‘Jagsharanjit Singh Ahluwalia,’ known as JJ Valaya was born on Saturday, 8 October 1967 (age 55 years; as of 2022) in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India. His zodiac sign is Libra. Valaya’s childhood went on in traveling due to his father’s postings in the Indian Army. He did his schooling at Yadvindra Public School in Mohali. Later, he gained a graduate degree in commerce from S.D. College in Chandigarh. In 1987, he planned to pursue a chartered accountancy articleship. However, in 1991, he studied fashion design and received a bachelor’s degree from the National Institute of Fashion Technology in New Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 75kg
Hair Colour: Salt & pepper
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
JJ Valaya belongs to a Sikh family with an Army background.
Parents & Siblings
JJ Valaya’s father is Jagjit Singh Ahluwalia, a retired Brigadier and his mother is Raj, who specialized in children’s apparel and embroidered party gowns. He has two brothers, both served in the military and left it before their serving time was over.
Wife & Children
JJ Valaya is married to Meghna Valaya from Jalandhar. The couple was blessed with two daughters, Hoorvi and Someya.
JJ Valaya started his career under the andragogy of Rohit Khosla before he started his own label. In 1992, he raised his own luxury fashion brand ‘The House of Valaya’ along with his brother Tribhavan Jit Singh. His creations often combine traditional Indian Craftsmanship with modern aesthetics, showcasing intricate embroidery, rich fabrics, and cultural influences. Valaya’s creative vision and his brother’s organizational powers are largely responsible for the development of Valaya as a luxury brand. By launching his pret line in 2003, he started selling fashion and lifestyle products under the names JJ Valaya, Studio Valaya, and Valaya Home-Life. The company offers ready-to-wear, home goods, and couture. Valaya introduced the ‘Diasun,’ a pattern consisting of two inverted ‘V’s and the sun emblem from the JJ Valaya crest, which currently appears on every garment produced by the label in some fashion to prevent plagiarism and imitations. Some of his most renowned collections include;
Valaya’s ALIKA line was widely applauded on many occasions in Dubai in 2010. The storyteller in him found expression in this collection, in which he narrated the story of India’s royal courts’ female musicians and their passionate encounters with the princes of the kingdom. Alika, his winter collection, featured wonderfully crafted jalabiyas, kaftan saris, and anarkali-churidars. Valaya has used his couture pieces to express stories that he finds fascinating. That could be one of the reasons for his interest in India’s royal past. His famous Alika Jacket debuted in this collection as well.
TASVEER, Valaya’s Winter/Festive collection at Lakme Fashion Week in 2011, earned great reviews. Valaya’s twin hobbies, photography, and fashion, were blended into this collection. The series was inspired by the progression of photography from black & white to sepia to hand-stained, natural, and digitized photos. It was a color trip told through clothing. There were also roughly ten menswear ensembles, which featured sherwanis, bandhgalas, breeches, and Nehru jackets.
The collection AZRAK from Wills India Fashion Week Valaya in 2012 stayed loyal to its theme of the unusual and common. The Ottoman Empire of Turkey and West Asia served as inspiration for the collection. His creations merged Western and Indian silhouettes, traditional motifs, modern draperies, and feminine forms with minimalism and grandeur. The products on show included saris, jackets, anarkalis, breeches, blouses, and gowns. In a lovely white gown, traditional Indian jewelry, and a spectacular brocade Maharaja coat, Kangana Ranaut looked stunning. Twelve models walked the runway for the designer, including well-known names like Suneet Verma, Rohit Bal, Navtej Johar, Jamie Stewart, Sumant Jayakrishnan, and Navin Ansal.
JJ Valaya has continued to serve the fashion industry with his fresh collections. He launched his “BARODA” collection in 2023.
JJ Valaya accuses the label of ripping off his design
Awards & Achievements
- In 1998, JJ Valaya was honored as founder and board member of the Governing Council of the Fashion Design Council of India.
- He received the Prix D incitation in Paris, as well as the Thapar-Dupont Medal, The Elyxa Award, and the KLM NIFT Trophy.
JJ Valaya’s net worth is $4 million.
- Color: Red
- Valaya employed over 250 embroidered workers and craftsmen in his 40,000-square-foot headquarters in Delhi.
- He is one of the most well-known names in the Indian bridal trousseau market and was one of the first Indian labels to invest in sampling, research, and development at their “House of Valaya” location in Manesar, on the outskirts of Delhi.
- His designs are worn by many celebrities in India and aboard including Hrithik Roshan, Kareena Kapoor, Joseph Fiennes, and Cate Blanchett.
- JJ Valaya is Swarovski’s first official brand ambassador in India.
- JJ Valaya was the first Indian design firm to hold a solo exhibition in India in 1993. Between 1993 and 1995, the JJ Valaya label was available at a number of upmarket stores in India and abroad. Also appears in London, Dubai, Singapore, Bangkok, and other major Indian cities.
- JJ Valaya’s second worldwide flagship store opens in San Francisco and he has been named the final designer for Ukraine Fashion Week in Kiev.