Arnab Goswami is an Indian Journalist and a news anchor. Goswami is the Editor-in-Chief, and Managing Director of the news channel, “Republic TV.” Let’s find out some more interesting facts about Arnab Goswami.
Arnab Goswami was born on 9 October 1973 (age 47 years; as of 2020) in Guwahati, Assam, India. As his father was an army officer, Arnab spent his childhood in various cities attending different schools. He completed his higher education from Mount St. Mary’s School, Delhi Cantonment, and went to Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jabalpur Cantonment to complete his senior secondary education. When he was in 6th standard, he developed an interest in debates. Goswami has a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology from the Hindu College, Delhi University. He completed his Master’s in Social Anthropology from Oxford University, England.
Arnab has politics in his genes, as he comes from a family with a political background. But he has always tried to stay away from the political links of his family.
Height (approx.): 5’ 11”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Arnab Goswami was born into an Assamese Brahmin Family. He is the son of Manoranjan Goswami, a retd. colonel and Suprabha Goswami. His father also contested the general elections from Guwahati on behalf of the BJP but lost to Congress candidate, Bhubaneswar Kalita. His grandfather, Rajani Kanta Goswami, was a judge, a Bhartiya Jana Sangh leader, and an independence activist. His uncle, Dinesh Goswami, was a union law minister for a brief period under the Vishwanath Pratap Singh government. Arnab’s sister is in Indian Defence and his brother-in-law is in Indian Defence Services.
Arnab Goswami is married to Pipi Goswami, and the couple has two children.
In 1990, he started his career in journalism with the newspaper ‘The Telegraph.’ It was the shortest career spell he ever had and left the job in less than a year. In 1995, Goswami relocated to Delhi and bagged his first job as a news anchor at NDTV 24×7. He worked as a news broadcaster at NDTV 24×7 for three years and later, became the news editor there. Arnab hosted his own show on NDTV and even co-anchored a show with Rajdeep Sardesai on DD Metro channel. He won the Best News Anchor of Asia award in 2004 for his show titled ‘Newsnight.’
In 2002, he launched his first book, ‘Combating Terrorism: The Legal Challenge,’ which details all the difficulties in making laws against terrorists and terrorism.
In 2006, he became the editor-in-chief of the Times Now news channel. He hosted the show ‘Newshour’ that aired at 9 pm with the live news coverage. Goswami also hosted a special programme ‘Frankly Speaking with Arnab’ and interviewed personalities like Benazir Bhutto, Hamid Karzai, Dalai Lama, Hillary Clinton, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In November 2016, Arnab announced his departure from Times Now to start his new venture.
On 6 May 2017, he launched his own news channel “Republic TV,” which grabbed the #1 spot within a week of its launch after defeating its rival, Times Now.
- He has been criticized by a fraction of society for his style of the TV panel discussion. Kavita Krishnan, an activist of Communist Party of India, criticized him and his channel for identifying rape-accused as a rapist and terror-accused as a terrorist.
- His channel Republic TV received a notice from NBSA (News Broadcasting Standards Authority), asking the channel to display a full-screen apology for the use of words ‘vulgar thug,’ ‘pervert,’ ‘sexist,’ ‘lewd,’ ‘goon,’ ‘hyena,’ and ‘anti-Indian,’ which Arnab had used against a person named A. Singh during one of his shows.
- In May 2017, The Bennet Coleman & Co. Ltd, also known as The Times Now Group, lodged a police complaint against Arnab Goswami (former editor-in-chief of The Times Now Group) claiming theft, infringement of Intellectual Property Rights, criminal breach of trust, and certain other charges.
- On May 26, 2017, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor filed a defamation case in the Delhi High Court against Arnab’s TV channel, Republic TV, for linking Tharoor to his wife’s death.
- In April 2020, he faced allegations for using derogatory words against Sonia Gandhi during a panel discussion on his show about the Palghar lynching in Maharashtra. Multiple FIRs were lodged against him for this act. Deccan Herald
- On 4 November 2020, he was arrested by the Raigad police in connection with abetment to suicide case. According to police, Mr. Goswami was being investigated for his alleged role in the death of an architect, Anvay Naik, who designed his studio. Reportedly, in May 2018, Mr Naik and his mother were found dead at their home in Alibaug, Maharashtra. According to Mr. Naik’s wife, he had left a suicide note in which he blamed Mr Goswami for his death. On the morning of 4 November 2020, Arnab was arrested in a joint operation by the Raigad police and the Mumbai Police from his home in Mumbai. BBC
Later, a suicide note, written by Mr. Naik, started doing rounds on social media in which Arnab Goswami was held responsible for his death.
On 11 November 2020, a two-judge bench of Justices DY Chandrachud and Indira Banerjee of the Supreme Court of India granted him interim bail in this abetment to suicide case. NDTV
- Arnab won the ‘Asian Television Award for Best Presenter’ in 2003.
- He was presented with the ‘Society Young Achievers Award’ in 2007.
- In 2010, Arnab was awarded ‘Assamese of the Year Award’ by News Live.
- In 2010, he was also awarded the ‘Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism (TV)’ by the Indian Express Group.
Arnab gets paid around ₹1 Crore a month.
- His hobbies include reading, travelling, and watching movies.
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee is his favourite politician.
- He loves to hear Bhupen Hazarika’s (Assamese Playback Singer) music and considers him as his role model.
- Arnab follows a Non-Vegetarian diet.
- In 2015, Goswami became the first journalist to ring the opening bell at the BSE on its 140th year.
- He originally belongs to a village in Assam’s Borpeta district, but his family migrated to Shillong and then got settled in Guwahati.
- In March 2015, Goswami noticed a businessman driving a Lamborghini car at a high speed on the Bandra Worli Sea Link, and called Mumbai Police to take some action. Later, the police arrested the businessman.
- Sonia Gandhi was the first person to be interviewed by Arnab Goswami.
- Arnab Goswami’s full name is Arnab Ranjan Goswami.
- In 2015, during a debate on Times Now show, Arnab was shown the middle finger by Mahua Moitra, a Trinamool Congress leader.
Get your information checked well. Arnab Goswami doesn’t come of a Bengali Brahmin Family, he was born into an Assamese Brahmin family. You may check Wikipedia. Please don’t mislead people.
If any one say him bengoli…We get shame..Bece we r proud For Tegore amarta sen avijit bhattacharya satyajit Mrinal sen .Ritkk ghotok new life scientist From Nasa to whole world …Also bengolis have lot of lot jewels ..From freedom fighter to author to any field..Who are i India’s pride..
As a Bengoli journalist we proud for pronoy roy…All the world’s known his style his movements