Koel Purie Rinchet is a well-known Indian actress, film producer, and TV host. She is popular for being the daughter of Aroon Purie, a well-known Indian businessman and editor-in-chief of India Today, an Indian English-language news magazine.
Koel Purie Rinchet India Today was born on Saturday, 25 November 1978 (age 45 years; as of 2023) in Delhi, India. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She has completed her school education at Modern School, New Delhi. Soon after completing her school education, she went to York University to earn a bachelor’s degree in politics, philosophy, and economics. Later, Koel Purie earned a Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) degree at The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art a drama school in London, England. The Telegraph
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Figure Measurements (approx.): 33-26-34
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Aroon Purie, is a renowned Indian media tycoon. Her mother’s name is Rekha Purie.
Koel Purie has a brother named Ankoor Purie, and a sister named Kalli Purie. They are both into journalism.
Husband & Children
On 14 February 2009, Koel Purie got married to Laurent Rinchet, a senior director in the space aviation sector.
The couple has a daughter.
The well-known Indian journalist ‘Madhu Trehan’ is her paternal aunt.
In 2006, Koel Purie was dating a Londoner named George. Later, she was in a relationship with Laurent Rinchet before getting married to him in 2009.
I am not religious. I refuse to be put into a box of any kind.”
Koel Purie believes that travelling to different countries has made her more open to different ideas, especially about religion. She once spoke in a media conversation about being worried about the young Indian generation who were becoming divided based on their beliefs. The Telegraph She mentioned,
I consciously want to avoid that. I am very happy to celebrate my roots as a Punjabi and say this is what my culture and my language have given me, but I have no desire to be put into a box.”
Koel Purie Rinchet worked as a host on various Indian television shows like “Great Escape” on Star Plus and “Aaj Ki Naari” on DD Metro in 1998. After that, she became a newsreader for a special show about India’s elections on the Indian news channel India Today.
Koel Purie started her acting career in 2001 with the Indo-American movie “Everybody Says I’m Fine!” in which she worked with the Indian actor Rahul Bose. In 2004, she appeared in the movie “Road to Ladakh” with the late Indian actor Irrfan Khan. In the same year, she acted in a movie titled “American Daylight” and was part of a BBC drama-documentary titled “Dirty War.”
Koel Purie then appeared in more than 20 movies including White Noise (2005), Mera Dil Leke Dekho (2006), The Lookalike (2006), Rock On! (2008), 10ml LOVE (2012), and The Zoya Factor (2019). These movies were made in India, the United Kingdom, and Canada. Koel Purie Rinchet resumed her acting career in 2023 with the movie “The Archies,” which was directed by Zoya Akhtar. Koel Purie played the role of Khushi Kapoor’s on-screen mother in the movie. The film featured Suhana Khan, Agastya Nanda, and Khushi Kapoor.
In 2003, Koel Purie Rinchet marked her television debut in the first episode of ‘The Vice’ in which she played the role of WPC Charlie Carter, and in the same year, she worked in the television show ‘Indian Dream’ as Neeraj. In 2005, she was cast in the show ‘The Afternoon Play’ in which she played the character of Sonia Bhose in its first episode “Reverse Psychology.” In 2006, she appeared in Losing Gemma as Coral. In 2008, she worked in the television series ‘Fairy Tales’ in which she played the role of Shekeelia in its first episode titled “The Empress’s New Clothes.”
After that, Koel Purie Rinchet played the role of Desdemona in a street performance held at Leicester Haymarket in London. She then appeared in another play titled “A Taste for Mangoes,” which was based on a book titled “White Mughals” written by Willian Dalrymple.
In 1999, she assisted Deepa Mehta in making the movie “Earth.” In 2013, Koel Purie Rinchet produced and presented a television show titled “On The Couch With Koel” on the Indian news channel Headlines Today. Many prominent celebrities from all around the world appeared on her show. These celebrities included actors, directors, musicians, writers, sports stars, politicians, and popular news figures. Some of the guests were James Cameron, Amitabh Bachchan, Lady Gaga, Salman Rushdie, and Pervez Musharraf.
While in Tokyo, Koel Purie Rinchet was appointed by the Japanese government as their tourism ambassador. She appeared as a model in many videos and promoted Japanese tourism. Later, she moved to Paris and began her own company that makes movies, digital things, and videos for different online platforms.
Koel Purie Rinchet is a skilled writer. She frequently writes articles for well-known Indian magazines and newspapers like Cosmopolitan, DNA, Harper’s Bazaar, and India Today.
In August 2023, Koel Purie Rinchet released her debut novel titled ‘Clearly Invisible in Paris.’
In 2013, Koel Purie was the recipient of the ITA Award for Best Anchor – Talk/Chat Show for the television show “On The Couch With Koel.”
- Books: Midnight Children and The Last Song of Dusk
- Colour: Red
- Koel Purie enjoys wearing bikinis, even though she does not usually show them on TV. She often flaunts her bikini shoots on various social media platforms. According to her, in 2008, during the making of the movie “Rock On,” her friends noticed that she always had a bikini with her wherever she travelled. Once, while filming by a pool during “Rock On,” her co-star Farhan Akhtar dared her to jump in. She did not hesitate and put on her bikini and jumped right in. The Times of India
- Koel Purie Rinchet likes the colour red. She has a red-themed apartment, and her coat, clothes, sofa, and suitcases are all red in colour.
- During her free time, Koel Purie Rinchet enjoys travelling to various countries. She also likes to read books when she is not busy. Once, in a talk with the media, she mentioned her favourite books like Salman Rushdie’s “Midnight’s Children” and “The Last Song of Dusk” by Siddharth Sanghvi. She said during the conversation that she enjoyed these books so much that after finishing them, she started reading them again.
- Koel Purie likes staying fit. She practices yoga every day and often posts pictures of her yoga sessions on social media.
- Once, during an interview with a media house, Koel Purie Rinchet talked about her time in school and university. She mentioned that she did not focus much on her studies during her university days. Koel Purie said,
Delhi’s Modern School — “Full of ruffians, no discipline, academic side zero”; York University (to read politics, philosophy and economics).”
- Koel Purie is often spotted consuming alcoholic beverages on various occasions.
- In August 2023, at her debut book launch event, Indian actress Suhana Khan mentioned that Koel had always inspired her. Suhana said,
I learnt that Koel is into writing plays and in our breaks, and on sets, she would be writing a play and making her own stuff. And that is so inspiring.”
While talking in the same conversation, Koel Purie discussed her writing skills. Koel mentioned,
I was born a storyteller, and I am a middle child so I am an attention-seeker as well. The reason why I did not write a book earlier, was that writing a book required a lot of discipline. (It was) Not the lack of character development, storytelling, or writing – just the lack of discipline that comes with age and experience.”
- Koel Purie is a compassionate animal lover. She has a pet dog, and she often shares pictures of her pet on social media.