Swami Sarvapriyananda is an Indian spiritual leader. He is a minister of the Vedanta Society of New York.
Swami Sarvapriyananda was born as Biswarup Palit on Wednesday, 10 March 1971 (age 52 years; as of 2023) in Kolkata, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Pisces. He grew up in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. He pursued a master’s degree in Business Management at the Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB) in Bhubaneswar. After he abode his monastic vows in 1994, he changed his name to Swami Sarvapriyananda.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Bald
Eye Colour: Brown
He was born into a religious family in Kolkata.
Parents & Siblings
His parents religiously followed the Ramakrishna Order tradition.
He is unmarried.
He follows Hinduism.
Since childhood, he has been reading books and Vedantas by Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda. In 1994, he joined the Ramakrishna Order. In 2004, Swami Ranganathananda, a Hindu swami of the Ramakrishna Math order, ordained Sarvapriyananda and he abode his monastic vows as a monk. He served in Ramakrishna math for many years. In 2015, Swami Sarvapriyananda served as assistant minister of the Vedanta Society of Southern California. On 6 January 2017, he was appointed as the head of the Vedanta Society of New York. He was appointed as the first registrar of the Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda Educational and Research Institute in Howrah, West Bengal. He served as an acharya at Belur Math Monks training centre in Howrah, West Bengal. As the vice principal of Ramakrishna Mission Vidyapith, Deoghar, and principal of Ramakrishna Mission Shikshanamandira (teacher-training college), Belur Math, he also provided service to the Ramakrishna Order. Sarvapriyananda frequently speaks at conferences and events centred around the teachings of Advaita Vedanta simplifying deep meanings of religion and spirituality. He is a devoted supporter and authority on the Darshan school of Indian philosophy. He has given numerous lectures on the same subject.
- From 1994 to 2016, he resided in a monastery at Belur Math, India, and in 2017, he went to the United States, where he worked at the Vedanta Society of Southern California.
- He was a member of the first group of Hindu swamis to take part in the Harvard Divinity School’s Nagral Fellowship programme for the 2019-20 academic year.
- During many of his public teachings, he said that he wanted to become a pilot and the second was to find God, with the second goal later becoming his only goal.
- Swami Sarvapriyananda has been invited to lecture at numerous colleges all around the world and has participated in prominent speaking events like TEDx, SAND, and Google Talks.
- In addition to appearing at the World Parliament of Religions in Toronto and the UN Headquarters in New York, he has played a significant role in organising and taking part in many interfaith panels and seminars.
- His family, at first, objected to his decision to become a monk but later accepted his decision.
- He considers himself a ‘voracious’ reader. When he was a child, his mother would scold him for putting off doing his homework because he was too preoccupied with reading the Vedas. Not only that, but he frequently heard the advice to play outside instead of reading the Vedas because they are for older people.
- Sarvapriyananda is one of the most well-known Vedanta speakers in the world today, according to Fortune India. Speaking with Time on the occasion of the International Day of Yoga in 2018, Sarvapriyananda criticised the “vulgarisation and distortion of yoga” and stated that “performing (yoga) was the appropriate way that may change the way we live, work, and love.”
- In 2021, he wrote several books including What is Vedanta?, Who Am I?, and Dissolve into Infinity.