Prithvi Shaw is a right-handed opening batsman and the captain of Indian Under-19 cricket team who won the 2018 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup. He is known as India’s next Sachin Tendulkar. Check out Prithvi Shaw Wiki, Height, Weight, Age, Girlfriend, Caste, Family, Biography & More.
Prithvi Pankaj Shaw was born on 9 November 1999 in Virar, Maharashtra, India. When he was just 3, his father enrolled him in the cricket academy in Virar, Maharashtra. He lost his mother at the age of 4. At that time, his father runs the garment business, but he stops running his business only to focus on his son Prithvi’s cricket career.
Prithvi used to play cricket with his friends and father at the beach which lies near the JW Marriott. When he was 11 years old, he received a contract offer from AAP Entertainment Limited that let him shifted to Mumbai along with his father to continue his study in cricket.
He is approximately 5’ 7” tall and weighs around 55 kg. He has dark brown eyes and black hair.
Parents & Siblings
Prithvi Shaw belongs to a middle-class Hindu-Vaisya family and was born to Pankaj Shaw. When he was just 4, his mother passed away, and his father then raised him single-handedly. He was born and raised in Mumbai but has his roots in Gaya, Bihar.
In May 2023, he officially declared his relationship with actress and model Nidhi Tapadia. He made his first public appearance with Nidhi at the IIFA 2023.
He did his schooling at A.V.S. Vidyamandir, Virar, Mumbai and Rizvi Springfield High School, Mumbai. Currently, he is pursuing his graduation from Rizvi College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Mumbai. He came into limelight in 2013 when he played for Rizvi Springfield High School in the Harris Shield Cricket Tournament and scored 546 runs in just 330 balls in an innings. He also played for the Under-14, Under-16, and Under-19 Mumbai cricket team.
In January 2017, he made his first-class debut for Mumbai against Tamil Nadu in the Ranji Trophy tournament at Rajkot, Gujarat in which he was declared as man of the match. In the same year, he made his List A debut against Gujarat in the Vijay Hazare Trophy tournament at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
In 2017, he became the captain of the India U-19 cricket team for the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup and played his first Youth ODI against Australia in which he scored 94 off 100 balls and declared as man of the match.
On 3 February 2018, India U-19 won the 2018 Under-19 Cricket World Cup under his captaincy.
On 4 October 2018, he made his Test debut against West Indies at Rajkot, where he scored his maiden century and was later named the Player of the Series. On 5 February 2020, he made his ODI debut against New Zealand at Seddon Park. In July 2023, he announced that he would play for English county side Northamptonshire. Rediff
Records & Achievements
- The first schoolboy cricketer to hit a 500 plus score in an official inter-school match (546 runs from 330 balls playing for Rizvi Springfield in a Harris Shield match).
- The youngest Indian and 5th overall opener to a score a 50 on Test debut behind – Hanif Mohammad, Jeff Stollmeyer, Tamim Iqbal and Imran Farhat.
- The first Indian cricketer to score a century on debut in the Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy, and Test.
- The 15th Indian and 106th overall player to score a century on Test debut.
- The 2nd youngest Indian (after Sachin Tendulkar) and 7th overall to score a century (18 years 329 days) on Test debut.
- The 13th youngest Indian cricketer overall to play a Test match.
- 2nd fastest List A hundred by an Indian batter (scoring 244 off 153 balls for Northamptonshire vs Somerset in England One-Day Cup match in 2023)
Selfie row with fans
On 15 February 2023, Prithvi Shaw registered a case against eight people, two of whom were identified as Shobhit Thakur and Sana or Sapna Gill (a social media influencer), accusing them of chasing his car and mobbing him with baseball bats. In his complaint, the cricketer alleged that Sapna, along with a man, approached him for selfies at a luxury hotel near the Mumbai airport, and after taking a few selfies, he wanted them to leave, but they insisted on having more selfies following which the cricketer asked his friend and the manager of the hotel to kick them out. Prithvi Shaw, in his complaint, said that when he came out of the hotel, Sapna and others mobbed him, and when he drove off, they chased his car and broke the windshield after intercepting his car at a traffic signal near Oshiwara. In the complaint, Prithvi Shaw’s friend alleged that they demanded Rs 50,000 from the cricketer on the pretext of a fake police case. Later, the Oshiwara police arrested Sapna Gill. NDTV An FIR was filed against the cricketer by Sapna Gill before the Andheri magistrate’s court on 5 April 2023; the FIR was filed under IPC sections 354 (assault of criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) 509 (word/gesture/act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) and 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means). NDTV In July 2023, a viral CCTV video revealed that Shaw was the one who instigated the altercation. The incident occurred when Shobhit Thakur, a friend of Sapna Gill, approached Shaw to request a selfie. Cricket Country
- He idolizes Sachin Tendulkar.
- His favourite actor is Govinda and his favourite actress is Deepika Padukone.
- In free time, he likes listening to Arijit Singh.
- He gives training and playing for the Mumbai’s MIG (Middle Income Group) Cricket Club.
- He was coached by Santosh Pingulkar and Rahul Dravid.
- His Jersey number for India U-19 is 100.
- He loves making dubsmash clips.
- In 2018, Delhi Daredevils bought him for Rs 1.2 crore for the 2018 Indian Premier League (IPL) auction.
- In December 2019, during a match against Punjab in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, he was spotted using a bat having an autograph of Virat Kohli.
— BCCI Domestic (@BCCIdomestic) November 27, 2019