Zaira Wasim is an Indian child actress who is best known for her playing the role of childhood character of Indian sportswoman Geeta Phogat in the popular movie Dangal and for this role she competed among thousands of girls. She mainly works in the Bollywood film industry. She won National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for the movie Dangal. For more information about her, check out Zaira Wasim Wiki, Height, Weight, Age, Boyfriend, Family, Biography, Facts & More.
Zaira Wasim was born in 2000 who blows out her birthday candles every year on 23 October. She is a Muslim girl who was born and brought up in Hawal, Downtown, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir, India.
She completed her initial schooling at St. Paul’s International Academy, Sonwar Bagh, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir and currently (2017) pursuing a secondary education from Heritage School, Jammu.
Zaira carries an innocent, sweet and cute look. She is short; 5′ 1” & weighs approx 50 kg. She has been god gifted with black eyes, black hair, and fair complexion.
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
She was born and brought up in a Muslim family with the Islam ethnicity in Hawal, Downtown, Srinagar, Jammu, and Kashmir. She is a half Kashmiri and half Punjabi descent.
She lives with her parents and one younger brother Zoraiz Wasim. Her father Zahid Wasim is Executive Manager of Jammu and Kashmir Bank while her mother Zarqa Wasim is a teacher. She is close to her father.
She is a single and not dating anyone.
Since her childhood, she is a brilliant student. She scored 92% marks in 10th board examination. Currently (2017) she is pursuing a secondary education from Heritage School, Jammu.
Before entering into the Bollywood, she has acted in two television commercials- Microsoft Lumia and Tata Sky. In 2016, she started her career in Bollywood with the superhit Bollywood movie Dangal in which she played the role of childhood character of Indian Sportsgirl Geeta Phogat.
She won three awards for the movie Dangal including National Film Award, Big Zee Entertainment Award, National Child Actress for the best child actress.
In 2017, she appeared in the movie Insiya Malik.
- Trimmed hair pictures of Wasim for her role in Dangal was trolled online by radical Muslims for having been un-Islamic by acting in a Hindi film.
- In 2016, Zaira had a controversial meeting with Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti when she had portrayed herself as a role model for Kashmiri youth. Later, she confessed on her Facebook and Instagram account which she deleted shortly after, that she was not proud of what she had done in the last six months and apologized for considering her as a role model for Kashmiri youth.
- On January 2017, the former Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel tweeted that ”This painting tells a story similar to @zairawasim. Pinjra torh kar hamari betiyan barhne lagi hai aage (Our daughters are breaking out of their cages and moving forward) More power to our daughters!” In reply, Zaira tweeted “I feel I must disagree. I request you not to connect me to such a discourteous depiction. Women in hijab are beautiful and free. Moreover, the story depicted through this painting is not even remotely relevant to mine.” After that, Goel responded, Zaira had misunderstood his tweet and he appreciated her work and meant to discourage evil and patriarchal notions.
- Before acting in the movies, she appeared in the TVC ads for Microsoft Lumia and Tata Sky.
- Initially, her parents did not agree with her decision to act in a movie but Zaira’s school principle convinced them for letting her work in the movie Dangal.
- She did a hard training for the role of a wrestler.
- While preparing for the Dangal, she stayed along with Fatima Sana Shaikh, Sanya Malhotra, Suhani Bhatnagar at Aamir’s Khan’s old apartment in Mumbai for 6 months.
- She is also the youth ambassador for the Bengaluru Midnight Marathon 2017.
- In an interview, she said that she is very shy and have limited number of friends.
- She has some unusual and cranky likings like earthquakes, turbulent flights, wind turbines and loves to break things.
- She loves to listen to melodious songs and her all-time favourite song is Jealous by Labrinth.
- She is a die-hard fan of Ed Sheeran.
- She plays the guitar very well.
- She is a cat lover.