Tanushree Dutta is an Indian actress and model. Starting her career from modelling, she came into limelight after the release of her 2005 movie Aashiq Banaya Aapne; opposite Emraan Hashmi. She was born in a Bengali family and has struggled a lot to make her way to the Indian film industry. Want to know more about this sizzling actress? Let’s have a look at her Age, Boyfriend, Family, Career, Biography, and other interesting facts.
Tanushree Dutta was born on 19 March 1984 (39 years, as of 2023) in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India. Her close ones call her by the name Tanu. Hailing from Jamshedpur, she stepped into the Indian film industry in 2005, after participating in 2004 Femina Miss India and 2004 Miss Universe beauty pageants. She made her Bollywood debut with the film Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005); which became a box office success and brought fame to her. The actress has worked in Hindi, Telugu, and Tamil films.
The height of the actress is around 5′ 6″ and her weight is 65 kg. Her figure measurements are 34-30-36. She has Drak Brown eyes and Black hair.
Family & Boyfriend
She belongs to a Bengali Kayastha (Hindu religion) family. Her father’s name is Tapan Dutta; who was an employee of the Life Insurance Corporation of India. Her mother, Shikha Dutta is a homemaker. The actress has one younger sister Ishita Dutta, who is also an actress.
She was in a relationship with Aditya Datt (Film Director).
She completed her schooling from DBMS English School, Jamshedpur.
After completing her schooling, she took admission in Bachelor of Commerce at a Junior College in Pune. She always wanted to enter glamour world and so when she got a chance, she dropped out of her college only to chase her dream. During the initial phase of her career, she worked at an Event Management Company as an Executive. In 2003, she participated in several local beauty pageants. Then, she appeared in Bangladeshi Ad Campaigns, a Bengali TV show, and many stage shows. Later, she featured in Harry Anand’s music video “Saiyan Dil Mein Aana Re.”
In 2004, she won the title of Femina Miss India; which proved to be a turning point in her career.
After this, she represented India in 2004 Miss Universe Beauty Contest and was among the top 10 finalists.
After representing India on this big platform, she was approached for films; Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005) and Chocolate (2005). She made her way to Bollywood with these films and became popular for her bold performance in Aashiq Banaya Aapne opposite Emraan Hashmi. This film opened new doors of opportunities to her, not only in Bollywood but in regional cinema as well.
From 2005-2010, in a short career span, she worked in several Hindi, Tamil, and Telugu movies and played roles of different genres such as romance, horror, comedy, action, and thriller.
In 2010, she culminated her career with the film, “Apartment” and went on sabbatical for almost two and a half years as she was disturbed due to the sexual harassment incident that happened with her. During this period, she stayed in an ashram for almost one and a half years and then moved to Ladakh, Jammu and Kashmir, India. In Ladakh, she learned Vipassanā meditation and some Buddhist meditations related to breathing techniques; which helped her in coming out of depression.
In an interview, she said, “Buddhist monastery in Ladakh is a great reason for bringing my life back to normal. I rediscovered and reinvented myself through this whole process.”
In 2013, she came back into the limelight by making a stunning appearance at the red carpet and high profile media events.
Tanushree Dutta vs Nana Patekar
She became a news sensation when she alleged that her co-star Nana Patekar had misbehaved with her during the rehearsal of her item song for the film ‘Horn Ok Pleassss‘ in 2008. Later, in an interview, she told that just after that incident, she walked out of the film sets and her car was attacked out of frustration and also alleged that there was an involvement of some political parties.
This issue of sexual harassment emerged as a part of #MeToo campaign in India and on 6 October 2018, she filed an FIR against the crew members of the movie Horn Ok Pleassss.
Tanushree Dutta vs Rakhi Sawant
Tanushree Dutta faced false allegations made by Rakhi Sawant who called her a drug addict and liar in 2018. During India’s #MeToo movement, when Tanushree accused Nana Patekar of sexual harassment, Sawant referred to Tanushree’s allegations as a publicity stunt. She even accused Dutta of raping her multiple times; for which Tanushree sued her for ₹10 crore. In turn, Rakhi threatened her with a countersuit of ₹50 crore. In October 2023, Tanushree filed a complaint against Rakhi Sawant at the Oshiwara Police Station in Mumbai for causing her mental trauma during the 2018 Me Too case. India Today After filing the complaint, Tanushree talked to the media outside the police station and said,
I have come here to file an FIR against Rakhi Sawant for the psychological trauma that she caused in 2018 during the Me Too Movement. There are many penal codes added to the FIR based on multiple reasons.”
- She likes to eat Bengali Fish Curry and her favourite fruit is Mango.
- She prefers to take Ice Tea and Coffee.
- Her favourite colour is Black.
- She loves travelling and her favourite destinations are Goa and Ladakh.
- Her all-time favourite actresses are Meena Kumari, Sushmita Sen, Madhuri Dixit, and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan., Bipasha Basu, and Rani Mukherjee.
- She is fond of Akshay Kumar.
- In her free time, she prefers reading the books of Dr. Brian Weiss and Paulo Coelho.
- Tanushree Dutta does not smoke, although she drinks alcohol.
- She doesn’t embrace any religion now. In an interview, she said, “I’ve been on a spiritual quest for ten years. I’ve experienced all religions, embraced them all to finally embrace no religion at all.”
- During her depression phase, she was financially dependent on her father. Also, she shaved her head when she was in Ladakh.
- She is a green card holder (permanent resident) of the United States of America.
- She gained an immense weight during her stay in the USA.
- In 2017, she was in the US and couldn’t attend the wedding of her sister Ishita Dutta due to the travel permit issues.
- She is a good singer but has never sung professionally.
- She is a trained Indian classical dancer.
- During her growing-up years, she went to Rabindranath Tagore Society for Arts for her dance and fine arts training.