattoo inked on his arm, which depicts his love for travelling.
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol in parties.
References [ + ]