Nam Joo-hyuk is a South Korean actor and model. Nam Joo-hyuk is known for his roles in the K-dramas ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ (2015), ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo’ (2016), ‘The Bride of Habaek’ (2017), and ‘The Light in Your Eyes’ (2019).
Nam Joo-hyuk was born on Tuesday, February 22, 1994 (age 26 years; as of 2020), in Dongsam-dong, Yeongdo District, Busan, South Korea. His zodiac sign is Pisces.
He completed his elementary schooling from Sangri Elementary School. He studied in Kyungham Middle School, Busan. Later, he moved to Suwon, Gyeonggi Province of South Korea, and transferred to Changyong Middle School in Suwon and completed his middle schooling there. He completed his high school education at Suil High School, Suwon. He did his bachelor’s in Model Acting Art from Seoul Hoseo Art Occupational Training College.
Height: 6′ 1½”Daum
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Family, Ethnicity & Relationships
Not much is known about his family.
He was in a relationship with the actress Lee Sung-kyung. The couple started dating after they finished the shooting of the show ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo’ in 2016. The couple was known as ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo couple.’ Sadly, after dating each other for a few months, they parted ways due to their busy schedules.
- K-Plus (2013-14)
- YG KPLUS (February 2014- February 2020)
- Management SOOP (March 2020-Present)
As a Model
After Joo-hyuk came to Seoul, he participated in the contest ‘Top Model’ which was sponsored by K-Plus’ modeling agency and won it. He was signed as an exclusive model of K-Plus immediately. In 2013, he made his debut at the Songzio Homme 2014 s/s collection.
In 2014, when YG Entertainment and K-Plus signed an alliance contract, Nam Joo-hyuk became a part of both the companies. He has appeared in advertisements for brands such as Hyundai, SoCar, Nongshim, Le Coq Sportif, and Aveda Korea. In November 2017, Penshoppe, a clothing brand based in the Philippines, signed Nam Joo-hyuk as its new model and he became one of its brand ambassadors.
On April 17, 2019, Nam was announced as the brand ambassador of Dior Men in Asia.
As an Actor
In April 2014, Nam Joo-hyuk appeared in the music video of ‘200%’ and ‘Give Love’ by the South Korean duo Akdong Musician.
Later in August 2014, he made his acting debut with the K-drama ‘The Idle Mermaid/Surplus Princess’ as ‘Park De-bak.’
He garnered attention after he appeared in the 2015 teen K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in the lead role of ‘Han Yi-yan.’
He has appeared in many popular k-dramas including Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016), Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo (2016), The Bride of Habaek (2017), The Light in Your Eyes (2019), The School Nurse Files (2020), and Start-Up (2020). In 2018, he made his film debut with South Korean historical epic action ‘The Great Battle’ (2018) as ‘Sa-mool.’
He has also acted in the South Korean films Josee (2020) and Remember (2020).
Awards & Achievements
- The 3rd CFDK Awards for Fashion Model of the Year (Male) in 2014
- APAN Star Award for Best New Actor for the K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in 2015
- KBS Drama Award for Popular Actor (Male) for the K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in 2015
- Soompi Award for Breakout Actor for the K-drama ‘Who Are You: School 2015’ in 2015
- MBC Drama Award for Best New Actor for the K-drama ‘Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo’ in 2016
- Drama Fever Award for Breakout Actor for the K-drama ‘Cheese in the Trap’ in 2017
Awards Won for the film ‘The Great Battle’
- Marie Claire Asia Star Awards – Rising Star Award in 2018
- The Seoul Award for Best New Actor in 2018
- Korean Association of Film Critics Awards for Best New Actor in 2018
- Blue Dragon Film Award for Best New Actor in 2018
- KOFRA Film Awards for Best New Actor in 2019
- Food: Tteok-bokki, Scallops, Pork Soup, Grilled Clams
- Color: Blue
- Drink: Pocari Sweat
- Fruit(s): Strawberry, Peaches, Apples, Grapes
- Singer(s): Kurt Cobain, Damien Rice
- Song: Missing You by Lee Hi
- Basketball Player(s): Stephen Curry, Kobe Bryant, Paul George
- Nam Joo-hyuk likes traveling, swimming, boxing, playing basketball, listening to music, and watching television and films.
- His name ‘Joo-hyuk’ means ‘shiny pillar,’ which was given to him by his grandfather.
- When he was in Busan, his nickname was ‘Namsang.’ Tenasia
- Nam Joo-hyuk’s blood group is ‘A.’ Tenasia
- When he was in Busan, he had a dream of becoming a basketball player and played basketball for three years. When he was in the 3rd grade of his middle school, he had a shin bone injury and went through an operation. Before the surgery, he was on medical leave for 2 months and took about 3 months of medical leave after the surgery. This made him leave basketball as he was no longer suited for it. He still plays basketball as a hobby.
- In his high school, he saw the models Kim Won-joong, Ahn Jae-hyun (now an actor), and Jang Ki-yong (now an actor) in a magazine and became fascinated by them. He thought modeling to be cool and wanted to try it. Therefore, he started to practice modeling from that time onwards.
- He has also appeared in the variety shows such as Off to School (2014-15), Three Meals a Day: Gochang Village (2016), Cofee Friends (2019), and Three Meals a Day: Mountain Village (2019).
- He has also appeared in the music videos of ‘Chocolate’ by Kangnam featuring Sang E and ‘When it Snows’ by musical duo 1415.
- On April 6, 2019, Joo-hyuk donated about 30 Million Won (around $26,233) to the Hope Bridge Association of the National Disaster Relief for the victims of the Gangwon Province wildfire of 2019 in South Korea.
- Nam Joo-hyuk owns two pet dogs; one of them is named ‘Gob Son’ and the other one is named ‘Ga Eul.’
- He is best friends with the South Korean actor Ji Soo and both are often seen spending time together.
References [ + ]