Lakshmi Menon is an Indian Model. She broke the stereotypes for being the only Indian woman to consistently mark her presence on popular International runways such as New York, Paris and Milan. Let us find out some interesting facts about Lakshmi Menon and her journey into modelling.
Lakshmi Menon was born on 4 November 1981 (age 38; as in 2019) in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. She graduated with a degree in Sociology from the Bangalore University, Bengaluru.
Because of her extraordinary height, she was approached by a modelling scout during her college days. Initially, Lakshmi started working as a part-time model until she graduated and took up modelling as her full-time career. She started her journey as an Indian model on the international runway at the age of 25 with Jean Paul Gaultier’s show in Paris. Since then, there has been no looking back for Lakshmi.
Height: 5’ 11”
Eye Colour: Brown
Figure Measurements: 32-24-34
Family, Boyfriend & Husband
Lakshmi was born into a Hindu Family. Her father was an Indian Army Personnel and her mother was a school teacher. They hail from Kerala. She has a brother who resides in Bangalore.
Lakshmi was reported to be in a live-in relationship for a very long time with Prabuddha Dasgupta, who was India’s leading fashion photographer until his death in 2012. Later, there were speculations of her dating an award-winning architect Bijoy Jain, which did not last for a long time.
In 2018, Lakshmi tied the knot with Suhel Seth, ad-man, a columnist, and actor in Gurugram, Haryana, India; after being in a relationship for over a year. Suhel is 18 years elder to Lakshmi and a divorcee.
After graduation, Lakshmi did various modelling assignments in India. However, the Indian glamour world was still obsessed with fair skin and most of the big ad campaigns often featured Bollywood starlets. As a result, Lakshmi could not make much success in the Indian modelling industry.
Lakshmi got a big break for her modelling career in 2006 when she was featured by Jean Paul Gaultier, who wanted an Indian model to walk at his show in Paris. Subsequently, she did campaigns for Hermes, Max Mara, H&M, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale’s, Neiman Marcus, and Nordstrom. She then appeared in the editorials of American, Indian, Indian Elle and Allure, Harper’s Bazaar, V Magazine, and Dazed & Confused. In 2011, Lakshmi became the first Indian model to be featured in the Pirelli Calendar.
Throughout her career in modelling, she has worked with renowned photographers and magazines. She has been photographed by Mario Testino, Steven Meisel, Terry Richardson, Patrick Demarchelier, and Prabuddha Dasgupta.
- ‘Style.com’ listed Lakshmi among the Top 10 Newcomers of the Season in October 2008.
- She became the face of Hermes’ in 2008.
- In December 2008, she was crowned Vogue’s “This Year’s Model.”
- Lucie Greene predicted that Menon would get hold of the status of a Supermodel in 2009.
- In 2009, she was featured as a ‘Rising star’ by New York Look.
- Lakshmi loves to eat dark chocolates, Indian and Japanese Cuisines.
- She prefers to watch movies starring Matthew McConaughey films.
- Her hobbies include travelling, swimming, running, pilates, reading, and watching movies.
- She adores dogs and has around 10 pet dogs at her home.
- New York and Thailand are her favourite destinations.
- She admires the styles of Savio Jon, Rajesh Pratap, Anamika Khanna, Yohji Yamamoto, and Derek Lam.
- Her favourite book is The Road by author Cormac McCarthy.
- She loves listening to songs sung by Tom Waits.
- She likes watching the movie Bicycle Thieves.
- She adores the Jewellery Designs of Esther Brinkmann.
- Her favourite restaurants include Bomra’s, La Plage in Goa, Motorino’s Pizza in New York, and Dave’s restaurant in Paris.
- She likes to shop at Kiliwatch, Yohji Yamamoto, Etienne Marcel, Yves Saint Laurent in Paris, Sacha’s Shop in Goa, and Opening Ceremony in New York City.
- She admires the brands like Dior, Alexander Wang, Haider Ackermann, Dries Van Noten, Isabel Marant, Celine, and The Row.
- She likes to buy books from Literati book shop in Candolim, Goa.
- She adores the directing of Vittorio de Sica, Francois Truffaut, Yasujiro Ozu.
- She loves to drink Red Wine.
- Lakshmi enjoys living in Goa and has a home in Panjim, Goa.
- She was often misinterpreted for being a South American or a Middle-Eastern model.
- Gayatri Devi, the last Maharani of Jaipur is her icon.
- All of her three boyfriends (Prabuddha Dasgupta, Bijoy Jain, and Suhel Seth) were more than 15 years elder to her.
- She was the first Indian model to feature in a French Vogue.
- She is referred to be a private person and enjoys time with her parents and friends away from the limelight.