Mukunda Goswami is a spiritual leader of American origin belonging to the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (popularly known as ISKCON or the Hare Krishnas). He was one of the very first disciples of ISKCON’s founder A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.
Mukunda Goswami was born as Michael Grant Mukunda Goswami – Facebook on Friday, 10 April 1942 (age 80 years; as of 2022) in Portland, Oregon, US. His zodiac sign is Aries. He pursued his graduation at Reed College, Portland. He wanted to become a musician for which he moved to New York after his graduation.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Bald
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father was a tap dancer. His brother’s name is Tom Grant, who is a jazz musician.
Mukunda was married to Janaki, but they got divorced in the 1980s. After his divorce, in 1982, he took Sannyasa from Jayapataka Swami.
Mukunda used to work as a professional jazz musician before becoming a spiritual leader. In 1966, he was a prominent part of the Hare Krishna movement.
Later in 1966, he helped Bhaktivedanta Swami to set up the first Hare Krishna temple in New York with the help of his ex-wife and some of their college friends. In 1967, he established the first Hare Krishna temple in San Francisco. He also organized a music event, Mantra-Rock Dance, during the opening of the temple.
In 1968, he went to London along with his wife to begin ISKCON in England. In 1971, he was one of the composers of the devotional music album ‘The Radha Krsna Temple’ released on Apple Records. The album was produced by Beatle George Harrison. The song ‘Hare Krishna Mantra’ from the album gained a lot of popularity and charted at number 13 on the UK Singles Chart.
In 1977, he started the ISKCON Communications Office in Los Angeles. He has written some publications and books including Chant and be Happy … The Story of the Hare Krishna Mantra (1982), Coming Back: The Science of Reincarnation (1982), The Higher Taste: A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet (1983), Divine Nature: A Spiritual Perspective on the Environmental Crisis (1995), Inside the Hare Krishna Movement: An Ancient Eastern Religious Tradition Comes of Age in the Western World (2001), and Miracle on Second Avenue: Hare Krishna Arrives in the West (1966).
- In 1965, he decided to switch his profession after he met Hare Krishna founder A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. He joined the first group of initiated disciples in 1966. After joining the group, he was given the Sanskrit name Mukunda Dasa.
- He served as the ISKCON Minister of Communication at the Governing Body Commission from 1984 to 1999.
- He has lived in different countries including San Diego, New Zealand and Australia.
- On 23 October 2015, he was admitted to the hospital for hip surgery after he slipped in his bathroom. While he was in the hospital, he suffered a heart attack. His devotees organised kirtans at various places and prayed for his recovery.
- As of 2022, Mukunda is serving as an ICJ Advisory Board Member.