Janki Kripalani or ‘Dadi Janki’ is a well-known Indian spiritual guide. She is currently the administrative head of ‘Prajapita Brahma Kumaris Godly Spiritual University.’
She was born on Saturday, 1 January 1916 (age 104 years; as in 2020), in the northern Indian province of Sindh, now in Pakistan. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. She has studied up to class 4th. Amar Ujala
Height (approx.): 5′ 2″
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Early Life of Dadi Janki
Dadi Janki has been spiritually inclined since her childhood. She used to listen to Ramcharitmanas recited by her father and uncle. She learnt about Sukhmani Sahib from one of her neighbours. Dadi Janki, along with her father, used to travel in a horse and carriage to tell people the benefits of a vegetarian diet.
Old Picture of Dadi Janki
During her teen years, she got to know about Brahma Baba (founder of the Brahma Kumaris organisation) who had formed a group of spiritual devotees named ‘Om Mandli.’ Dadi Janki was very impressed and motivated by this group and wanted to join them, but her family resisted it.
Later, she had an arranged marriage, but her mind and heart were not into this marriage. She wanted to join the ‘Om Mandli’ and work for the welfare of people. In 1937, at the age of 21, she took a bold decision and run away from her home to join ‘Om Mandli’ (now Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University). The organisation was then led by Dada Lekhraj or “Brahma Baba” (fondly called by his followers). From 1937 to 1951, the number of devotees increased from 120 to 400, mostly comprised of women. In 1950, the Brahma Kumaris organisation shifted from Karachi, Pakistan to Mount Abu, India.
Dadi Janki travelled in different cities of India to impart spiritual education. Brahma Kumari, Mateshwari (fondly called as Mamma) was the mentor of Dadi Janki during her services. In 1965, Mamma left her body, and later in 1969, Brahma Baba passed away. The whole responsibility of running the organisation was on Dadis (elderly Brahma Kumaris) including Dadi Janki.
In 1974, Dadi Janki visited London for the first time to start spiritual services in the west. Earlier, she was a little hesitant; as she did not know the English language. Keeping faith in God, she left to London, and later, the first Brahma Kumaris’ centre in Europe was opened in London. Now, the Brahma Kumaris Spiritual Organisation has more than 8,500 established centres in over 130 countries.
Head of BKWSU
In August 2007, after the death of Dadi Prakashmani Ji, (the then Chief Administrator of Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University BKWSU) Dadi Janki became the Chief Administrator of the organisation.
- In 1978, scientists at the Medical and Science Research Institute at the University of Texas, USA declared her as the ‘most stable mind in the world’ based on the brain wave pattern of Dadi Janki. Speaking Tree
Their reports stated,
Her mental state remained completely undisturbed even while performing complicated mental exercises. The EEG (Electroencephalogram) of Dadi Janki continuously showed Delta waves, while she was cooking, while eating, while giving a lecture, while doing arithmetical calculations, while taking, while sleeping, all the time!”
- In 1997, a charitable trust was opened on her name in London as Janki Foundation for Global Health Care.
- In 2004, she was awarded Grand Cordon of the first order of Al Istiklal (the Medal of Independence) by HM King Abdullah ll of Jordan for her humanitarian services to the world.
- In 2015, she was appointed as the brand ambassador of the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’ by the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi.
- In 2017, she was awarded a Doctorate Degree by GITAM University, Visakhapatnam.
- Her hobbies include reading, cooking, and playing musical instruments.
- She daily wakes up at 3 a. m. for meditation. Her breakfast includes oatmeal, upma, and fruits followed by khichdi or vegetables in lunch and condensed soup of vegetables in dinner.
- In 2019, at the age of 103, she travelled almost 72000 km in India and across the world for her spiritual services.
- She conducts lectures and seminars at various national and international events.
- Dadi Janki has published several books including Companion of God, Wings of Soul, and Pearls of Wisdom.
- Many books have been published on the life of Dadi Janki.
- Just like other Brahma Kumaris, she wears white clothes, eats only vegetarian food, and performs complete celibacy.
- She has been a source of inspiration and motivation for many well-known celebrities in India.
References [ + ]