Suho is a South Korean singer, songwriter, and actor. He is the leader and lead vocalist of one of the biggest South Korean boybands, Exo. The Exo-Ls (fandom of Exo) calls him ‘Bunny’ with love.
Suho was born as ‘Kim Jun-myeon’ on Wednesday, 22 May 1991 (age 29 years; as in 2019) in Seoul, South Korea. His zodiac sign is Gemini.
He did his schooling from Seoul Yunjung Elementary School, Whimoon High School, Seoul, and Gaepo High School, Seoul. He studied Drama at Korea National University of Arts, but dropped out of it in 2011. He did his Bachelors from the Culture and Arts Department of Business Administration of Kyung Hee Cyber University, Seoul. He did his Masters from the Department of Cultural Management of Inha University, Icheon, South Korea.
Height (approx.): 5’ 8”
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black (dyed copper, golden blonde, red, silver, light brown, light blonde, and more)
Family & Ethnicity
Suho was born into a Buddhist family and also practices Buddhism. Korea Herald Suho’s father’s name is Kim Young-ha who is a professor at the IT Finance Management Department of Soonchunhyang University, Seoul and also a politician. His father is also a former head of the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs.
His mother’s name is Choi Tae-ryeon. He has an elder brother named Kim Dong-kyu.
Agency: SM Entertainment
As a Member of Exo
At the age of 16, he joined SM Entertainment as a trainee through the companies auditions after he was spotted by a casting director of SM entertainment. Suho was the first member of Exo to join SM Entertainment. Suho trained in SM for six and a half years, and was finally, cast as the tenth member of Exo. Initially, Exo (twelve-member group back then) was equally divided into two subgroups, Exo-K and Exo-M, from which the former was responsible for promoting their albums in South Korea, and the latter in China. Suho was a part of Exo-K. Exo (both K & M) debuted with the single “What Is Love” on 30 January 2012; followed by the EP “Mama.” The group made their debut stage with the song ‘Mama’ on 8 April 2012.
The band released their first studio album “XOXO” in 2013.
The song ‘Growl’ from the album was an instant hit in South Korea, Japan, and China.
The band continued to promote itself as Exo-K and Exo-M until three of its members- Luhan, Kris, and Tao left the band due to some issues with SM Entertainment, leaving the band as a nine-member group. The band has many hit EPs and albums to its name such as XOXO (2013), Overdose (2014), Exodus (2015), Ex’Act (2016), The War (2017), Don’t Mess Up My Tempo (2018), Obsession (2019), and Countdown (2020). The band also has many hit songs to its name, Growl, Overdose, Call Me Baby, Monster, Lotto, Ko Ko Bop, Power, Tempo, Love Shot, and Obsession. In 2015, Exo made their Japanese debut with the single “Love Me Right ~Romantic Universe~.” The band has Japanese singles like Coming Over, Electric Kiss, Drop That, TacTix, Run This, and Birds to its name.
Suho made an appearance as an extra in the film “Attack On The Pin-Up Boys” in 2007. In 2013, he voiced the character ‘Bernard’ in the Korean dub of the animated film “Saving Santa.” He made his acting debut with the film “One Way Trip” (2016) as ‘Sang-woo.’
He has also played lead roles in the films, Middle School Girl A (2018) and The Present (2019). Suho made cameo appearances in the K-dramas, To The Beautiful You (2012) and Prime Minister & I (2014). He made his acting debut with the web K-drama “Exo Next Door” (2015) as ‘Suho’ (the fictional version of himself).
The Universe’s Star (2017), Rich Man (2018), and How Are You Bread (2020) are some of his popular K-dramas. Suho and Exo’s Xiumin were featured in the documentary “Korea From Above” (2017) in which they narrated the whole documentary on South Korea. He has also hosted the show SBS Inkigayo. He has also done theatre. In 2015, he made his theatre debut with the play “School Oz” in which he played the lead role. He also played the lead roles in the theatre plays, The Last Kiss (2017) and The Man Who Laughs (2018 & 2020). He released his debut solo EP “Self-Portrait” in 2020.
