Shibani Kashyap is a singer and composer. She is best known for singing the songs “Sajna aa bhi jaa” and “Zinda hu main.” Reportedly, Shibani rose to fame after she sang the signature tune of the AIR FM channel of All India Radio in 1996. Facebook
Shibani Kashyap was born on Friday, 12 January 1979 (age 43 years; as of 2022) in Kashmir. She did her schooling at Delhi Public School, Delhi. She was born and brought up in Kashmir and graduated in English Literature from Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi. Her father was in the armed forces because of which their family had to move to different cities across the country. Shibani has lived in Banihal, Srinagar, Gulmarg, Dehradun, Pune, and Assam. YouTube
The first time Shibani realised that she should pursue music was when she was studying in school. She was a member of the school choir and was promoted to lead singer. She then started to represent her school at Inter-School vocal competitions. While studying at school, Shibani participated in the Vocal Music National Competition; earlier, Sonu Nigam and Sunidhi Chauhan had also participated in this competition. Shibani Kashyap won this competition thrice in a row under the junior category, sub-senior category, and senior category. The judge of the competition was the ghazal maestro Jagjeet Singh, who encouraged Shibani to pursue music as a career. She then participated in her first musical play titled Stepping Out. When she was studying in college, she participated in another musical titled ‘Cats’ by Andrew Lloyd Webber for which she underwent training for 6 months. Shibani Kashyap has recorded jingles for many popular brands including Amul India. She also recorded the jingle for Subah Savere, a television show on Doordarshan for which she earned the title of Jingle Queen. She has also composed songs promoting Save girl child, women empowerment, and acid attack. After the 26/11 attacks, she recorded an anti-terrorism song. She is also known for her ‘Unplugged’ live performances.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 60 kg
Hair Colour: Dark brown
Eye Colour: Light brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 36-30-36
Parents & Siblings
Her father has retired from Indian armed forces. Her mother’s name is Punam Kashyap, who is the Director of Education at the Delhi World Foundation. Instagram – Punam Kashyap. In an interview, Shibani said that she views her mother as a mentor. Shibani has a brother named Ashish Kashyap.
In 2013, Shibani Kashyap tied the knot with Rajiv Baldev Roda, who is a Bollywood actor.
Shibani is a follower of Nichiren Buddhism. In 2011, during an interview, while talking about her religious views, Shibani said,
I practise Buddhism. I took up chanting two years ago. My faith teaches me that the “revolution” begins within oneself. When you change yourself, things around you change too. This philosophy has polished my life and given me a chance to be a better person.”
In 2014, she collaborated with Mika Singh and released the song ‘Soneya.’
In 2003, she made her playback singing debut with the Hindi song “Sajna Aa Bhi Ja” from the film Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part II. She then lent her voice to many popular Hindi songs including “Zinda Hoon Main” from the film Zinda (2006), and “Kashmakash” from the film Sunday (2007).
In 2012, Shibani Kashyap sang the Urdu title song for the Pakistani television series “Mohabbat Jaye Bhar Mein,” which became a huge hit in both India and Pakistan.
In 2017, she sang and composed a song titled ’24 Hours Irresponsible’ in collaboration with an American band called Big Mountain.
Shibani Kashyap made a cameo appearance in the film Helicopter Eela, in 2018.
The “Wanna Be Free” singer made a special appearance in the TV show “Ek Veer Ki Ardaas: Veera” on StarPlus as Megha Kapoor, a music mentor, in 2018.
In a TV show called Desi Beats, Shibani Kashyap was the host along with Chin2 Bhosle (Asha Bhosle‘s grandson). She was also one of the judges on the Telugu TV show ‘Bathroom Singer’ along with Actor Ravi Kishan in 2007.
In 2019, she co-judged a TV show “Dil Ki Awaaz” with popular singer Bappi Lahiri in Oman.
- Channel V Award (1998) for Best Indian Music Video for “Ho Gayi Hai Mohabbat”
- Bharat Nirmaan Award (2000) for her contribution in music
- Sahara Sangeet Award (2005) for Best Female Pop Singer
- Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Award (2018) for Best Playback Singer
- Rajiv Gandhi Global Excellence Award (2018)
- Pride of Nation Excellence Award (2019)
- Star Achiever Awards, New Delhi (2019)
- Women’s Achiever Award Match by Phulkari Women of Amritsar (2019)
- Women Of Excellence Award (2022)
- Musician: Sting
- Actress: Katrina Kaif
- Animal: Dog
- Drink: Chai
- Street food: Gol Gappa, Papri chaat, Butter chicken, Momos, and Samosa
- Monument: Humayun’s Tomb, Delhi
- Shopping places: Dilli Haat, Sarojini Nagar, and CP–I
- Shibani Kashyap is associated with ‘Roundtable India,’ an NGO that works for providing education to poor children in India. The organization also works to provide many other social services to poverty-stricken people in the country.
- She is an avid dog lover, and she has a pet dog named Kaju.
- When Shibani became the brand ambassador for Yamaha Guitars, she became the only female artist in India to endorse an international brand.
- Shibani once met a 23-year-old acid attack survivor ‘Neetu.’ She was her fan and told her that she considered Shibani as her inspiration. Now, Neetu runs a small cafe in Agra, called “Neetu’s Tea House” for which Shibani Kashyap had collected funds online.
- On 1 July 2022, she made her debut Metaverse concert. While talking about it in an interview, she said,
Metaverse holds the key to the future of entertainment. From being the first artist on Hungama ArtistAloud, to now being a part of their first concert in Metaverse, I feel truly blessed to be associated with the ever-evolving Hungama Digital.” The Times of India
- Shibani is a fitness enthusiast, and she is a regular yoga practitioner.
- On 7 August 2022, she received an invitation to participate in the 11th India Day Parade held in the United States as the guest of honour to celebrate the 75th Independence Day of India.
- In 2022, Shibani attended and performed at Delhi Times Fashion Week in Delhi.
- In an interview, she said that she herself learnt to play the guitar by spending 8-12 hours every day.
- She once collaborated with Bappi Lahiri on the song ‘Zamaana Toh Hai Disco Ka.’
- Shibani Kashyap has done various gigs and performed live at many shows and personal events. She has also performed at Worli Festival, Kala Ghoda Festival, and LAVASA Festival. In 2014, Shibani gave a special performance during the closing ceremony at Tarpa Festival held in Silvassa.
- Shibani Kashyap was good friends with late singer Krishnakumar Kunnath, popularly known as KK. During an interview, Shibani talked about KK and said,
I spent my early childhood years in Delhi with the gang, which is KK. The whole gang used to do a lot of gigs. I used to sing a lot of jingles with him. And he used to come to pick me up on his bike and we used to go to the studio and record for Pradeep Sarkar and the whole gang. We have done so many shows together. He and I did a tour with Siddharth Basu. We have done live quiz shows where we would perform between the quiz. We did a lot of concerts together.”
- She was selected to represent India at the 1999 annual international music festival ‘Azia Dauysy’ held in Kazakhstan.
- In an interview, Shibani said that she was part of a band in Delhi called “Black slades” (now called “JEREMIAH 29:11”), which is a city-based band.
- On 12 March 2015, she performed at the 45th Independence day of Mauritius, where the President of India was the guest of honour.
- In 2014, Shibani was invited to launch an online membership drive for the Bharatiya Janata Party.
— Shibani Kashyap (@shibanikashyap) July 6, 2014