Gayatri Joshi is an Indian model and former Bollywood actress. In 2004, she appeared in her first and only Indian movie ‘Swades.’
Gayatri Joshi was born on Wednesday, 20 March 1974 (age 49 years; as of 2023) in Nagpur, Maharastra, India. Her zodiac sign is Pisces. She completed her school education at Mount Carmel High School, Nagpur, Maharashtra and The J.B. Vachha High School, Dadar, Mumbai. Later, she attained a Bachelor of Commerce Degree from Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 55 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurement (approx.): 34-28-34
Gayatri Joshi belongs to a Marathi-speaking Joshi family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Ramniwas Ji Runthala, and her mother’s name is Hema Milani. She has a sister named Ahana Joshi.
Husband & Children
Gayatri Joshi got married to Vikas Oberoi on 27 August 2005. Vikas Oberoi is the Managing Director of Oberoi Constructions, at the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
The couple has two sons named Vihaan (born in 2006), and Yuvaan (born in 2010).
After completing her education, Gayatri Joshi began her career on Channel V India by becoming Video Jockey on it. In 1999, Gayatri participated in the Femina Miss India competition. She was among the top five contestants of this show.
At the end of the show, the Sony Entertainment Channel selected her to represent India in Japan’s Miss International competition through voting by viewers.
In 2000, she represented India in the Miss International competition organised in Japan.
Soon, she received offers for Indian television commercials including Bombay Dyeing, Philips, Ponds, Godrej, Sunsilk, LG and Gits – Heat and Eat.
She also appeared in a Hyundai ad with Shah Rukh Khan. She appeared in Indian music videos of Jagjit Singh’s Kaghaz Ki Kashti and Hans Raj Hans’ Jhanjaria.
In 2001, Gayatri Joshi modelled for the Seasons Catalogue and Calendar. In December 2004, she made her marking debut opposite Shah Rukh Khan in Ashutosh Gowarikar’s film Swades. This movie was praised by Indian film critics but did not work well at the box office.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Best Female Debut in Bollywood Movie Awards for Swades.
- Most Promising Female Newcomer in Star Screen Awards for Swades.
- Best Newcomer in Global Indian Film Awards for Swades.
- Best Female Debut in Zee Cine Awards for Swades.
- Food: Palak Paneer
- Holiday Destination: Capri Island in Italy
- In her leisure time, Gayatri Joshi adores watching sports and travelling.
- After her marriage in 2005, Gayatri Joshi quit Bollywood and the entertainment industry. In an interview with Bollywood Hungama, she revealed the reason behind quitting the entertainment industry. She stated,
I met my husband, Vikas Oberoi, and also I was very satisfied where my career had taken me. And when I met Vikas, I realized that this was something that I wanted more than doing movies and being in Bollywood. That’s why; it was quite easy to give up that thought. I could have continued to work yet be married. But I consciously made that decision because if I am committing to something, I wanted to give my hundred per cent to it. And I always wanted to commit my hundred per cent to my marriage, to my family and to my children.”
- In October 2023, Gayatri and her husband, Vikas Oberoi, met an accident in Italy. According to reports, while travelling in Sardinia in their Lamborghini, a Ferrari crashed into their car and a campervan. Gayatri and Vikas survived the accident; however, another couple, identified as Markus Krautli and Melissa Krautliin from Zurich, Switzerland, in the campervan died. Vikas reportedly later faced charges of double road homicide under Italian law. India Today Hindustan Times