Archana Kochhar is an Indian fashion designer and couturier. She is considered one of the most successful Indian fashion designers and is known for her unique embroideries and modern-texturizing techniques.
Archana Kochhar was born on Tuesday, 29 August 1972 (age 50 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. Archana Kochhar holds an MBA degree. She runs a luxury fashion brand titled Archana Kochhar whose flagship store is based in Juhu, Mumbai. When Archana was 16 years old, she organized her own clothes exhibition for the first time.
When I was 16, I did an exhibition for which I hired a 1,000 square feet hall. I was younger then and thought everything is possible. It worked. I sold pieces and made money out of it. That was my foundation stone. People accepted my designs. When we see the world appreciate our art, it encourages us.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about her parents and siblings.
Husband & Children
Archana was 20 years old when she got married to Rajiv Kochhar. They have a daughter, Simran Kochhar, who graduated from the University of California Berkeley in 2020. Simran Kochhar is a Business Development & Marketing Associate at Archana Kochhar (Archana’s brand). LinkedIn – Simran Kochchar
Fashion store address
20, Swastik Plaza, Next To Kala Niketan, Vaikunthlal Mehta Rd, JVPD Scheme, Vile Parle West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400049
Archana initiated her career as a wedding couturier and worked in a rented shop in Mumbai. During that time, she had only womenswear collections. Archana claimed fame by designing and displaying her collections of lehengas, saris, gowns, dresses, and anarkalis at many popular fashion week shows like Lakmé to New York Fashion Week.
Archana Kochhar has dressed celebrities for the Cannes Film Festival and received an invitation from the biggest shopping centre in Paris, Galeries Lafayette, to showcase her couture collections alongside international brands like Armani, Versace, Prada, and Gucci. Various famous Indian celebrities including Shah Rukh Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Jeetendra, Shaan, Falguni Pathak, and Prabhu Deva have promoted Archana Kochhar’s collection during various fashion runways, award functions, and private events.
In 2021, Archana teamed up with a brand called Snugkins and designed India’s first-ever designer cloth diapers for babies.
The Warli Tribe Campaign
In 2015, Archana Kochhar worked for a collection named ‘Ahimsa Resam,’ promoting the ‘Make in India’ campaign which was initiated by Narendra Modi. She launched Ahimsa Resam with the objective to generate employment in the weaving community for women’s empowerment at Indian Affairs’ 6th Annual India Leadership Conclave 2015 in Mumbai. The award-winning designer actively worked with the tribal women weavers from Jharkhand on the ‘Ahimsa silk’ fabric. The collection ‘The Warli Tribe’ was inspired by the primal stick-figure art of the Warli tribes in Maharashtra.
The Banjara Tribe Campaign
In 2016, she showcased the ‘Banjara’ style collection at the New York Fashion Week, which was inspired by a nomadic tribe, Banjara, from Southern India to raise awareness about the tribe’s culture.
The Global Disability Inclusion Campaign
During the 2016 Global Disability Inclusion Campaign at the New York Fashion Week, Archana Kochhar promoted the ‘Bring Beauty Back’ movement with the acid attack survivor Reshma Qureshi.
In 2018, the Global Disability Inclusion Campaign aimed at giving people with disabilities the same opportunities as anyone else on the fashion playground. Archana Kochhar’s ‘The Ahimsa Collection’ showcased at the New York Fashion Week featured specially-abled women on the ramp, in the spirit of this campaign. Archana Kochhar
Trans Women Inclusion
Archana Kochhar Show at the Bombay Times Fashion Week in 2019
- Best designer of the year at the NBC Newsmakers Achievers Awards in 2014
- ‘Anokhi Excellence in Design’ award in Toronto, Canada in 2015
- ‘Fashion Designer of the Decade’ at India Leadership Conclave in 2015
- World Icon Award at Dubai in 2017 for her extraordinary designing abilities and contributions to the world of fashion
- Mission Muskan Award (2018-19) for Archana Kochhar’s significant support given to the underprivileged people
- Archana Kochhar is an educationalist and provides mentorship guest lectures at 11 colleges in Mumbai.
- Archana is an avid reader and writer, who writes for the Bombay Times regularly.
- During an interview once, Archana said that around the year 2010, she was among the first few to start the ‘saree-gown’ trend.
- In an interview, Archana once said that she liked the black-and-white combination more than the other colours.
- Archana is the goodwill ambassador for ‘Smile Foundation,’ an Indian social development organization, along with Virat Kohli and Vikas Khanna.
- Apart from designing, Aparna enjoys travelling and spending time with her pet dog, Joy.
- In an interview, while talking about the Silver Nite Fashion Show, Archana said that she viewed actress Malaika Arora as a fashion icon. India Today
- Archana Kochhar often shares the backend formation of the threads, used by her brand, on social media.
"Malwa Melange", a melody of authentic Indian handlooms and striking western elements.
This collection was presented at the Bombay Times Fashion Week, which comprised of Madhya Pradesh's royal handloom, totally sustainable & eco-friendly!#bts #archanaKochhar #ak #fashiondesigner pic.twitter.com/bIUCO2pKz5
— Archana Kochhar (@Archana_Kochhar) June 8, 2022