Aroosa Alam is a Pakistani Defense Journalist and the President of the South Asia Free Media Association (SAFMA). She is known in India for being a close friend of Captain Amarinder Singh.
Aroosa Alam was born on Sunday, 22 May 1955 (age 66 years; as of 2021) in Pakistan. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. After completing her schooling and college, she started her career as a journalist in 1986.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 34-26-34
Parents & Siblings
Aroosa is the daughter of Aqleem Akhtar, who was also famous as ‘General Rani’ in the 1960s. Her mother was considered one of the most powerful women in Pakistan from 1969 to 1971 as she was the mistress and muse of Pakistani leader Yahya Khan.
Aroosa`s father was a policeman. She had five siblings.
Husband & Children
Aroosa, at the time of her separation from her husband, had two sons, Fakhr-e-Alam and Rafey Alam. Fakhr-e-Alam is a famous TV host and singer in Pakistan.
Rafey Alam is a barrister in Dhaka.
Aroosa started her career in journalism in 1986, and she came into the limelight in 1997 after she presented the investigative reports on the Agosta-90B submarine deals that reportedly led to the arrest of the then Pakistan naval chief, Mansurul Haq. India Today
Relationship with Captain Amarinder Singh
Aroosa and Amarinder Singh’s relationship have been extensively covered by both Indian and Pakistani media. Although media has often indicated that both share a romantic relationship, Aroosa and Amarinder never gave their assent to this. It all started when Aroosa first visited India to meet Captain Amarinder Singh in 2007. The Indian Express
A Fatwa issued against Aroosa
In 2007, Maulana Mabibur Rehman Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid, Ludhiana issued a fatwa on Aroosa for her rumoured relationship with Captain Amarinder Singh. According to Maulana, Islam does not allow women to have any relation with any other man except their husband, sons, and brothers. The Times of India
Probe on being an ISI agent
In 2021, a probe was conducted against Aroosa for being an ISI agent by the Punjab ministers in power. Some reports termed her as an ISI agent and a threat to India. She denied the allegation, and her friend Amarinder Singh also came forward in support of Aroosa, and he shared some photographs of Aroosa in which Aroosa can be seen with many dignitaries in India. The Tribune
- She is called by different names in India. The Indian media have often referred to her as ‘The First Lady of Punjab’ and ‘Amarinder Singh’s live-in partner.’ India Today
- Aroosa loves to practice Yoga every day.
- Reportedly, Aroosa and Amarinder first met each other in Pakistan when Amarinder made a visit to the country in 2004 for some work.
- In an interview, she talked about her relations with Amarinder and the allegations put on them and said,
It’s a sensitive issue, I am a Muslim woman, and you know how people back home think. There are fundoos (fundamentalists), there are terrorists. Women are in trouble in Pakistan.”
- In an interview with a radio channel in 2010, Aroosa said that she liked ‘Amarinder’s simplicity’ and “aankh ki sharam.” Hindustan Times
- When Amarinder Singh took oath as the Chief Minister of Punjab on 16 March 2017, Aroosa also attended the ceremony. She was one of the VVIP`s at the function. India Today
- In 2017, Aroosa appear at the book launch of the book ‘The People`s Maharaja’ written by Khushwant Singh; the book is based on the life of Captain Amarinder Singh. The author also added a chapter to the book explaining Amarinder’s relation with Aroosa.
- In an interview, she talked about being referred to as an ISI agent in media and said,
I have travelled with Presidents and Prime Ministers on official state visits. Does that make me an ISI agent? If any of you travels abroad with your Prime Minister, does that make you an agent of the RAW? I am definitely not an ISI agent.”
- According to some reports, Amarinder has gifted a house worth Rs. 10 crores to Aroosa in Pakistan. India TV
- Aroosa is an avid dog lover and often posts pictures of her dog on social media.
- She often posts pictures of her grandchildren on social media.