Rashmeet Kaur is an Indian singer-songwriter who is well known for the remakes of popular Punjabi folk songs Bajre Da Sitta, Buhe Bariyan, and Ik Meri Aakh Kashni.
Rashmeet Kaur was born on Tuesday, 8 March 1994 (age 27 years; as of 2021), in Punjab, India. She was raised in Delhi. Since childhood, she was inclined towards music and started singing at the age of five. It was her mother who introduced Rashmeet to the world of music by teaching her Gurmat sangeet (religious Sikh songs) and giving harmonium lessons. In an interview, while sharing her childhood memories, she said,
I couldn’t reach the pump of the harmonium, but I was playing it.”
Later, she began her formal music training at Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Delhi. Meanwhile, she continued learning Gurmat sangeet from her teacher, Jasvinder Kaur. At the age of ten, she secured herself the honour to perform before the former Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. She performed in numerous college festivals and also won the IIT Delhi classical competition.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black
Family & Caste
She began her musical journey when she appeared as a contestant in the singing reality show ‘Sa Re Ga Ma Pa’ (2012). In the show, she was among the top 40 contestants. Later, in the same year, she won the title of Sur Sartaj (2012). In 2013, she was among the top 10 contestants in the Punjabi language singing reality series ‘Voice of Punjab Season 4.’ Thereafter, she performed various stage shows, live gigs in colleges, corporate shows, etc. She lent her voice in numerous ad jingles. In 2015, she came into the limelight when she participated in ‘Asia’s singing superstar.’ During the show, she sang the Punjabi folk song “Jugni Ji,” which went viral over the internet.
In 2017, she worked as a playback singer in the Bollywood film Phillauri for the song “Heer.” In 2018, she released her first original song “Maati ki Gudiya,” which aimed at spreading awareness about child marriages. She gained popularity when she, along with producer Su Real, became the winners of Amazon’s ‘The Remix’ (2018). The music reality show featured the renowned Indian singers Sunidhi Chauhan, and Amit Trivedi, and DJ Nucleya as judges. As a part of their winning, Rashmeet and Su Real took away a prize money of Rs 50 lakh.
After her big win, she secured herself the opportunity to collaborate with DJ Nucleya for the songs “Mirza” and “Mahiya” of his 2019 album ‘Tota Myna.’ In November 2020, she released the album ‘Manjh Muhabbat Teri,’ which consisted of six shabads (Sikh hymns). In January 2021, she released her debut extended play ‘Musafir,’ featuring four songs based on the poetries of Sufi greats Bulle Shah and Shah Hussain. Later, in the same year, she struck stardom with the remake of the song “Bajre Da Sitta” a popular Punjabi folk song first sung by Surinder Kaur and Prakash Kaur.
In 2021, Rashmeet shot to fame with the song “Nadiyon Paar (Let the Music Play),” recreated by composers Sachin-Jigar from the 2004 party song “Let the music play” by Shamur.
- In 2017, she was awarded the Mirchi Music Awards (Bangla) in the category of “Upcoming Female Voice of the year.”
- Winner of Amazon’s ‘The Remix’ (2018)
- Winner of Sur Sartaj (2012)
- Singer(s): Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Abida Parveen, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Gurdas Maan, Beyoncé, and Arijit Singh
- Music Genre(s): Sufi, Jazz, Blues, and Indian classical
- She is a versatile singer who is well versed in Sufi, Classical, Bollywood, English and Punjabi songs.
- Apart from singing, she also skilled in rapping, beatboxing, and playing various instruments.
- She has “ਮਨ ਜੀਤੇ ਜੱਗ ਜੀਤ” (Mann Jitte Jag Jeet) inked on her left arm. The line translates to “Conquer the mind, Conquer the World” and belongs to the holy book of Sikhs ‘Guru Granth Sahib.’ She also has “Patience” inked on her left arm.
- She has a tattoo inked on her left albow.
- Rashmeet Kaur is a fitness enthusiast. Her Instagram account features various pictures in which Rashmeet is actively performing yoga.