Namita Thapar is an Indian entrepreneur. She is the Executive Director of Emcure Pharmaceuticals (as of 2022), an Indian multinational pharmaceutical company headquartered in Pune, Maharashtra.
Namita Thapar was born on Monday, 21 March 1977 (age 45 years; as of 2022) in Pune, Maharashtra. Her zodiac sign is Aries. She completed her primary and secondary education at a school in Pune. While in school, Namita gave up all the extracurricular activities and put her entire focus on academics. She was a bright student and always stood first in her class (school days). After completing her schooling, Namita enrolled herself at Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune, to pursue B. Com. Meanwhile, she also pursued Chartered Accountancy from ICAI. Thereafter, she pursued an MBA from Fuqua School of Business at Duke University, Durham, North Carolina. Emcure Thrive Global
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Namita’s father, Satish Mehta, is an Indian businessman. He is the founder of Emcure Pharmaceuticals. Her mother’s name is Bhavana Mehta. She has a younger brother, Samit Mehta, who is the President R& D of Emcure Pharmaceuticals.
Husband & Children
Namita Thapar is married to Vikas Thapar, a businessman. The couple has two sons named Vir Thapar and Jai Thapar.
After completing her MBA, Namita got placed at Guidant Corporation, a medical device company in the USA. She began working there in the financial planning department as a business finance lead. She served the company in various capacities for around 6 years. Subsequently, she joined Emcure Pharmaceuticals as CFO. Slowly, her operation area expanded in the company and she started looking after the Indian business of the company. As of 2022, she is serving as the Executive Director of Emcure Pharmaceuticals.
In 2017, she founded the education company ‘Incredible Ventures Ltd.’ The company aims at promoting youth entrepreneurship by instilling entrepreneurial skills in children of 11-18 years of age group. It has branches in Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, and Ahmedabad.
Thapar is a Board Member of the Regional Advisory Board of Fuqua School of Business. Namita is an active member of the Young Presidents Organization. She is also a trustee on TiE Mumbai Board of Trustees. In December 2021, she appeared as a jury member in Shark Tank India, the Indian adaptation of the popular American business reality show ‘Shark Tank.’ The show features a panel of potential judges also known as Sharks who listen to various new business models and ideas and invest in them.
Awards & Honours
- The Economic Times Women Ahead List 2017
- The Economic Times ’40 under Forty’ India’s Hottest Young Business Leaders List 2017
- Barclays Hurun Next Gen Leader Recognition
- World Women Leadership Congress Super Achiever Award
- Food: Undhiyu
- Beverage: Tea
- Colour: Yellow
- Costume Designer: Anamika Khanna
- Film: Sholay (1975)
- Namita loves travelling and reading in her leisure time.
- She is fond of watching Bollywood films. During an interview, she shared that she used to visit the theatre for the first day first show of almost all the Bollywood films before her marriage. Namita further revealed that she named her kids Vir and Jai after the names of the lead characters in the Bollywood film Sholay (1975).
- The popular Indian banker Naina Lal Kidwai and the Indian-American business tycoon Indra Nooyi are her inspiration.
- In an interview, Namita talked about the three Ms that help her maintain her physical and mental balance. She said,
I relax in three ways—massage, movies and meditation. I ensure I schedule time for this on a routine basis so I don’t reach that breaking point.”
- She has been a part of many government (Indian) initiatives including NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform and ‘Champions of Change’ programme. The programmes were initiated by PM Narendra Modi for G2B partnership in policy-making.
- Namita is a public speaker and has delivered her speech at various prestigious forums like Harvard Business School, Indian Institute of Management (IIM- Ahmedabad), ET women’s conference, and FICCI.
- During an interview, when asked about her personal policy on gadgets, Namita replied,
I am addicted to my phone as so much of my work happens over e-mail and Whatsapp and I enjoy Twitter and podcasts. However, I make sure not to carry my phone to meetings. It is absolutely disrespectful to the speakers if you keep checking messages while they are presenting and I am very particular about my work ethic which must reflect basic manners and a certain class. My son commented how much I am on the phone and since that day I try to check my messages only once every hour when I am at home. I am trying to extend this to once every two hours. “
- While she was working at Guidant Corporation, USA, Namita was named ‘Velvet Hammer’ by one of the company’s directors. Instagram- Namita Thapar
- During the Covid-19 pandemic, Namita created a YouTube channel titled Uncondition Yourself with Namita Thapar. On the channel, she uploads the videos of her talk show which aims to provide authentic information and break stigmas and taboos associated with women’s health.