Aroosa Alam is a Pakistani Defense Journalist and the President of the South Asia Free Media Association (SAFMA). She is known in India for being a close friend of Captain Amarinder Singh.
Aroosa Alam was born on Sunday, 22 May 1955 (age 66 years; as of 2021) in Pakistan. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. After completing her schooling and college, she started her career as a journalist in 1986.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 34-26-34
Parents & Siblings
Aroosa is the daughter of Aqleem Akhtar, who was also famous as ‘General Rani’ in the 1960s. Her mother was considered the most powerful woman from 1969 till 1971. She was the mistress and muse of Pakistani leader Yahya Khan.
Aroosa`s father was a policeman. She had five siblings.
Husband & Children
Aroosa at the time of being separated from her husband had two sons.
- Fakhr-e-Alam, who is a famous TV host and singer in Pakistan.
- Rafey Alam, who works as a barrister in Dhaka.
Aroosa started her career in journalism in 1986, and she came into the limelight in 1997 after she presented the investigative reports on the Agosta-90B submarine deals that reportedly led to the arrest of the then Pakistan naval chief, Mansurul Haq. India Today
Pakistan concerned about India
Aroosa came to India to visit Captain Amarinder Singh in 2007. Her visit led to controversy for both of them. They were condemned to be in a romantic relationship with each other. They disagreed with all the rumours and clarified that they were just good friends. Amarinder Singh also said that Aroosa had come to India to visit his mother who was ill at that time. The Indian Express
Islam being degraded
Aroosa was considered to be boycotted by the Muslims in 2007 when Maulana Mabibur Rehman Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid, Ludhiana issued a fatwa on Aroosa in 2007. According to the Maulana, Islam does not allow women to have any relation with another man than their husband, sons and brothers. The Times of India
Visa to India cancelled
Probe on being an ISI agent
In 2021, a probe was made on Aroosa for being an ISI agent by the Punjab ministers in power. She was being linked as an ISI agent and a threat to India. She denied the allegation, and her friend Amarinder Singh also shared her images with various Indian leaders on his Facebook page. The Tribune
- Aroosa is a Pakistani defence journalist and also the President of the South Asia Free Media Association (SAFMA) that promotes peace and amity between India and Pakistan. The Quint
- She is called by different names in India. The Indian media referred to her as ‘The First Lady of Punjab’ and ‘Amarinder Singh`s live-in partner.’ India Today
- Aroosa loves to practice Yoga every day.
- Aroosa has known Amarinder for more than 10 years. They met each other in Pakistan when Amarinder made a visit to the country in 2004 for some work.
- Aroosa and Amarinder were criticized by the Indian media for the first time in 2007. They were alleged to be in a relationship with each other, but the allegations were denied by Aroosa. In an interview, she talked about her relations with Amarinder and the allegations put on them and said,
It’s a sensitive issue, I am a Muslim woman, and you know how people back home think. There are fundoos (fundamentalists), there are terrorists. Women are in trouble in Pakistan.”
- She was also angry with the Indian media and so she criticized them in 2007 for making headlines about her relationship with Amarinder Singh. The Indian Express
- In an interview with a radio channel in 2010, Aroosa said that she liked ‘Amarinder’s simplicity’ and “aankh ki sharam.” Hindustan Times
- When Amarinder Singh took oath as the Chief Minister of Punjab on 16 March 2017, Aroosa also attended the ceremony. She was one of the VVIP`s at the function. India Today
- In 2017, Aroosa became a part of the book launch of the book ‘The People`s Maharaja,’ which is based on the life of Captain Amarinder Singh and is written by author Khushwant Singh. The author also added a chapter to the book explaining Amarinder`s relation with Aroosa.
- In an interview, she talked about being referred as an ISI agent and said,
I have travelled with Presidents and Prime Ministers on official state visits. Does that make me an ISI agent? If any of you travels abroad with your Prime Minister, does that make you an agent of the RAW? I am definitely not an ISI agent.”
- According to some reports, Amarinder gifted a house worth Rs 10 crore in Pakistan to Aroosa. India TV
- She had visited India many times, and she used to stay in Patiala with Amarinder`s family, but now she stays in Chandigarh whenever she visits India.
- Amarinder and his family have not yet publicly accepted the relationship between Amarinder and Aroosa.
- Aroosa is an avid dog lover and often posts pictures of her dog on social media.
- She often posts pictures of her grandchildren on social media.