Moon Moon Sen is an Indian Politician. She was an actress before her entry in politics. She is the daughter of the famous Bengali actress, Suchitra Sen. She is married to the descendant of the Royal Family of Tripura State, Bharat Dev Verma. She contested the 2019 Lok Sabha elections from the Asansol Constituency.
Moon Moon Sen was born on Sunday, 28 March 1954 (age 65 years; as in 2019) in 24 Parganas, Kolkata. Her zodiac sign is Aries. She received her primary education from the Loretto Convent Shillong and the Loretto House Kolkata. She pursued graduation from the Somerville College Oxford, England. She has a Masters Degree in Comparative Literature from Jadavpur University. Moon Moon Sen was not always interested in acting. She worked as a teacher in the Ballygunge Girls’ School and a year later in Chitrabani School; where she used to teach Graphics. She worked in the All India Radio and later, took a teaching job in the Ballygunge Government High School, Kolkata. She got married and had her daughters before she joined the film industry.
She is also a businesswoman and owns an interior design store and a consultancy. She has always said that her husband is the reason for her success and has supported her in all her endeavours. She credits her husband for encouraging her to join politics. Sen joined the TMC after her mother’s death in 2014. She was named by Mamata Banerjee as the TMC candidate from the Bankura Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Medium Golden Brown
She belongs to a Kayastha Family. Her father, Dibanath Sen, was one of the wealthiest businessmen of Kolkata. Her mother, Suchitra Sen, was an actress and had starred in many Bengali and Bollywood films. She has always been considered to be a girl born with a silver spoon. She had the best education from the best schools and colleges. She is married to the descendant of the Royal Family of Tripura State, Bharat Dev Verma. They have two daughters, Raima Sen and Riya Sen.
She started her career with Bengali films. She was very successful and was offered many projects. She got contracts from other film industries such as Marathi, Kannada, Telegu, Malayalam, and Bhojpuri. It also led her to meet Rajinikanth.
She made her Bollywood debut with the 1984 film Andar Bahaar, starring Anil Kapoor and Jackie Shroff. She was noticed instantly; as she played a very bold role. Actresses used to avoid doing such bold scenes in movies in the 1980s.
Even though she was not too successful in Bollywood, she was famous for being bold. She was one of the first actresses who started the trend of doing photoshoots in a bikini. Over the years, she did many Bollywood films with courageous stances and bold roles. She always said that she was comfortable with her body and had no problem if the photo shoot was done in a good sport. She said that she would bare all, even at the age of 70.
In 2004, her film- My Karma, directed by Korak Day, was praised internationally. The film received many International awards. Moon Moon Sen’s role as a “tough and sweet Indian wife, standing like a rock behind her husband” was especially praised in the film which got her international recognition.
- Nandi Award in 1987 for the Best Supporting Actress for the movie Sirivennela
- Kalakar Screen Award for the Best Actress in a Television Role in 1994
- Bharata Nirman Award in the Films & TV Category in 1998
- Kalakar Award for the Best Actress in 2000
She joined the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC) in 2014. Mamata Banerjee announced her name as the TMC candidate from the Bankura Lok Sabha Constituency of West Bengal. Interestingly she had no clue that she was about to be named for the Lok Sabha elections. Her friend called her to congratulate her for the nomination; that is when she got the news. She contested the elections and won from the Bankura seat and was elected to the Lok Sabha. She defeated the 9-time CPI (M) MP Basudeb Acaria from Bankura. It was a big win for Moon Moon Sen and the TMC.
For the 2019 General Elections, Subrata Mukherjee’s name was announced as the TMC candidate from Bankura. Sen was given the ticket to contest the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections from the Asansol Constituency against Union Minister Babul Supriyo. When her name was announced as the candidate for the Asansol seat, Babul Supriyo tweeted-
Mamtaji always presents me with SEN-sational opponents in Asansol Elections… Dola SEN in 2014 and Moonmoon SEN in 2019 !
— Babul Supriyo (@SuPriyoBabul) March 12, 2019
She lost the 2019 Lok Sabha elections to Babul Supriyo.
- In 2014, while she was campaigning in the Bankura Constituency, the roads of Bankura were washed so that no discomfort was caused to Moon Moon Sen, Raima Sen, and Riya Sen by the dust blowing through the roads. This move was widely criticized by the people of Bankura as well as other politicians; as Bankura had a major water shortage and people did not even have water to drink.
- In 2015, she praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi for improving India’s image in the world. She was criticized by some of her party workers because of this statement.
- On 29 April 2019, when she was asked about the ongoing violence in Asansol polling booths, she responded by saying that as woke up late and got her bed tea late, she did not know anything about the incidence. She was widely trolled and criticized for this statement.
- On 14 May 2019, she was criticized when she was asked about the violence in West Bengal and the vandalization of Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar’s statue during the roadshow of BJP National President Amit Shah, and she responded-
It was a tiny bit of violence and it can be overlooked as there had been violence in every state, just look at Uttar Pradesh”.
52/1, Pramathesh Barua Sarani, Ballygunge Circular Road, Ward 69, Ballygunge, Kolkata
Assets & Properties
Cash: 3.15 Lacs INR
Bank Deposits: 1.98 Crores INR
Jewellery: 1352 gm Gold worth 42 Lacs INR, 70 cent Diamond worth 4.6 Lacs INR
Residential Buildings: 3 Residential Apartments in Vedanta Apartment, Ballygunge, Kolkata worth 4.94 Crores INR
- Before her marriage, during an interview, she had expressed her desire to adopt a child.
- Moon Moon Sen has acted in more than 60 films and 40 television serials.
- In Bankura, when she was campaigning for the 2014 General Elections, people addressed her as Suchitra Sen’s daughter, rather than her real name.
- On 21 May 2012, her mother Suchitra Sen was honoured with West Bengal’s highest award, Banga Bibhusan. Moon Moon Sen and Raima Sen were present to receive the award on behalf of Suchitra Sen.
- Her daughters Raima Sen and Riya Sen are often seen with her in many rallies, functions and constituency visits.