Kim So-eun is a popular South Korean actress who is best known for her work in the K-dramas like Boys Over Flowers (2009), A Thousand Kisses (2011), Our Gap-soon (2016-17), and Evergreen (2018).
Kim So-eun was born on Wednesday, 6 September 1989 (age 30 years; as in 2019) in Toegyewon, Namyangju, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. Her zodiac sign is Virgo.
She did her schooling from Geumgyo Elementary School, Dasan-dong, Gyeonggi Province, Donong Middle School, Guri, Gyeonggi Province, and Sutaek High School, Guri, Gyeonggi Province. She studied at Department of Theatre and Film of Chung-Ang University, Seoul, South Korea.
Height (approx.): 5’ 4”
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Ethnicity
Not much is known about her family. She has a younger sister.
Her name has been linked to actors and singers like Kim Bum, Kang Ha-neul, and Son Ho-joon.
- Will Entertainment (Present)
Kim So-eun made her acting debut in the South Korean film “Two Guys” (2004) with a bit-part; she was studying in junior high school at the time of her debut.
She played a supporting role in the film “Fly, Daddy, Fly” (2006) as ‘Jang Da-mi.’ Her first lead role came with the South Korean film “Mourning Grave” (2014) in which she played the character of a ghost girl named ‘Se-hee.’
She also starred in the films, Entagled (2014), Sky Lantern (2015), and Are We In Love? (2018).
K-dramas & Other Works
She made her K-drama debut with “Sisters of the Sea” (2004) in which she portrayed the role of ‘Young Song Jun-hee.’
She then acted in many serials, such as Sad Love Story (2005), Drama City “First Love” (2006), Chosun Police Season 1 (2007), and Empress Cheonchu (2009). In 2009, she shot to fame with the serial “Boys Over Flowers” (2009) in which she played the role of ‘Chu Ga-eul.’
She then played lead roles in the popular K-dramas, A Thousand Kisses (2011), Happy Ending (2012), Liar Game (2014), The Scholar Who Walks The Night (2015), Our Gap-soon (2016-17), Drama Special – You’re Closer Than I Think (2017), and Evergreen (2018). She made her Chinese debut with the web serial “Secret Angel,” which aired on Sohu.com.
She has participated in various shows, such as Music and Lyrics, Glitter, We Got Married: Season 4, and Wednesday Food Talk.
She also wrote the lyrics of the song ‘Sad Love’ from the K-drama, The Feast of God (2012).
She sang and wrote the song ‘Love Love’ from the K-drama Evergreen (2018).
Awards & Nominations
- Korean Wave Awards – Popular Culture Award in 2014
- MBC Drama Awards – Female Rookie Award for the K-drama “The King’s Doctor” in 2012
- KBS Drama Awards – Female Rookie Award for the K-dramas “Boys Over Flowers,” “He Who Can’t Marry,” and “Empress Cheonchu” in 2009
- Arirang TV 1000th Episode Poll – Best Couple Award (with Kim Bum) for the K-drama “Boys Over Flowers” in 2009
SBS Drama Awards
- Special Acting Award, Actress in a Serial Drama for “Our Gap-soon” in 2016
- Best Couple Award with Song Jae-rim for “Our Gap-soon” in 2016
MBC Entertainment Awards
- New Star of the Year for the show “We Got Married” in 2014
- Best Couple Award (with Song Jae-rim) for the show “We Got Married” in 2014
- Food: Chimaek, Sotteok
- Film(s): The Painted Veil (2006), Colombiana (2011)
- Singer(s): John Lennon, Jae-ha Yoo
- Restaurant: Peter Luger Steak House in Brooklyn
- Sports: Skiing, Fencing, Horse Riding
- She likes doing yoga, watching movies, and going out for walks.
- Her blood type is ‘O.’ Will Entertainment – Artist Profile
- In her childhood, she trained professionally as a national athletic skier. Her training was put on hold when she was chosen as a professional model in the 2003 junior advanced skiing and snowboarding competition in Pyeongchang, Gangwon-do.
- In 2012, she appeared in the instructional videos for Hongcheon’s Vivaldi ski resort.
- She served as the goodwill ambassador for the 2009 Korea International Youth Film Festival, the 2009 University Fashion Week, the 2011 Jeonju International Film Festival, the Golden Cinema Festival in 2013 and 2014, and the 2014 Green Film Festival; as the regular advocate of art films, youth activism, and eco-living.
- So-eun, and famous actors Park Shin-hye, Kim Bum, Go Ara, and Kang Ha-neul were collegemates and are very close friends.
- She is a cat lover and owns a cat named ‘Cuni.’
References [ + ]