Shaktikanta Das is a retired IAS officer of Tamil Nadu Cadre. He has been one of the most prominent bureaucrats in the Ministry of Finance. Mr. Das has diverse experience in formulating financial policies; as he has served the Government of India for more than three decades, especially in the Ministry of Finance and the Department of Economic Affairs. In December 2018, Shaktikanta Das became a household name when he was appointed the 25th Governor of Reserve Bank of India (RBI). Let’s delve into details about Shaktikanta Das’s family, career, controversies, and more.
Shaktikanta Das was born into a modest family of Bhubaneshwar, Odisha on 26 February 1957 (aged 61; as in 2018). He is an alumnus of Demonstration Multipurpose School, Bhubaneswar. He was considered a brilliant student throughout his student life.
After completing his schooling from Odisha, he moved to Delhi; where he pursued his graduation and post graduation in History from the St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi.
Family & Caste
There is not much information about his family. His marital status is also not available.
Education & Career
Shaktikanta Das has more than three decades of experience as an IAS Officer. After passing the Civil Services Examination, Shaktikanta Das’ first posting was as an Assistant Collector in 1982. Thereafter, he went on serving the Government of India in various capacities including- Secretary in the Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers (2013-14), Secretary in the Ministry of Finance Department of Revenue (2014-15), and Secretary in the Ministry of Finance Department of Economic Affairs (2015-2017). Even after his retirement from the IAS in 2017, he was appointed as a member of the 15th Finance Commission. On 11 December 2018, he was appointed the 25th Governor of Reserve Bank of India; after the resignation of Urjit Patel.
- Secretary Industries Department (2006)
- Special Commissioner Additional Secretary Revenue (2007-08)
- Joint Secretary Ministry of Finance Department of Expenditure (2008-09)
- Joint Secretary Ministry of Finance Department of Economic Affairs (2009-11)
- Additional Secretary Ministry of Finance Department of Economic Affairs (2011-13)
- Special Secretary Ministry of Finance Department of Economic Affairs (2013)
- Secretary Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers (2013-14)
- Secretary Ministry of Finance Department of Revenue (2014-15)
- Secretary Ministry of Finance Department of Economic Affairs (2015-2017)
- A Member of the Fifteenth Finance Commission (2017)
- Governor of Reserve Bank of India (appointed on 11 December 2018)
- His appointment as the Governor of RBI was criticized by many on the pretext of his educational qualification; that being a student of History how he would deal with the financial policies.
- In 2016, he was criticised for his alleged involvement in the allotment of land to the U. S. firm Sanmina SCI Corporation at a concessional price in 2007, while he was serving in the Tamil Nadu state government.
- Shaktikanta Das knows multiple languages including Odiya, Tamil, Hindi, and English.
- He has more than three decades of experience as an IAS officer.
- He was appointed as India’s Sherpa to the G20 summit, held in Hamburg in July 2017.
- Even though he was a student of History, he has dealt mainly with economics and finance throughout his career.
- He launched the new Indian currency notes along with Urjit Patel; after the demonetisation of ₹500 and ₹1000 currency notes.
- His hobbies include reading and writing.