Prabal Gurung was born on Saturday, 31 March 1979 (age 44 years; as of 2023) in Singapore. He grew up in Kathmandu, Nepal. His zodiac sign is Aries. Prabal did his schooling at St. Xavier’s School in Jawalakhel. He pursued graduation in hotel management at the National Council of Hotel Management, Catering Technology, and Applied Nutrition. Prabal always had a keen interest in colors and designs, which led him to follow his passion and get himself enrolled at the National Institute of Fashion Technology in New Delhi. Later, he moved to New York and went to Parsons School for Design, where he studied under an internship with Donna Karan.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 40-30-34
Parents & Siblings
Prabal Gurung was raised by Nepali parents. His mother, Durga Rana, was a boutique owner. He is the youngest of his two siblings. His brother, Pravesh Rana Gurung, is an Indian film director, and his sister, Kumudini Shrestha, is a teacher and social worker. There is not much information about his father.
Prabal is unmarried.
He follows Hinduism.
Soon after Prabal completed his studies in design, he worked under Cynthia Rowley’s design and production teams for a couple of years. Later, he was appointed as a design director at the iconic Bill Blass, where he served for about 5 years. In February 2009, Gurung launched his designer label named ‘Prabal Gurung.’ His designs gained immense popularity amongst celebrities over the globe. Prabal’s creative and quality work has placed him in the limelight of American fashion with designs worn by leading ladies Michelle Obama, The Duchess of Cambridge, and Kate Middleton.
In November 2013, a former worker named Hana Kim filed a lawsuit against the business in the New York supreme court, claiming that despite putting in 70 to 80 hours a week at Prabal Gurung’s for years, she struggled with depression and had to take time off in April 2013. Vox
- Prabal was a runner-up at the Vogue fashion fund in 2010.
- He was nominated for the Swarovski Women’s Wear Award.
- In 2010, he won the Ecco Donami Fashion Fund Award.
- Food: Pizza, Pasta
- Actor: Tom Cruise
- Actress: Anne Hathaway
- Colour: Black
- In his 2023 winter show, Prabal introduced ‘sindoor,’ a traditional red or orange-colored powder worn by married ladies in India, to the New York Fashion Week runway. The Indian Express
- In 2011, the Gurung family founded the ‘Shikhya Foundation’ in Nepal to provide education to underprivileged children.
- Prabal merged his native country Nepal with his adopted city New York in his designs and said,
- Prabal reach out to his clients with his new collections through his website ‘prabalgurung.com.’
- He is a supporter of LGBTQ rights.