Surendra Prasad Yadav is an Indian politician of RJD. He has served as MP and MLA in his political career of more than 3 decades. He is considered a Bahubali leader of Gaya area in Bihar.
Surendra Prasad Yadav was born on Friday, 2 January 1959 (age 64 years; as of 2023) in Chiraiya village in Rampur block of Gaya district of Bihar, India. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He passed his post graduate degree at Magadh University, Bodh Gaya in 1992.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 75 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
He belongs to an agricultural family.
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Bhuneshwar Yadav who died in 2021. He has a younger brother named Sanjay Prasad Yadav who is a former MLA from Godda.
Wife & Children
His wife’s name is Meena Devi. The couple has two sons and three daughters.
He follows Hinduism.
He first met Lalu Prasad Yadav in 1981 when Lalu was a Lok Dal Party member and joined the Lok Dal Party and later Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) party after its formation in 1997. He contested Lok Sabha elections from Jehanabad seat in 1985; however, he could not win. In 1990, he contested Bihar Legislative Elections from Belaganj seat and went on to win for seven consecutive terms from the same seat. He contested from Jehanabad constituency in the Lok Sabha elections in 1998 and won; however, when he fought again from the same seat, he lost.
He has held several important portfolios in Bihar cabinet including Industrial Ministry, Excise Ministry, and Cooperative Ministry. He has also served as a member of various committees including Advisory Committee of Coal Ministry, Standing Committee of Industry Ministry of India, Library Committee of Bihar, Housing Committee of Bihar, and Request Committee of Bihar.
He has many criminal cases registered against him.
- 2 charges related to Attempt to murder (IPC Section-307)
- 1 charge related to Undue influence at elections (IPC Section-171C)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for undue influence or personation at an election (IPC Section-171F)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for criminal intimidation (IPC Section-506)
- 1 charge related to Voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means (IPC Section-324)
- 1 charge related to Voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or means (IPC Section-326)
- 1 charge related to False statement in connection with an election (IPC Section-171G)
- 4 charges related to Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant (IPC Section-188)
- 2 charges related to Punishment for voluntarily causing hurt (IPC Section-323)
- 2 charges related to Punishment of criminal conspiracy (IPC Section-120B)
- 2 charges related to Punishment of criminal conspiracy (IPC Section-120B)
- 2 charges related to Punishment for Rioting (IPC Section-147)
- 2 charges related to Every member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence committed in prosecution of common object (IPC Section-149)
- 1 charge related to Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace (IPC Section-504)
- 1 charge related to Putting person in fear of injury in order to commit extortion (IPC Section-385)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for wrongful restraint (IPC Section-341)
- 1 charge related to Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention (IPC Section-34)
- 1 charge related to Negligent act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life (IPC Section-269)
- 1 charge related to Malignant act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life (IPC Section-270)
- 1 charge related to Criminal force (IPC Section-350)
- 1 charge related to Concealing design to commit offence punishable with imprisonment (IPC Section-120)
- 1 charge related to Wrongful confinement of person for whose liberation writ has been issued (IPC Section-345)
- 1 charge related to Disclosure of identity of the victim of certain offences etc (IPC Section-228A)
- 1 charge related to Assault or criminal force to deter public servant from discharge of his duty (IPC Section-353)
- 1 charge related to Rioting, armed with deadly weapon (IPC Section-148)
- 1 charge related to Punishment for criminal trespass (IPC Section-447)
Tearing Women Reservation Bill in Lok Sabha
On 20 July 1998, while he was Member of Parliament (MP) in Lok Sabha from Jehanabad constituency, he snatched the copy of women reservation bill from then Law Minister M. Thambi Durai and tore it up. He then went to speaker’s table and threw away the copies of the bill in the air. This move led to a stain on the proceedings of Lok Sabha forever, and Yadav could not win again in Lok Sabha elections. India Today In April 2023, while speaking at Ambedkar Jayanti, he claimed that Dr B. R. Ambedkar appeared in his dream and told him to stop the bill from being passed, hence he tore the bill. He said,
Beating up his rivals
He has been accused of beating up his political rivals on various occasions. In 1991, he beat up Jai Kumar Palit, a former MLA of Congress, when Palit was campaigning for Jeetan Ram Manjhi, former Chief Minister of Bihar and then Congress candidate. The Telegraph In 2002, it was alleged that he kidnapped Atul Prakash Sinha and kept his hostage at his house for two days and beat him up severely. Rediff
Revealing identity of Rape victim
On 14 June 2018, a group of some people raped a women and her 15-year old daughter near Sondiha village under Konch police station. On 15 June 2018, when the police team was taking the teenage victim to the hospital for the medical examination, a group of RJD supporters led by Yadav stopped the vehicle and forced the victim to narrate her ordeal. A few of Yadav’s supporters took photographs of the victim and also made videos. This incident caused outrage among the public, and later police filed a case against Yadav and other people under the relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, 2012. Outlook
Remarks against Agniveer Scheme
In February 2023, he said very controversial things about the Agniveer scheme implemented in the Army. He said that after 8.5 years, when the present Indian Army personnel will retire, India would have an Army of Eunuchs (Hijron Ki Fauj). He went on to say that the boys recruited through Agniveer scheme would face trouble in getting married as no one would like to give their daughters to retired men. He later demanded that the person who suggested the Agniveer scheme should be hanged. The Times of India Hindustan
Remarks against Bageshwar Dham
In May 2023, before the Bihar visit of Pandit Dhirendra Shastri, Yadav gave a controversial statement and said that Shastri makes the women and girls dance in the name of ghosts at his shows and questioned that why the sisters and mothers of those people, who support Pandit Shastri, do not go to his shows. Dainik Bhaskar Jansatta
In July 2023, a video became viral in which Dhanwant Singh Rathore, a resident of Samastipur and head of an organization named Kshatriya Seva Mahasangh, threatened Surendra Prasad Yadav and his family members and announced a reward of Rs 11 crores for any person who would kill Yadav. He claimed that Yadav passed some obscene remarks against a female member of Belaganj Municipal committee, and he was forced to place the bounty on his head. On 4 July 2023, police arrested Rathore from Patna. Aaj Tak
He owns a Gypsy, Ford Endeavor, and Mahindra Scorpio.
Assets & Properties
- Cash: Rs. 10,19,074
- Bank Deposits: Rs. 34,19,025
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 64,08,556
- Jewellery: Rs. 10,02,545
- Other Assets : Rs. 75,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 55,23,400
- Non-Agricultural Land: Rs. 59,95,000
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 60,24,850
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 2,60,00,000
- He is considered very close to Lalu Prasad Yadav, his son, Tejashwi Yadav, and his family.
- He has survived many assassination attempts during different times of his life.
- He is popularly called as Magadh Samrat by his followers.