Sandeep Reddy Vanga is an Indian director, writer, and editor, who predominantly works in Telugu and Hindi films. He rose to fame after directing his first Telugu feature film Arjun Reddy (2017). In 2019, he made a remake of Arjun Reddy in Hindi-language titled ‘Kabir Singh,’ which ranked as one the highest-grossing Hindi films of all time.
Sandeep Reddy Vanga was born on Friday, 25 December 1981 (age 42 years; as of 2023) in Warangal, Telangana, India. His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
Growing up, Sandeep was a complete movie buff and used to watch first-day first-show of Chiranjeevi’s movies in theatres with his brother. In an interview, while talking about it, he said,
The fans used to make such a noise that it was hard to hear the dialogue. You just went for the experience.”
He did his schooling at Platinum Jubilee High School, Warangal, up to class 8 and then moved to Hyderabad, where he pursued his class 9 to class 12 at Siddartha High School. Sandeep was good at his studies in school and his parents wanted him to pursue medicine or engineering. He chose physiotherapy as he found engineering dry. Sandeep attended SDM College of Physiotherapy, Dharwad, Karnataka, to pursue a bachelor’s degree in physiotherapy.
While he was in college, he realised that he didn’t want to make a career in the medical line and soon after completing his graduation, Sandeep moved to Australia to study cinema at International Film School, Sydney (now known as AFTT – Academy of Film, Theatre & Television), Australia.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Sandeep Reddy Vanga belongs to a Hindu family.
Parents & Siblings
Sandeep Reddy Vanga’s father’s name is Prabhakar Reddy, and his mother’s name is Sujatha. He has an elder brother, Pranay Reddy Vanga, is a film producer and software engineer. Pranay Reddy Vanga produced the film Arjun Reddy in 2017 under the banner Bhadrakali Pictures. As of 2023, he works as a Systems Engineer at FanniMae in the United States.
Wife & Children
After completing his graduation, Sandeep Reddy Vanga worked as an apprentice for the Telugu film Manasu Maata Vinadhu in 2005 at Rushikonda Beach, Vizag. He worked on the film for 25 days. While pursuing a course at AFTT, Sandeep worked part-time at Subway. In 2010, he returned to India from Australia, and started working as an assistant director under Kiran Kumar for the Telugu-language action film Kedi. He then worked as an associate director under Kranthi Madhav for the film Malli Malli Idi Rani Roju (2015).
He made his debut as a director with the Telugu film Arjun Reddy (2017). The film was a blockbuster and went on to collect over Rs. 50 crores at the box office against its small budget of Rs. 4-5 crores. Although the film performed exceedingly well at the box office, it was criticised by the audience and critics for the depiction of smoking, drug use, and its kissing scenes.
A year later, he played a cameo as Vedantam Raghavayya in the Telugu-language biographical film Mahanati (2018). In 2019, Sandeep directed the Hindi adaptation of the Telugu film Arjun Reddy, Kabir Singh. He also worked as a co-editor for the film. The film starred Shahid Kapoor and Kiara Advani in the lead roles and was a blockbuster hit at the box office, earning around Rs 379 crores Worldwide and around Rs 278 crores in India.
In October 2021, he announced his Telugu film Spirit starring Prabhas. In 2023, he directed the Bollywood film Animal which starred Ranbir Kapoor, Bobby Deol, Anil Kapoor, and Rashmika Mandanna. Sandeep also worked as the writer and editor of the film.
Kabir Singh Controversy
Following the release of Sandeep’s Bollywood directorial debut ‘Kabir Singh’ (2019), Sandeep Vanga was criticised for revealing his definition of emotions in an interview. He said,
When you are deeply in love and deeply connected to a woman (and vice versa), if you don’t have the liberty of slapping each other, then I don’t see anything there. She slapped him without a reason, at least Kabir had a reason to slap her. If you can’t slap, if you can’t touch your woman wherever you want, if you can’t kiss, I don’t see emotion there.”
What I meant was that there should be no barrier between two people in love. I never used the word abuse, which is being wrongly attributed to me. If you’re not brutally honest with each other, what’s the point of a relationship?”
- 7th South Indian International Movie Award for Best Debut Director (Telugu) for the film Arjun Reddy (2018)
- 49th Cinegoers Award for Best Debut Director for the film Arjun Reddy (2018)
- Filmmaker(s): David Fincher, Martin Scorsese
- Musician(s): Ilaiyaraaja, Lucky Ali, Bob Marley
- Film(s): 7G Brindavan Colony (2004), Tamasha (2015), A Requiem For A Dream (2000), Goodfellas (1990)
- Sandeep Reddy Vanga loves watching films, flying kites, listening to the music, and doing photography in his leisure time.
- He is fond of riding vintage bikes.
- In an interview, Sandeep Vanga expressed his desire to collaborate with the Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan for a film.
- Sandeep follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- After working in a few films as an assistant director, Sandeep began writing the script for the Telugu film Sugar Factory, which was supposed to be his directorial debut. However, he dropped the script in between and began writing the script for Arjun Reddy, his directorial debut film, in 2013. Sandeep took two years to write the script of Arjun Reddy.
- He is often spotted smoking cigarettes on the sets of his films.
- Sandeep is often spotted consuming alcohol on various occasions.
- In an interview, Sandeep revealed after he penned the story of the Telugu film Arjun Reddy, many producers promised to produce his film, however, later they backed out. It was then that his father and brother launched a company named Bhadrakali Pictures, under which they produced the film Arjun Reddy.