Awards, Achievements & Honours (As a Member of Exo)
- BreakTudo Awards for K-Pop Male Group in 2019
- Star of Korean Tourism (Government of South Korea) in 2019
- Guinness World Record for Most Daesang (“Grand Prize”) awards won at the Mnet Asian Music Awards in 2018
- Prime Minister’s Commendation (Government of South Korea) in 2017
- Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism Commendation (Government of South Korea) in 2014
- World Music Award for World’s Best Selling Korean Artists in 2014
- MTV Europe Music Awards for Best Korean Act in 2013
Gaon Chart Music Awards
- Album of the Year (Daesang- 1st Quarter) for ‘Exodus’ in 2016
- Album of the Year (Daesang- 2nd Quarter) for ‘Overdose’ in 2015, ‘Love Me Right’ in 2016, ‘Ex’act’ in 2017
- Album of the Year (Daesang- 3rd Quarter) for ‘XOXO’ in 2014, ‘Lotto’ in 2017
- Album of the Year (Daesang- 3rd Quarter) for ‘Miracles in December’ in 2014, ‘Sing for You’ in 2016, ‘Don’t Mess Up My Tempo’ in 2018 & ‘Obsession’ in 2020
Golden Disc Awards
- Newcomer Award (Exo-K) in 2013
- Disc Daesang for the albums ‘XOXO’ in 2014, ‘Overdose’ in 2014, ‘Exodus’ in 2016 & ‘Ex’Act’ in 2017
- Disc Bonsang for the albums ‘XOXO’ in 2014, ‘Overdose’ in 2014, ‘Exodus’ in 2016, ‘Ex’Act’ in 2017, ‘The War’ in 2018 & ‘Don’t Mess Up My Tempo’ in 2019
Melon Music Awards
- Song of the Year (Daesang) for “Growl” in 2014
- Album of the Year (Daesang) for “Exodus” in 2015
- Artist of the Year (Daesang ) in 2016 & 2017
Mnet Asian Music Awards
- Best New Asian Artist in 2012
- Artist of the Year Daesang in 2014
- Album of the Year Daesang for ‘XOXO’ in 2013, ‘Overdose’ in 2014, ‘Exodus’ in 2015, ‘Ex’Act in 2016, ‘War’ in 2017
- Best Male Group in 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
Seoul Music Awards
- New Artist Award in 2013
- Bongsang in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- Daesang in 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017
Japan Gold Disc Awards
- New Artists of the Year (Asian) in 2016
- Best 3 New Artists in 2016
Top Chinese Music Awards
- Best Overseas Group in 2016
- Best Popular Overseas Group in 2016
- Best Group in 2013
SBS Gayo Daejon
- Top Ten Artists in 2014
- Best Male Group in 2014
- Best Album for ‘Overdose’ in 2014
Note: Apart from the awards mentions above, Exo has received other awards and nominations.
Awards & Achievements (As a Solo Artist)
- 7th Yegreen Musical Awards for Popularity (Male Actor) for ‘The Man Who Laughs’ in 2019
- Asia Culture Awards for Male Rookie Award for the ‘The Man Who Laughs’ in 2019
- 13th DIMF Awards – DIMF PR Ambassador in 2019
- JIMFF Awards for Discovery of the Year- Male Actor for ‘Middle School Girl A’ in 2019
- 4th International Film Festival & Awards Macao – Token of Appreciation in 2019
In 2018, Suho landed himself in trouble when he made the comment ‘It’s weird. People will think I’m a mentally ill patient’ during Sehun’s Instagram live session when the latter asked Suho to pose with him for session. After the incident, some of the fans took to their Twitter and YouTube accounts and expressed their dismay that he should have been careful of his words and that he had hurt the fans who suffer from mental illness. They also trended the hashtag #엑소_수호_비하발언_사과해, which translates to ‘Exo’s Suho apologize for your discriminatory comments.’ SBS Popasia
- Painter: Vincent van Gogh
- Band: Coldplay
- Music Genre: Rock
- Season: Spring
- Travel Destinations: Paris, Italy
- Sport: Golf
- He likes travelling, watching Netflix, playing sports like basketball and golf.
- Suho is also a lyricist and writes under the name ‘SH2O.’
- He has earned the title ‘Type to get a meet-the-parents free pass’ which means, when you meet your bride-to-be’s parents for the first time, seeing you they immediately call you ‘Our Son-in-Law.’ In an interview, he told that he got that title along with BTS’s Jin and Shinee’s Minho and loved the title the most. Soompi
- During his school days, he was nicknamed ‘Eom-chin-ah’ which translates to ‘son of mother’s friend.’ The term is a Korean word used for a male student who is academically successful and target of envy amongst the people. During his school days, Suho came in one of the top 10 students of his class and was very good at studies. He liked literature and Korean language during his school days.
- Once, his junior-senior high dancing club organized a dance contest at Olympic Park, Seoul; he was an audience. He was spotted by an SM staff who recommended him to join their company. When he reached the third year of his senior high, he gave auditions for SM and was selected.
- In 2015, he appeared on the show “Fluttering India/Exciting India ” (2015) as ‘himself.’ The show featured some of the biggest K-pop stars who turned reporters and explored various places in Mumbai. The show was aired on KBS Channel.
- Exo was listed in Forbes Korea’s Power Celebrity from 2014 to 2019.
- His Instagram profile mentions ‘Su Hwak Haeng’- which means ‘the guaranteed happiness that comes from small/trivial things.’ Suho believes in the idea of ‘Su Hwak Haeng.’
- His album ‘Self-Portrait’ features five portraits of him. Suho also drew a self-portrait that became trending on Twitter.
- Once he got the names of all the seven members of Exo and Exo-L inked on his back. Once he also got Exo inked on the side of his neck. Interestingly, both the tattoos were temporary.