Maya Ali is a Pakistani actress and model who works in both Pakistani television and films.
Maya Ali was born as ‘Maryam Tanveer Ali’ on Thursday, 27 July 1989 (age 30 years; as in 2019) in the Lahore City of Punjab, Pakistan. Her zodiac sign is Leo.
She did her Masters in Mass Communication from Queen Mary College, Lahore.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: Newborn Gray
Hair Colour: Brown
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Maya Ali belongs to a Muslim family. Her mother’s name is Shagufta Nazar. Her father died in 2016.
She has two younger brothers named Afnan Qureshi and Saqlain Hayder.
She was rumoured to be married to the actor, Osman Khalid Butt.
Her name has also been linked with the actor, Sheheryar Munawar.
Maya Ali started her career as a journalist with a newspaper and advanced to VJ with Samaa TV and went on to work at Waqt News and Dunya News.
She made her acting debut with the Pakistani TV serial “Durr-e-Shahwar” (2012) in which, she played the role of ‘Mahnoor Sami.’
Maya’s first serial in the lead role was with Geo TV’s “Aik Nayee Cinderella” (2012-2013) in which, she was seen as ‘Meesha/Cinderella.’
She did many hit Pakistani serials such as Aunn Zara (2013), Khoya Khoya Chand (2013), Shanakht (2014), Zid (2014–2015), Mera Naam Yousuf Hai (2015), Mann Mayal (2016), and Sanam (2016-2017). She made her film debut as an actor with the 2018 Pakistani film “Teefa in Trouble” as ‘Anya.’ The film marked the Pakistani film debut of Ali Zafar and was a huge commercial in Pakistan. It is also the first non-Indian film, which was distributed internationally by Yash Raj Films.
She then appeared in the Pakistani film “Parey Hut Love” (2019) as ‘Saniya.’ Reportedly, Maya was slated to make her Bollywood debut with Akshay Kumar‘s film “Ikka,” which is a remake of the Tamil film “Kaththi” (2014).
Maya Ali has walked the ramp for many designers including Nomi Ansari and Mohsin Naveed Ranjha.
She has endorsed the brands like Lux, Qmobile, Diva body spray, Royal Fan and was also the brand ambassador of Quetta Gladiators in the 2018 Pakistan Super League.
- In October 2018, Maya posted a photo of her makeup artist, Adnan Ansari, and her sipping tea from the same cup, which sparked controversy amongst her fan on social media. After facing criticism from her fans, she had to delete the photo.
- In an interview with BBC Asian Network, Maya Ali revealed that her family had disapproved her decision to become an actress. She shared her experience of those times and summed it up with a message for parents to support the dreams of their children. However, this did not go well with the audience, and they slammed her for giving her career more importance than her family.
Awards & Achievements
- Lux Style Awards for Best Actress Drama (Jury) for the drama “Mann Mayal” in 2017
Galaxy Lollywood Awards
- Best Female Debut for the film “Teefa in Trouble” in 2019
- Best Onscreen Couple (shared with Ali Zafar) for the film “Teefa in Trouble” in 2019
- Best Onscreen Couple (Jury) – shared with Osman Khalid Butt- for the drama “Diyar-e-Dil” in 2016
- Best Drama Actress (Popular) for the drama “Diyar-e-Dil” in 2016
- Food: Aloo ka Paratha, Pizza, Biryani
- Restaurant: The Monal in Islamabad
- Actor(s): Ranveer Singh, Sheheryar Munawar
- Actress: Mahira Khan
- Director(s): Karan Johar, Asim Raza
- Films: Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), 27 Dresses (2008)
- Politician: Imran Khan
- Colour(s): Henna Green, Red
- Book: The Forty Rules of Love by Elif Shafak
- Fictional Character: Thor
- Travel Destination(s): London, Paris
- Maya Ali likes reading books, watching films and shows, and travelling.
- She is more popular with her pseudonym ‘Maya.’
- Maya was interested in sports since her childhood. She was good at sports and represented her school’s team in sports like Basketball, Cricket, Hockey, Tennis, and Badminton. In an interview, she revealed that she wanted to make her career in sports but due to the lack of family support in her life, she had to quit her dream.
- She started her career as a VJ while pursuing her MMC (Master of Mass Communication). Within a year, she was offered to act in a drama. She didn’t tell her family about it and completed that shoot within 20-days. When her father came to know about this, he stopped talking to her and didn’t talk to her for almost eight years. About six months prior to her father’s death, their relation improved.
- She is the brand ambassador of Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, Lahore.
- She has also campaigned against Breast Cancer and visited various institutions including college and universities to raise awareness about the disease.