Babul Supriyo is an Indian playback singer, actor, and politician from Kolkata. He started his political career in 2004 with the BJP. He has served as a Member of Parliament and as a Union Minister.
Babul Supriyo was born on 15 December 1970 (age 48 years; as in 2018) in Uttarpara, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Saggitarius. Hi did his schooling from the Don Bosco High & Technical School, Liluah, West Bengal. He pursued his B.Com (Hons.) from the Serampore College, West Bengal in 1991. When he was in school, he participated in a singing competition and became the All India Don Bosco Champion in 1983. He won a singing competition which got him the title of The Most Enriching Talent in 1985.
After college, he had briefly worked at Standard Chartered Bank in Kolkata. He quit soon after deciding that he wanted to be a full-time singer. In 1992 he moved to Mumbai to achieve his dream. He was greatly influenced by his grandfather who was a prominent Bengali vocalist and composer. Supriyo was extensively trained by his grandfather, Banikantha NC Baral, during his childhood. While he was in college, he had won 45 music competitions and was a regular performer in the All India Radio and Doordarshan.
Height: 5′ 8″
Weight: 75 kg (approx.)
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Wife & Caste
Babul Supriyo is of the Odia Ethnicity. His real name is Supriya Baral and changed it to Babul Supriyo when he moved to Mumbai in 1992. He was born to Sunil Chandra Baral & Sumitra Baral.
Babul Supriyo met her first wife Riaa in Toronto; during a Shah Rukh Khan concert. The got married in 1995. They have a daughter together, Sharmilee (born- 1999). They got divorced in 2006.
Babul met his second wife, Rachna Sharma, in 2014. She is an air hostess and he met her on a flight. They started dating and got married after two years in 2016. they have a daughter together, Naina (born- 12 August 2017).
Babul Supriyo moved to Mumbai in 1992 to establish his career in Bollywood. He got his first break with Kalyanji, who selected him to go on world tours and perform in live shows along with Bollywood actors. In May 1993, he got to perform in Canada and the USA with Amitabh Bachchan. In 1994 and 1995, he performed with all the big Bollywood stars internationally. In 1997 and 1999, he got the opportunity to perform with Asha Bhonsle in the USA. He performed successfully in many centres around the world like Holland, USA, UK, South America, and many more. He used to be featured regularly in music festivals. In July 2002, he was presented with the Honorary Citizenship by the State Council of Atlanta, USA; he became one of the youngest performers to receive this honour.
He got his first Bollywood break as a playback singer in the film Kaho Na Pyaar Hai; which was also Hrithik Roshan’s debut film. After the film was released, Supriyo became an instant hit. Everyone loved his voice and he got several offers for playback singing. Some of his all-time hit songs were from films such as Hum Tum, Fanaa, Hungama, and many more. He also used to sing for many Bengali films and was very successful in Bengali cinema too. He eventually got a chance to become an actor in Bengali films and has starred in many Bengali movies. Supriyo is known for his oratory skills and his amazing sense of humour. He hosts the show K for Kishore, co-starring Asha Bhonsle and Amit Kumar. Supriyo mainly sings for Bollywood and Bengali films but he has recorded songs in 11 other languages too.
