Upasana Kamineni is an Indian entrepreneur who is the Vice Chairperson of Apollo Life and the Editor-in-Chief of B Positive Magazine. She is the wife of the famous actor Ram Charan.
Upasana Kamineni Konidela (married name) was born on Thursday, 20 July 1989 (age 30 years; as in 2019) in Hyderabad. Her zodiac sign is Cancer.
She attained a degree in International Business Marketing & Management from Regent’s University, London.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Golden Brown (dyed)
Family, Caste & Husband
Upasana Kamineni’s mother, Shobana Kamineni is the President at Confederation of Indian Industry, and the Executive Vice-Chairperson of Apollo Hospitals. Her father, Anil Kamineni is the founder of KEI Group (a diversified logistics, leisure & infrastructure business). She has a brother named Puansh Kamineni, and a sister named Anushpala Kamineni.
Her maternal grandfather, Prathap C. Reddy is Padma Vibhushan recipient and founder of India’s first corporate health care, Apollo Hospitals. Preetha Reddy (Vice-Chairperson of Apollo Hospitals), Sangita Reddy (Joint Managing Director of Apollo Hospitals), and Suneeta Reddy (Director at Apollo Hospitals) are her maternal aunts.
She got married to Ram Charan on 14 June 2012 at the Temple Trees Farm House, Chennai.
She is the daughter-in-law of the famous South Indian actor Chiranjeevi.
Upasana is the Vice Chairperson of Apollo Foundation, which diagnoses, treats, and educates people in need of medical care. She is also the Vice-Chairperson of Apollo Life, which is a healthcare and wellness site, which provides information related to health, wellness, and fitness.
She is the owner and Editor-in-Chief of B Positive, a health and lifestyle magazine.
In 2016, rumours about her and Ram Charan getting divorced surfaced in public. Later, during an interview, Upasana cleared the rumours saying that she didn’t care about what everyone wrote about them and she and her husband loved each other.
Awards & Honours
- Mahatma Gandhi Award for Leadership in Corporate Social Responsibility in 2019
- Dadasaheb Phalke – Philanthropist of the Year award in 2019
- Food: Kachchi Biryani, Hyderabadi Biryani, Pucci Biryani of Awadh, Dum Pukht, Samosa
- Beverage: Tea
- TV Show: Shark Tank
- Animal: Horse
- Fashion Brand: Louis Vuitton
- Her nickname is ‘Upsi.’
- As a child, Upasana wanted to work with Apollo Hospitals. As a teen, she decided to become a fashion designer. Soon, Upasana realised that she was a better shopper than a designer and went back to her family business.
- Since her childhood, she had been an obese person. While talking about her obesity and weight loss story, she said-
I was huge as a child growing up in America! When I moved to London, I decided I had to complete a full round of Hyde Park, and also finish the London Marathon. In the bargain I wrecked my knees. So, the will was there but I wasn’t doing it right. I was 95 kg, so I decided to cut carbs completely. That didn’t work. So I cut out rice and wheat, and ate oats instead, and that worked so well for me. Then I added a bit of high protein. I walked to college instead of using my car, or a cab or the Tube.”
- Upasana was engaged in philanthropy from a very young age. When she was a student, she started a movement called ‘U Exchange,’ where she used to collect old textbooks and notebooks and give them to the children in the Naxal areas.
- She also launched JIYO app with Deepak Chopra, the Indian born American author and medical advocate. It is an app which tracks stress and wellness levels of an individual and sends them a ‘wellness prescription.’
- She is a close friend with designers Anamika Khanna, Abu Jani, Sandeep Khosla, and Tarun Tahiliani.
- Upasana and Tamannaah Bhatia are best friends. Seeing Tamannaah’s performance in “Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy,” Upasana gifted her a giant crystal ring.
- Charan and Upasana met through common friends at a sports club in London. They both became friends and their friendship developed in love. Later, they both decided to marry. She calls Charan ‘Mr. C’ with love.
- Charan is a famous actor and people considered Upasana to be unworthy of him as she was a fatty at the time of their marriage, which used to hurt her. However, she tried hard and managed to lose weight and became an inspiration for many.
- She likes animals and believes in loving and respecting them as humans.
- She owns more than 5 dogs.
- Upasana loves horses and has a horse named, Daisy. Daisy is a Falabella (a miniature breed of horse) and was gifted to her by Ram Charan after one month of their marriage.
- She is an adventure seeker and likes driving, horse riding, sea diving, playing polo, and watching films.
- In an interview, she confessed that had she not been in the healthcare business, she would have become a waitress and lived on an island by the beach.
- She also likes interior designing and has designed the interiors of one of the wellness centres that she has set up.