Surinder Pal Dhammi (1959-2023), who is better known by his stage name ‘Surinder Shinda,’ was an Indian Punjabi singer. He was famous for some of his films, like ‘Jeona Morh’ (1981), ‘Putt Jattan De’ (1982), ‘Kithe Mera Punjab’ (1993), and so many more. Shinda passed away at 64 on 26 July 2023 in Dayanand Medical College & Hospital Ludhiana because of an infection that caused multiple organ failure.
Surinder Shinda was born as Surinder Pal Dhammi (age 64 years; at the time of death) on Wednesday, 20 May 1959 in Choti Ayali Village, Ludhiana District, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Tauras. Shinda grew up around music as his family was into classical singing. He attended Government Multipurpose Senior Secondary School, Ludhiana, where he attained his formal education and later completed his graduation in Mechanical Engineering.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Natural Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Surinder Shinda’s father, Mistri Bachan Ram, was a carpenter and a classical singer, and his mother, Videavati, was a homemaker. His mother belonged to the Koom Kalan Village, District Ludhiana, where Shinda spent most of his time; however, there is not much information about his siblings.
Wife & Children
Surinder Shinda was married to Joginder Kaur, who was the cousin of Dev Tharikewala’s wife. Surinder Shinda and his wife had two sons, Maninder Shinda, and Simran Shinda, and two daughters, Meena, and Neenu. Maninder Shinda and Simran Shinda are also singers who are taking their father’s legacy forward.
Surinder Shinda started his singing career in the early 1970s and made some classic songs like ‘Ucha Burj Lahore da,’ which gave him global recognition.
Later, he released his album ‘Rakhle Cylinder Yaara,’ which was a huge hit of that time. Surinder Shinda released many super-hit songs like ‘Put Jattan De,’ ‘Badla Jatti Da,’ ‘Jagga Jatt,’ ‘Kaliyan,’ ‘Patola,’ ‘Naina De Vanjare,’ (1978) and so many more. Shinda did live performances all around the globe, and his audience loved him for his ‘Kali’ singing and his way of presenting Punjabi folk.
Surinder Shinda appeared in many Punjabi movies like ‘Badla Jatti da’ (1991), which starred Gugu Gill, Yograj Singh, Amar Noorie and many others. In 1991, Shinda also appeared in the famous action movie Jatt Jeona Morh’ (1991), which was a blockbuster at the box office. In 2013, another hit movie, ‘Punjab Bolda,’ was released, which starred Surinder Shinda alongside Binnu Dhillon and Karamjit Anmol. Surinder Shinda’s film career was as successful as his singing career and was loved by the masses.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- Surinder Shinda received various regional honours and was also awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Brit Asia TV Music Awards in 2013.
- He was honoured by the state government with the Shiromani Gayak award while the Kala Parishad bestowed on him the Punjab Gaurav Rattan title.
- Surinder Shinda received the Lifetime Achievement Award at the PTC Punjabi Music Awards.
On 26 July 2023, Surinder Shinda breathed his last in Dayanand Medical College & Hospital Ludhiana after suffering from an infection caused by an unknown surgery, which resulted in kidney failure. The Indian Express Many famous personalities like Bhagwant Mann, Amar Noorie, Jazzy B, Gippy Grewal, etc., have expressed their grief over Surinder Shinda’s death on their social media handles.
- Singer (s): Noor Jehan and Shaukat Ali Khan.
- Surinder Shinda introduced famous singers like Amar Singh Chamkila and Gill Hardeep into the Punjabi singing industry.
- Surinder Shinda’s maternal grandfather was a singer who used to sing with Dotara instrument.
- Pandit Gurdan Das Ji, from whom Shinda’s father learnt to sing, also taught him how to play the harmonium and introduced Surinder to various Ragas.
- He started learning singing from the famous music composer and singer, Ustaad Jaswant Singh Bhanwra.
- Surinder Shinda loved Pakistani music.
- Surinder Shinda got the chance to attend the famous Harballabh Sangeet Sammelan in his early days, where he was fortunate enough to witness the live singing of Bade Ghulam Ali Khan.
- Amar Singh Chamkila used to work as a secretary for Surinder Shinda and used to take bookings for live shows.
- Surinder Shinda loved doing yoga.
- Surinder Shinda owned a music label, ‘Shinda Records.’
- Surinder Shinda worked and performed with famous Punjabi artists like Kuldeep Manak, Sardool Sikander, Surinder Sonia, Hans Raj Hans, Gurdas Maan, and many more.
- Surinder Shinda used to do farming before becoming a singer.
- After the release of his album, ‘Jeona Morh’ (1981), he received Rs. 21 and a few woollen blankets as a reward. Cine Punjabi