Stella Tennant was a British supermodel and fashion designer. She was awarded Model of the Year at the Scottish Fashion Awards Hall of Fame in 2012.
Stella Tennant was born on Thursday, 17 December 1970 (age 50 years; at the time of death) in London, England. Her zodiac sign is Sagittarius. She did her schooling from St. Leonards School for Girls, Scotland. Later, she attended Marlborough College in Wiltshire, England. She also studied sculpture at Winchester School of Art, England. Vogue She did a degree in Fine Arts from a college in London. Fashion Model
Eye Colour: Blue
Hair Colour: Brown
Family & Ethnicity
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Tobias William Tennant, and her mother’s name is Emma Tennant. She is the youngest among her siblings, Isabella Tennant and Edward Tennant.
Relationships, Husband & Children
While she was shooting for one of the modelling assignments in the 1990s, she met David Lasnet who was working as an assistant photographer in New York. They became friends, and soon, fell in love with each other. While they were dating, she gave birth to her first child Marcel, and after nine months of his birth, the couple got married in a private ceremony at small parish church of Oxnam on 22 June 1999 (Tuesday). Together, they have four children Marcel (first child), Cecily (second child), Jasmine (third child), and Iris (fourth child).
After a few years of her graduation, she submitted her passport size photos to fashion magazine editor Isabella Blow who was working with Plum Skyes at that time. While Stella was enjoying her summer holidays in the 1990s, Isabella booked her for a modelling assignment with the famous American photographer Steven Meisel. In December 1993, she featured for the first time as a model in British Vogue, a well-known fashion magazine.
Later, she worked with Bruce Weber and gained immense popularity as a model. She worked for many renowned fashion magazines like Harper’s Bazaar, Numéro, and the French, British and Italian editions of Vogue.
Soon, she became the face of Chanel, Calvin Klein and many other famous fashion brands. She was considered as the muse of the renowned fashion designers like Karl Lagerfeld, Gianni Versace, Alexander McQueen, and Victoria Beckham.
Stella and her sister had started a luxury homewares company ‘Tennant & Tennant’ in 2013. Stella and Lady Isabella Cawdor premiered a clothing collection for Holland & Holland in 2016.
Stella passed away on Tuesday, 22 December 2020, a few days after her 50th birthday. In a statement after her death, her family said,
It is with great sadness we announce the sudden death of Stella Tennant. Stella was a wonderful woman and an inspiration to us all. She will be greatly missed. Her family asks for their privacy to be respected.” Vogue
- After, completing her degree at the Winchester School of Art, she tried for modelling but did not get any response from modelling agencies. Later, she got an opportunity to work with British Vogue.
- In 1988, she announced her retirement after her first pregnancy, but soon after giving birth to her second child, she returned to modelling.
- In 1998, Stella Tennant was featured on Pirelli Calendar.
- In 2001, she won ‘Model of the Year’ title in the VH1 fashion awards.
- In 2009, she worked with the green lifestyle organisation ‘Global Cool’ to promote using less energy at home. Apart from this, she supported various campaigns for promoting the safeguard of the environment.
- She worked with many modelling agencies like DNA Model Management (New York), VIVA Model Management (Paris, London, Barcelona), and Mega Model Agency (Hamburg).
- She walked the ramp in the closing ceremony of the 2012 London Olympics along with Naomi Campbell and Kate Moss.
- In August 2014, she signed a letter to The Guardian, a British daily, along with 20 other celebrities with the hope that Scotland would remain a part of the United Kingdom in September’s referendum.
- Stella was featured on the cover of many renowned fashion magazines including Vogue UK (July 2015), Purple Fashion, Vogue UK (September 2017), The Sunday Times Style (October 2018), and Muse (September 2019).
- She walked the ramp for ace fashion shows like ‘Autumn/Winter- (Paris) Chanel’ in 2013, ‘Cruise – (Singapore City) Chanel’ in 2014, ‘Spring/Summer – (Milan) Salvatore Ferragamo’ in 2019, and ‘Spring/Summer – (Paris) Alexander McQueen, Valentino Couture, Saint Laurent’ in 2020.
- She owned a baby knitwear line “Tennant and Son.”
- She was ranked #27 in Channel 5’s “World’s greatest supermodel” in 2013.