Sanya Malhotra is an Indian actor, model, and dancer. The actress, who is steadily making her way into Bollywood, is best-known for her portrayal of the role of Babita Phogat in the highest grossing movie of 2016, ‘Dangal’. Let’s look at the life, career and many other facts of this beautiful star.
Sanya Malhotra was born on 25 February 1992 (29 years) in Delhi, India. Sanya, famous for her role of Babita Phogat in ‘Dangal‘, is gradually spreading her wings in the glamour world. Her journey in the Bollywood began as a model featuring in many commercials for the top brands. During the auditions for the popular role of ‘Babita Kumari’ in Dangal, she beat around 10,000 girls to get the lead position. Impressing everyone with her versatile acting skills, she has bagged a number of movies after her path-breaking performance in the movie Dangal. She is a part of Ritesh Batra’s ‘Photograph‘ alongside Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Vishal Bhardwaj’s ‘Pataakha‘ with Radhika Madan and ‘Badhai Ho‘ opposite Ayushmann Khurrana. In addition to these, Sanya is confirmed for a dance film which is going to be directed by the renowned choreographer, Bosco Martis.
The tomboy actress has 5′ 2″ height and weighs around 50 kilos. Her figure measurements are 32-26-32. She has black eyes and black hair colour.
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
The Piscean star was born in Delhi, India to Sunil Malhotra, an engineer, and Renu Malhotra, a homemaker. She belongs to a middle-class Punjabi Khatri family.
She has one elder sister, Shagun Malhotra.
Sanya Malhotra is unmarried as of now.
Sanya did her schooling from Ryan International School, Mayur Vihar, Delhi. During her childhood, she suffered from a stammering problem, which she had overcome with time.
She is a graduate from Gargi College, University of Delhi, New Delhi. She has always been passionate about dance and is a trained ballet dancer.
As a kid, she used to be influenced by Bollywood award shows and showcased her acting abilities at the theatre plays in Delhi.
In 2013, she reached Mumbai to participate in Zee TV’s dance reality show ‘Dance India Dance,’ but unfortunately could not land beyond top 100. Though she left dancing after failing to contest in ‘Dance India Dance,’ she stayed in Mumbai to try her luck in acting and initially did various commercials.
Sanya Malhotra got her big break with the biggest hit of 2016 ‘Dangal,’ where she played the role of Babita Kumari, daughter of Mahavir Singh Phogat, an Indian female wrestler. Babita Kumari Phogat won the gold medal in 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Malhotra, along with Zaira Wasim, Fatima Sana Sheikh, and Suhani Bhatnagar used to stay together at Aamir Khan‘s old apartment in Mumbai for 6 months during the filming of ‘Dangal.’
After doing ‘Dangal’, she worked as an intern at ‘Aamir Khan Productions,’ where she learned the skills of pre-production, post-production, background score and VFX. Sanya turned choreographer for Aamir Khan’s production film ‘Secret Superstar’ (2017).
In the year 2018, Sanya Malhotra won the Best New Action Star at the prestigious 4th annual Jackie Chan Action Movie Week in China.
- Sanya likes to eat Rajma Chawal.
- Sanya prefers coffee and beetroot juice in her choice of beverages.
- Aamir Khan and Ranbir Kapoor are Sanya’s favourite actors.
- Her list of all-time favourite movies includes Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil Chahta Hai, Maqbool, and The Lunchbox.
- Sanya admires the works of Karan Johar, Vishal Bhardwaj, and Imtiaz Ali.
- She likes to go to Europe for her vacations.
- Sanya Malhotra loves listening to Lana Del Ray and Coldplay.
Sanya has got one tattoo on her left arm.
- Sanya does not smoke, although she drinks alcohol.
- She is an avid cat and dog lover.
- She is a non-vegetarian.
- Her hobbies include dancing, travelling, reading books, and doing yoga.
- Sanya loves flowers.
- Malhotra lives in a 3-BHK apartment in Mumbai.
- Here’s Sanya Malhotra’s signature:
- In November 2021, she bought an apartment worth Rs. 14.3 crore in the Bayview building on Juhu-Versova Link Road. India Today