Kanwaljit Singh is an Indian actor who predominantly works in Hindi as well as Punjabi movies. He has also gained popularity after featuring in various television shows.
Kanwaljit Singh was born on 19 September in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh. He was bought up in Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He completed his schooling at St. George’s College, Mussoorie. He did his graduation at JV Jain College, Saharanpur. Later, he pursed an acting course from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune. Kanwaljit Singh- Facebook
Height (approx.): 6′ 1″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 34 Inches, Waist: 28 Inches, Biceps: 16 Inches
Parents & Siblings
The name of his parents is not known.
Wife & Children
Kanwaljit got married to Anuradha Patel, who is an actress and is the granddaughter of actor Ashok Kumar.
They have three children- two boys and one daughter. The names of their sons are Sidharth Singh (Musician), and Aditya Singh (Artist).
The name of their daughter (God-daughter) is Mariam.
Kanwaljit started his acting career at the age of 17. He debuted with the Hindi film ‘Shankar Hussain’ as Inaam Husain in 1977.
He has acted in many other Hindi films that include Ashanti (1982), Jeevan Ek Sanghursh (1990), Kuchh Meetha Ho Jaye (2005), Raazi (2018), and Sardar Ka Grandson (2021).
Kanwaljit has also starred in many Punjabi movies like Jee Aayan Nu (2002), Asa Nu Maan Watna Da (2004), Dil Apna Punjabi (2006), Mitti Wajaan Maardi (2007), and Kaptaan (2016).
Kanwaljit made his television debut with the Hindi show ‘Buniyaad’ as Satbir in 1986.
He has also featured in other Hindi shows that include The Sword of Tipu Sultan (1990), Bible Ki Kahaniya (1993), Farmaan (1994), Daraar (1994), and Saans (1998).
He also made his OTT debut with the web series ‘Typewriter’ on Netflix and ‘Hostages’ on Hotstar.
- He won ITA Award for Best Actor – Drama for the Hindi show ‘Saans’ in 2001.
- In 2009, he won STAR Parivaar Award for Favourite Pita for the Hindi show’ Sabki Laadli Bebo.’
- He was nominated for Star Guild Award for Best Actor in a Drama Series for the show ‘Sabki Laadli Bebo’ in 2011.
- In 2014, he was nominated for STAR Parivaar Award for Favourite Pita for the show ‘Ek Nanad Ki Khushiyon Ki Chaabi- Meri Bhabhi.’
- Kanwaljit appeared for NDA Airforce and Merchant Navy exams at the age of 17. He was rejected because of a hearing problem. Deepika Amin
- Later, he started taking interest in acting, and he applied for an acting course in FTII. He gave an audition in Delhi. In an interview, he said that he did not have any knowledge about acting. In the audition, he read the lines of the script in Dev Anand`s style, and the judges were really disappointed. News18 Urdu- YouTube
- Kanwaljit was very uncomfortable when he got exposed to the environment of Mumbai, but later he adapted the lifestyle and got used to it.
- The government had ordered that actor who were above the age of 65 would not be allowed to shoot after the lockdown was over in 2020. He raised his voice against the rule and in an interview, he said,
This rule needs to be changed. Otherwise, what will the hundreds of actors like me do? We are fond of working, we love our work, how can the government stop us? Will the authorities wake up when one senior actor, in depression for being out of work, commits suicide? Not every senior actor or unit member is well placed enough to tide over these difficult times by simply sitting at home, not working. Most of them need to work, some for financial reasons, others for the sheer love of work.”
- After an experience of more than 30 years, in an interview, he gave advice to budding actors and said,
If you feel working here is as important as breathing, this is the industry for you, be patient and stay focused; struggle is there however; if you are good, you will succeed.”
- In 2014, his son went through a rough time in the Srinagar floods. The Times of India In an interview, his son Aditya who is an artist talked about their experience and said,
There was no food and we started eating at mosques and graveyards. The graveyard was behind the mountain, where the locals were serving food so courteously and generously. We also ate at the masjid. They would feed us lots of rice and a spoon of dal. We could not even think of offering money to them as they did it with so much of love and generosity. They did not expect anything but love from us. On the other hand, there were people who were charging `4,000 per blanket per night.”
- He appeared as one of the guests on ‘The Kapil Sharma Show’ Season 2 in November 2021 along with Ranvir Shorey and Daler Mehndi.
- He is often seen posting pictures on Instagram, whenever he meets his old friends from FTII on Instagram.
- He is often spotted drinking at various occasions.
- He is very much into poetry, and often recites poems in videos that he posts on Instagram. Kanwaljit Singh`s- Instagram
- He has appeared in many newspapers.