Golshifteh Farahani is a well-known Iranian actress, singer, and musician. She played the character of ‘Shansa’ in the Hollywood film, ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,’ in 2017.
Golshifteh Farahani was born on Sunday, 10 July 1983 (age 36 years; as in 2019), in Tehran, Iran. Her zodiac sign is Cancer. She did her graduation from Islamic Azad University, Tehran. Wikipedia
IMDB Height: 5′ 6½”
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
She was born in an Islamic family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Behzad Farahani is a theatre director and actor. Her mother, Fahimeh Rahim Nia is an actress and painter. Her elder sister, Shaghayegh Farahani is an actress too. Her brother, Azarakhsh Farahani is an actor and music composer.
Relationships, Husband & Children
In 2003, she got married to the French director and producer, Amin Mahdavi. After eight years of their marriage, the couple got divorced in 2011.
Reportedly, she got married to the French actor, Louis Garrel in 2012, and their marriage lasted for only two years. IMDB
She was in a rumoured relationship with the actor and producer, Matthew Silver in 2015.
In the same year, she got married to the Australian somatic psychotherapist, Christos Dorje Walker, and after two years of their marriage, they got divorced.
At the age of 14, she debuted as an actor in the Iranian film, ‘Derakht e Golabie/The Pear Tree’ in 1998. She has received international reorganisation for her various films. Some of her films are ‘Deux fereshté/Two Angels’ (2003), ‘Bab’Aziz: Le prince qui contemplait son âme’ (2004), ‘To Each His Cinema’ (2007), ‘Santouri/The Music Man’ (2007), ‘Body of Lies’ (2008), ‘Chicken With Plums/Poulet Aux Prunes’ (2011), ‘The Patience Stone’ (2012), and ‘Arab Blues’ (2019).
She got immense popularity with her character ‘Shansa’ in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales’ (2017).
She acted in the Netflix web series, ‘Extraction’ (2020), in which she played the character of Nik Khan. She has acted in various theatre plays, like ‘Maryam and Mardavij’ (2003), ‘The Black Narcissus’ (2004), ‘A Private Dream’ (2013), and ‘Anna Karenina’ (2016). She has featured in the music videos like “Pola” (2014) and “Paradis” (2018).
- She was restricted in 2008, from leaving Iran and appearing in the Hollywood film, ‘Body of Lies’ starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Though, she managed to appear in the film.
- In 2012, she was banned from returning to her homeland after posing topless for the French magazine ‘Madame Le Figaro.’
- In 2012, she made another controversy after appearing nude in the film, “The Patience Stone.” Daily Mail
Awards & Honours
Fajr International Film Festival
1997: Best Actress (International Section) for Derakht e Golabie (The Pear Tree)
Three Continents Festival (Nantes, France)
2004: Prix d’ Interpretation Feminine for Boutique
Kazan International Film Festival
2008: Best Actress for Mim Mesle Madar (M for Mother)
Gijón International Film Festival
2012: Best Actress for The Patience Stone
Abu Dhabi Film Festival
2012: Best Actress for The Patience Stone
Note: She has many more accolades to her name.
- Her real name is Rahavard Farahani.
- She started learning music and piano at the age of 5, and later, she joined a music school in Tehran, Iran.
- She revealed in an interview that she had lived like a boy when she was a kid, she said,
I had a name for myself: Ameer. Every day I went to school with the scarf, came back and changed into a boy, and went out on the streets to play basketball and live like a boy. My whole life for me was this game. It was dangerous. Had they caught me, it would have been truly serious. My parents were really worried but they couldn’t control me. The funny thing is the one big reason I gave was that I wanted to ride a bicycle without getting whistled or stared at. I wanted to become invisible. I wanted to be looked at as a human being rather than as an object of desire.”
- In 2008, she exiled from her country Iran and then settled in Paris. In an interview, she said,
I was told by a ministry of culture and Islamic guide official that Iran does not need any actors or artists. You may offer your artistic services somewhere else.”
- She has been working for the environmental causes and is working as an advocate for the eradication of tuberculosis in Iran.
- Her hobbies include playing music and watching movies.
- She has featured on the cover of various renowned magazines.
- When she was in Iran, she joined Kooch Neshin (Nomads), a band that won the 2nd Tehran Avenue underground rock competition.
- After leaving Iran, she teamed up with another exiled Iranian musician, Mohsen Namjoo. They released their album ‘Oywas’ in October 2009.
- She was a member of the international jury at the 63rd Locarno Film Festival (2010).
- She stood 6th in the annual Independent Critics Beauty List of 2014.
References [ + ]