Choi Woo-shik (Also spelt as Choi Woo-sik/ Woo-sik Choi) is a South Korean-Canadian actor and singer who gained international recognition for his portrayal of ‘Yong-sik’ in the film “Train to Busan” (2016) and ‘Kim Ki-woo’ in the film “Parasite” (2019).
Choi Woo-shik was born on Monday, 26 March 1990 (age 30 years; as in 2020) in Seoul, South Korea. His zodiac sign is Aries. His English name is ‘Edward,’ and his friends and family members call him ‘Eddie’ with love. At the age of ten, when he was in grade five, his family immigrated to Vancouver in Canada, and he did his schooling from Pinetree Secondary School in Coquitlam, Canada. He attended the Simon Fraser University (SFU) in Burnaby, Canada to pursue his arts degree. In 2011, at the age of 21, he dropped out of SFU and came to Korea to pursue acting. He did his Major in Cultural Studies from Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea.
Height: 6′ Soop Management – Artist Profile
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Brown
Family, Ethnicity & Girlfriend
Not much is known about his family. He has an elder brother, and his family is living in Canada. He was once rumoured to be in a relationship with the South Korean actor Park Seo-joon. He later cleared the rumour that Seo-joon was his friend.
- JYP Entertainment (October 2012-October 2018)
- Management SOOP (November 2018-Present)
He made his acting debut with MBCs K-drama “The Duo” (2011) as young ‘Gwi-dong.’
He appeared in supporting roles in many popular K-dramas including Living in Style (2011), Special Affairs Team TEN (2011), Rooftop Prince (2012), Special Affairs Team TEN Season 2 (2012), You Are My Destiny (2014), and Pride and Prejudice (2014). He appeared for the first time in a lead role in the drama “Hogu’s Love” (2015) and appeared as leading characters in the dramas, My Fantastic Funeral (2017) and Fight for My Way (2017).
He has participated in the reality-variety shows, Beating Hearts (2013-14) and Law of the Jungle in Nicaragua (2015).
In 2011, he acted in a short film titled “Etude Solo.”
He made his big-screen debut with the film “Secretly, Greatly” (2013) as ‘Yoon Yoo-joon.’
He bagged his first lead role (Young-Jae) in the film “Set Me Free” (2014).
He earned international recognition with “Train to Busan” (2016). The film premiered at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. He has acted in many hit South Korean films including, In the Room (2015), Okja (2017), The Witch: Part 1. The Subversion (2018), Parasite (2019), and The Divine Fury (2019).
He has appeared in music videos of many K-pop songs such as ‘My Old Story’ by IU, ‘Congratulations’ by Day 6, and ‘That Moment’ by Im Seulong.
Apart from acting, he is also a good singer and has sung the OST of drama ‘The Boy Next Door’ (2017) titled ‘Some Guys.’
Awards & Achievements
- Screen Actors Guild Awards for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture for the film “Parasite” in 2020
- Blue Dragon Film Awards for Best New Actor for the film “Set Me Free” in 2015
- Korean Association of Film Critics Awards for Best New Actor for the film “Set Me Free” in 2015
- Busan Film Critics Awards for Best New Actor for the film “Set Me Free” in 2015
- Busan International Film Festival- Actor of the Year for the film “Set Me Free” in 2014
Note: Apart from the awards mentioned above, he has received other awards and nominations.
- Choi likes playing video games, hiking, surfing, skiing, snowboarding.
- When he was 10 years old, his family shifted to Vancouver in Canada. During his initial days in Vancouver, he was outcasted in his school, which made him less sociable. Talking about it, he says,
One day, I brought my rice and kimchi and side dishes because I didn’t know, and I just brought a whole bunch of food with me, and then they were like, ‘Oh, what’s that smell? They were like, ‘Oh, that’s the new guy from Korea, but he smells.’ So they didn’t come and talk to me.”
- In his high school, he made fourteen best friends, all Koreans, who helped him become a sociable person. He calls his friend FF14 (Friend Forever 14). Talking about them, he says,
They’re really reliable. I can really talk about stuff with them.”
- Choi wanted to become an actor and gave online auditions to become an actor in Korea. Later, he begged his parents to let him give auditions in Korea in person. At first, his parents didn’t agree, but finally, they lent him money to go to Korea.
- Cho Woo-shik is a best friend to the actor Park Seo-joon, singer Peakboy, and singer V (of BTS). They all are often seen hanging out together.
- He has also sung the OST of the internationally acclaimed film “Parasite” (2019) titled ‘A Glass of Soju.’ The song was shortlisted for the Best Original Song at the 2020 Oscars. Hollywood Reporter
- He loves animals and has a pet dog named Choco.
- He is a big fan of the Canadian Singer and Rapper, Drake.
- He played the role of Kim Ki-woo’ in the film “Parasite” (2019), which won Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival in 2019, and the Academy Award for Best Picture in 2020.
- In an interview, Choi Woo-shik talking about his drinking habits, said, Allkpop
My tolerance is one and half bottles of Soju. I like the atmosphere, but I can’t drink that well. I get happy when I drink about one and half bottles.”
References [ + ]