Awards & Honours
- Honorary citizenship by the State Council of Atlanta in 2002
- Award for the Best Male Playback Singer for Tak Jhal Mishti by the Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Awards in 2002
- Award for the Best Male Playback Singer for Kasauti Zindagii Kay by the Kalakar Awards in 2003
- Award for the Best Male Playback Singer for Mayer Anchal by the Kalakar Awards in 2004
- Award for the Best Male Playback Singer for Subho Drishti by the Bengal Film Journalists’ Awards in 2006
- Award for the Best Male Playback Singer for Kasauti Zindagii Kay by the Zee Gold Awards in 2007
- Walked the ramp at the Grand Finale of the Indian Federation for Fashion Development’s Runway Week (Season 6) for fashion designer Agnimitra Paul in 2016
Babul Supriyo’s was an ardent follower of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Narendra Modi. Once while travelling on a flight, he was coincidentally seated with Ramdev. During the flight, Ramdev persuaded him to join the BJP and contest the Lok Sabha elections. He agreed and joined the BJP in 2014. He was announced as the BJP’s candidate for the 2014 General Elections from the Asansol Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal. He contested against Dola Sen of the Trinamool Congress (TMC) and won with a margin of more than 70,000 votes. He was elected as an MP and was inducted in the Narendra Modi government as the Union Minister of State for the Ministry of Urban Development, and the Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation on 9 November 2014. He became the youngest minister in Narendra Modi’s Cabinet. On 12 July 2016. his portfolio was changed and he was given the charge of the Minister of State for Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
In 2019, BJP announced his name as the party’s candidate for the 2019 General Elections from the Asansol Lok Sabha Constituency again. This time his opponent was Moon Moon Sen. Supriyo won the elections with a margin of 2 Lakh votes. On 31 May 2019, he was inducted in Narendra Modi’s cabinet as the Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- A defamation case was filed against Supriyo by TMC MP Mahua Moitra. In her complaint, she stated that Supriyo had tarnished her reputation by calling her drunk on country liquor during a live TV debate. His exact words were- Mahua drunk on Mahua (country liquor is also called Mahua in West Bengal).
- He made a statement in February 2018, asking for a ban on all the Pakistani artists in India and to send them back to Pakistan.
- In March 2018, while addressing the public in a relief camp in Asansol, a few members from the audience started chanting slogans against Supriyo. He lost his temper and threatened everyone that he would skin them alive if they don’t stop.
- On 18 September 2018, while he was attending a function for the differently abled, he got distracted by a man who was moving. He screamed at him and threatened him to break his leg and give him a crutch. He then reportedly asked his security personnel to break the man’s leg if he moves.
What happened to you? Any problem? I can break one of your legs: Union Minister Babul Supriyo to a man during a program for differently abled people at Nazrul Manch in Asansol #WestBengal pic.twitter.com/cFxpF7K6Pn
— ANI (@ANI) September 18, 2018
Favourite Music Director: Nadeem-Shravan
Favourite Singer: Kishore Kumar
Favourite Song: Chingari Koyi Bhadke by Kishore Kumar
Favourite Sport: Football
Flat No. 2D, Prathama, Mohisila Colony, Asansol West Bengal
Car & Bike Collection
Babul Supriyo owns an Audi Q5 (2012 Model), Chevrolet Beat (2011 Model), and a Hyundai i20 Active (2015 Model)
He owns a Royal Enfield Thunderbird (2014 Model)
Assets & Properties
Movable Assets: Rs. 1.30 Crores
Cash: Rs. 46,000
Bank Deposits: Rs. 7.50 Lacs
Jewellery: 200 gm Gold worth Rs. 6 Lacs
Properties: Rs. 2.74 Crores
Non-Agricultural land in Dharampur, Uttarakhand worth Rs. 19 Lacs
Residential building in Andheri, Mumbai worth Rs. 1.7 Crores
Residential building in Howrah, West Bengal worth Rs. 65 Lacs
Residential building in Asansol, West Bengal worth Rs. 20Lacs
Salary & Net Worth
Salary: Rs. 1 Lac per month + Additional allowances (as a Union Minister)
Net Worth: Rs. 5.92 Crores (as in 2019)
- In 2015, he appeared in MTV Coke Studio Season 4 and shared the stage with her daughter Sharmilee Supriyo. They sang I Wanna Fly on the show.
- On 14 March 2019, he was appointed as the Vice-President of the Under 17 Football World Cup Organizing Committee of India. He took to Twitter to thank Praful Patel, President of the All India Football Federation, for the appointment.
— Praful Patel (@praful_patel) March 15, 2017