Roman Saini is an educator, an entrepreneur, an Ex- IAS officer, a doctor and a motivational speaker. He is the co-founder of “Unacademy,” an education initiative which provides online (free and paid) educational content for competitive exams.
Roman Saini was born on 27 July 1991 (age 27 years; as in 2018) in Raikaranpura Village, Kotputli Town, Jaipur, Rajasthan. He was born into a middle-class, academically sound family, which helped him to excel at his studies. After completing his schooling, he appeared for the AIIMS entrance examination and became the youngest person to crack the examination at the age of 16. Roman went to AIIMS to pursue his MBBS.
Height: 5’ 9”
Weight: 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Roman belongs to the Mali community (OBC) of a Hindu Family. His father is an engineer and mother is a homemaker. Roman’s brother, Avesh Saini, is a paediatrician and his sister, Ayushee Saini, is a medical student.
Roman started his career as a Junior resident doctor at AIIMS. While serving as a resident doctor, Roman visited medical camps at various poverty-ridden areas of India, where he saw people struggling even for the basic amenities. It was then, that he decided to go for the civil services in order to contribute to the society at a larger scale.
When he was in his second year of the MBBS programme, one of his friend, Gaurav Munjal, approached him with an idea to start up an educational portal. Roman joined hands with Gaurav Munjal, Hemesh Singh, and Sachin Gupta to start- “Unacademy,” an educational venture that went on to become a popular educational portal amongst the students preparing for competitive exams, especially for UPSC aspirants.
At the age of 22, Roman cleared the Civil Service Examination in his first attempt and secured the AIR 18. He was one of the youngest aspirants in India to clear the examination. After completing his training at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) in Mussoorie, he joined as the Assistant Collector at Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh. In 2016, Saini resigned from his post of the Assistant Collector to devote more time to his initiative, “Unacademy.”
Roman along with his team (comprising of civil servants, teachers, engineers, doctors, and experts of other fields), started to build their Unacademy’s YouTube channel, by uploading study materials relating to medicine, IT, civil services, and foreign languages. Soon, after its launch, the videos started getting millions of views. Not just this, it was stated that more than 10 subscribers of the channel cleared the civil services examinations by following the tips given on the channel.
Roman has a net worth of $17.6 million (Unacademy’s).
Cricketers: Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers
Chess Player: Magnus Carlsen
Music Band: Pink Floyd
Singer: Babul Supriyo, Atif Aslam, Arijit Singh
Musician: David Gilmour, Led Zeppelin, Ani DiFranco
- His hobbies include playing the guitar, puzzle solving, travelling, and listening to music.
- Surprisingly, Roman did not attend any coaching institute to prepare for the UPSC exam. He only consulted the Vajiram material and test series. He chose Medical Sciences as his optional subject.
- Roman is an anti-social person. He hates attending social functions.
- His circle of friends and relatives consider him weird as he lives in his own world.
- Initially, Roman was an average student who had no interest in studies. His interest in the subject matter of biology led him to sit for the medical entrance exam and clear it.
- When asked in an interview about his multiple career swings, Roman said, ” I believe we can achieve anything if we really want it. For me, there were no external benchmarks to conquer. I have done everything that I really enjoyed doing. I play the guitar as I love music, not because I aspire to go to Trinity College in England. Medicals, civil services, to now giving back to millions of UPSC aspirants (online content)- all these have stemmed from the internal drive.”