Vikas Oberoi is a well-known Indian businessman who serves as the Chairman and Managing Director of Oberoi Realty Limited. His company has a diverse range of interests in the real estate sector including housing, retail, hospitality, and corporate industries. Vikas Oberoi is also an owner of the Westin Mumbai Garden City situated in Mumbai. He is known for being the spouse of the former Indian actress, Gayatri Joshi.
Vikas Ranvir Oberoi BNN Network was born on Saturday, 9 September 1967 (age 55 years; as of 2023) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Virgo. After completing his school education, he did his graduation at Jai Hind College, Mumbai University. Forbes Later, Vikas Oberoi pursued the Owner/President Management Program at Harvard Business School, Boston, Massachusetts. The Property Times
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father, Ranvir Oberoi, was a businessman. Ranvir Oberoi began his career as an investor and broker in Mumbai’s real estate market during the 1970s and 1980s. He started his business from a small 300 square feet office in Nariman Point, booking flats in advance sales by paying 10% of the cost and selling them later for a profit after prices went up. Eventually, Ranvir Oberoi decided to become a developer himself by selling his real estate investments and buying land instead. Ranvir Oberoi died in 2016.
His mother’s name is Santosh Oberoi.
His sister, Bindu Oberoi, is a businesswoman.
Wife & Children
On 27 August 2005, Vikas Oberoi got married to former Indian actress Gayatri Joshi. The couple has two sons named Vihaan Oberoi and Yuvaan Oberoi.
Vikas Oberoi was in a relationship with Gayatri Joshi before marrying her in 2005.
His paternal grandfather’s name is Din Dayal Oberoi. His father-in-law, Ramniwas Ji Runthala, is a retired government official. His mother-in-law, Hema Milani, is a UNICEF volunteer.
Vikas Oberoi has a sister-in-law named Ahana Joshi.
Vikas Oberoi began working with Oberoi Realty in 1991 as its Chairman and Managing Director. In 1993, he started working as the Managing Director at Oberoi Constructions Limited He was appointed a Director at Kingston Property Services Limited in 2007. In 2012, he was appointed as the Director of Astir Realty LLP and Pinnacle Aviation Pvt Limited. Vikas Oberoi has been working as the trustee of the Employees Group Gratuity at the Oberoi Foundation since 2011. According to him, he believes in enhancing educational institutions and social infrastructure, and under his leadership, the Oberoi Foundation established the Oberoi International School in Mumbai in 2008 to provide quality education to children.
In 2002, Vikas Oberoi bought a 60-acre campus in Goregaon from Novartis, a pharma company, for Rs. 107 crore. Soon, he transformed the campus into a residential-cum-commercial township that includes residential towers, a mall, two office buildings, a school, and a five-star hotel. In 2003, Oberoi Realty, under Vikas Oberoi’s guidance, acquired a four-acre land parcel in Worli from GlaxoSmithKline, a pharmaceutical company. In 2023, Oberoi Realty Limited, in partnership with Sahana Group, constructed Mumbai’s first Ritz Carlton Hotel and Residences. During the same year, Vikas Oberoi worked on a project to build a hotel, mall, and office tower in Mumbai midtown.
Stamp Paper Allegations
In 2014, Vikas Oberoi was accused of the Stamp Paper controversy. According to some media reports, he allegedly altered the name on stamp papers and impersonated another individual before a Notary. Despite these allegations, Oberoi later denied any wrongdoing. Beyond Headlines
Awards and Achievements
- In 2023, Vikas Oberoi was ranked 1027th in the World’s Billionaires list by Forbes magazine, In 2022, he was ranked 65th in India’s Richest list by Forbes.
- He was honoured with the Best Successor – 2nd Generation award at the HT Mumbai Real Estate Awards.
- In 2017, Vikas Oberoi won the Entrepreneur of the Year (EOY) – Real Estate and Infrastructure award.
- In 2010, Vikas Oberoi was honoured with the True Entrepreneur Of The Year award at the Economic Times ACETECH Awards in Mumbai.
- Food: Biryani, Mushroom cappuccino soup, Arugula salad, Codfish
- He also goes by the name Vicky Oberoi.
- He is a licensed professional pilot and owns a Cirrus SR22 Tango aircraft.
- In 2013, Ranvir Oberoi faced legal trouble after four residents of Oberoi Splendour, one of his projects, accused him of cheating. The flat owners claimed that Oberois delivered smaller flats with lower ceilings than what was promised. Mumbai Mirror
- Vikas Oberoi is a fitness enthusiast who enjoys practising yoga every other day and going to the gym regularly.
- According to Vikas Oberoi, he likes driving, flying helicopters, watching movies, deep water diving, and skiing in his leisure time. He once shared his hobbies and friendship with Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar in a media conversation. Vikas Oberoi said,
Movies apart, I often go for ski and deep water diving holidays abroad and fly my private jet to Ahmedabad, Surat and Jamnagar often during the weekends.”
- In October 2023, Vikas Oberoi and Gayatri Joshi were involved in a car crash in Sardinia, Italy, while on holiday. They were driving a dark blue Lamborghini as part of the Sardinia Supercar Tour. An accident occurred when a Lamborghini and a red Ferrari attempted to overtake a camper van simultaneously. As a result, the van overturned and the Ferrari caught fire, leading to the demise of Melissa Krautli (63) and Markus Krautli (67).