Ravish Kumar is an Indian journalist, author, and TV anchor who is considered one of the most popular Hindi journalists in India. He is best known for his monologues in one of the most watched TV news shows of NDTV India- Prime Time.
Ravish Kumar was born on 5 December 1974 (age 44 Years; as in 2018) in Jitvarpur Village in Motihari, Bihar. He did his schooling from a convent school in Patna. For his further studies, Ravish shifted to Delhi in 1990, where he was enrolled in Deshbandhu College. At Deshbandhu College, lecturers like Anil Sethi and Rana Bahal became his mentors. While talking about Anil Sethi and Rana Bahal, ravish says-
They taught me English, how to eat at a table, how to talk to girls, how to wear a tie.”
After completing his graduation in History, Ravish started preparing for the Civil Services Examination. However, he couldn’t clear the examination and move on to pursue his Master’s in History from Deshbandhu College followed by an M.Phil. from Delhi University. Thereafter, he went on to earn a Post-graduate diploma in Journalism from the Indian Institute of Mass Communication. Remembering his college days in Delhi, Ravish shares an incident that once he was told that if he wanted to ‘look at girls,’ he should head to the M Block GK I Market. Ravish Kumar also says that before coming to Delhi he had only seen Lucknow, Jamshedpur, and Ranikhet on the name of big cities. During his Master’s in History at Delhi University, Ravish came to know about the late Parthasarathi Gupta, a brilliant Delhi University History Professor. Professor Gupta was affectionately known to his students as PSG. Gupta’s lectures on urbanization became like a guide for Ravish, which changed the way Ravish viewed the city.
Weight: 80 kg
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
Ravish Kumar was born into a modest Bhumihar Brahmin Family. His father’s name is Baliram who lives in Jitvarpur Village of East Champaran. There is not much information about his mother. His brother, Brajesh Kumar Pandey, is an active politician in Bihar who has also fought elections on the ticket of the Indian National Congress. However, Brajesh had to quit Congress after his name appeared in a sex scandal.
It was during his M.Phil. studies that Ravish Kumar met his future wife, Nayana Dasgupta, who was studying at Indraprastha College in Delhi.
Before getting married, Ravish and Nayana had dated for around seven years. In those days, Ravish never had enough money, so he would often take Nayana for long walks and visit coffee houses. When Ravish told his family about Nayana, they blatantly objected to their marriage. However, Ravish broke the ties with his family for Nayana and got married to her. The couple went on to have two daughters.
In 1996, Ravish Kumar joined NDTV India. At NDTV, Ravish escalated to a senior post rapidly- from a reporter to a senior executive editor. Many of his shows including Ravish Ki Report, Hum Log, and Prime Time are considered one of the most watched Hindi news shows in India.
Most of his shows cover the topics from the socio-political issues. The first “Ravish Ki Report” was on Paharganj.
- When his brother, Brajesh Kumar Pandey, was booked in a sex racket case in 2017, Ravish Kumar was criticized for not reporting about the incident in his news shows.
- Ravish Kumar also attracted controversy for implicitly criticizing Arnab Goswami.
- After the establishment of the Narendra Modi Government at the centre, Ravish Kumar has often complained about receiving death threats and abusive phone calls.
- After being repeatedly trolled on Twitter, he left Twitter in August 2015.
Awards & Honours
- Ganesh Sankar Vidyarthi Award in 2010
- Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Award in 2013 for the Journalist of The Year
- Indian News Television Award for the best news anchor in Hindi in 2014
- The Indian Express included him in the 100 most influential Indians list in 2016
- He was named the best journalist of the year by Mumbai Press Club in 2016
- Honoured with the first Kuldip Nayar journalism award for his contribution to the field of journalism in 2017
- Teacher: Late Parthasarathi Gupta (History Professor of Delhi University)
- Actor: Amitabh Bachchan
- Ravish Kumar loves listening to old Hindi songs.
- He is so scared of English-speaking people that when he first came to Delhi, he rented a Barsati in the bylanes of Govindpuri, away from ‘English- speaking zones.’
- Ravish has done a love marriage.
- His family didn’t allow him to get married to Nayana Dasgupta; as she is a Bengali while Ravish is a Bhumihar Brahmin.
- Even after being a TV anchor, Ravish is often seen quoting about not to watch TV News.
- He often complains about being trolled on social media and for often being interfered in his personal life.
- Ravish has evolved a unique style of short story writing, and he calls these stories as Laprek- Laghu Prem Katha. He has compiled these stories in a book titled “Ishq Mein Sheher Hona.”
- He has also penned down another book titled “The Free Voice – On Democracy, Culture and The Nation.”
- Ravish Kumar also runs a personal blog- ‘naisadak.blogspot.com.’
- A popular YouTube channel, The Screen Patti (TSP) runs a programme titled Rabish Ki Report in which actor Shivankit Singh Parihar portrays Ravish Kumar as “Raja Rabish Kumar.”