Kokilaben Ambani was the wife of Dhirubhai Ambani, an Indian Business tycoon and founder of the Reliance Industries. So, who is Kokilaben and how did her inclusion in Dhirubhai Ambani’s life change his fortunes? Let’s find out some interesting facts about her, her relationship with Dhirubhai and the net worth of this power couple.
Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani was born as Kokilaben Patel on 24 February 1934 (aged 84; as in 2018) in Nawanagar State, British India (now Jamnagar, Gujarat, India). She was born into a conservative yet supportive Gujarati family. She was born and raised during the time when Indian women still had restrictions and could not study. However, her family, especially her father, knew the importance of education in the intellectual growth of an individual and self-improvement; therefore, he held back Kokilaben and her siblings from receiving the education. She did her matriculation (10th standard) from Sajuba Girls’ High School in Jamnagar. At the age of 21, she got married to a businessman, Dhirubhai Ambani and moved to Mumbai.
During the initial phase of their married life, Dhirubhai used to travel alone to Aden, Yemen for work purpose. After stabilising his career in Aden, he called Kolilaben over there; where she gave birth to their first child, Mukesh Ambani. Later, the couple returned to Mumbai and extended their family with Anil, Deepti, and Nina.
Family, Husband & Caste
Kokilaben was born in a middle-class Gujarati Patidar family. Her father, Ratilal Jashraj Patel, was a Telegraph Office employee, and her mother, Rukshmaniben, was a homemaker. She has 4 siblings – 2 brothers and 2 sisters.
She was married to business tycoon Dhirubhai Ambani in 1955.
The couple was blessed with 2 sons – Mukesh Ambani, Anil Ambani, and 2 daughters – Nina, Deepti.
And, from Anil Ambani’s side include- Jai Anshul Ambani and Jai Anmol Ambani.
Her net worth is around $2.9 billion or ₹18000 crore (as in 2002).
- She has always been fond of travelling and her favourite holiday spots include Switzerland and London.
- She likes to wear pink sarees.
- Her favourite fashion designers include- Abu Jani-Sandeep Khosla and Sabyasachi Mukherjee.
- When she first came to Mumbai with Dhirubhai, the couple initially used to stay at a 2-BHK chawl near Babulnath Temple in Chowpatty.
- She mainly resides in Antilla with her elder son, Mukesh Ambani.
- Dhirubhai hired an English teacher for her; as he wanted to groom her for public interactions.
- She is a devotee of Lord Krishna and frequently visits Dwarkadhish Temple in Jamnagar and Shrinathji Temple in Nathdwara. Moreover, she also arranges Hindu Kathas by spiritual leader, Ramesh Bhai Oza.TOI
- In 2009, she laid the foundation of Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital in Mumbai. The hospital under her name also has branches in Rajkot, Surat, Gondia, Akola and Sholapur.
- In March 2016, she received Padma Vibhushan conferred on her husband.